Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wifi phone

• 19-12-2008 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭

What the best phone out there with wifi? i need a new one and dont mind spending a few bucks on it, i was looking at the samsung omnia but im not too sure, any thoughts on which one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Nothing beats the Nokia n95 8GB for me at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

E51

it looks like an ordinary mobile. but it has wifi

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

towel401 wrote: »
    E51

it looks like an ordinary mobile. but it has wifi
    Agreed.

I have had no problems with mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

iPhone is the best, hands down. I've used the N95 aswell. Its ok, but can lag. There is the N97 in the new year however. Starting at a cool circa €600

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

Definately the LG Renoir.

I just got mine [WiFi being a main reason].

It's probably the best phone on the market at the moment. [Well for me anyway].

It has an 8mp camera with Xenon flash ans TONNES of features. [iPhone only has 2 with no flash! Hahaha]
    120fps video recording - HQ too. [No video on iPhone].
    GPS and A-GPS.
    3" Touch screen.
    Face-to-face camera [Not on iPhone.]
    It takes Micro SD memory cards [which are cheap] so it has expandable memory. [iPhone has no expandable memory.]
    And it has WiFi.
    Widgets on your home screen.
    First EVER phone with Dolby Mobile. [For advanced sound quality].
    And it has an accelerometer.
    Handwriting recognition - If you want to use that for texting or whatever.
    Full virtual QWERTY keyboard.

And lots more. :D

• Advertisement

ironclaw wrote: »
    iPhone is the best, hands down. I've used the N95 aswell. Its ok, but can lag. There is the N97 in the new year however. Starting at a cool circa €600

The Renoir is superior to the iPhone.

SirDarren wrote: »
    The Renoir is superior to the iPhone.

Entitled to your opinion but after every smart phone on the market, when it comes to web browsing its the iPhone for me

ironclaw wrote: »
    Entitled to your opinion but after every smart phone on the market, when it comes to web browsing its the iPhone for me

Have you tried the Renoir?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

id say its beytween

iphone

renoir

Omnia

they seem to be the best for what im looking for atm, how much and iphone 3g's goin for now unlocked?

I'll try and get my hands on a Renoir. I don't like LG however.

Unlocked 3G iPhone would be fairly useless if your not on a data plan (Web browsing etc) so factor that into your costings. Your looking at €500 delievered I'd say if you shop round.

You could always go Pay As You go with 02.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

I have the N78 and im happy with it for the most part (im blaming my router for connection issues :))

i picked up the Nokia 770 from one of the guys on here. not a phone. but has wifi, or can use bluetooth to connect to the phone to get online. and its got a slightly larger screen than a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

any way to access wifi without a data plan, i have wifi at home and college and there the places i'd be when im usin the wifi.

how much is iphone on o2, the website doenst say it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/iPhone+3G/

actually a couple of the guys in work were looking at a phone there - its like the iphone cept its like 120 euro or something.
    its a really good phone, dispite what you might think... dont have the URL here thoughs orry.

edit: heh just noticed its out of stock on the o2 website :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

any way to access wifi without a data plan, i have wifi at home and college and there the places i'd be when im usin the wifi.

how much is iphone on o2, the website doenst say it?

Sure, you don't need a data plan to access wifi!
    A plus of nokia's S60 phones an the Omnia(wm) is that if you have a decent data plan, you can use the phone as a wifi router - ie, you can share your phone's internet connection with your laptop etc. Requires 3rd party programs though. Can't be done with an ifPhone ;)
    8gb ipgone's currently 480.00 for o2 prepay; the 16gb is 590.00

strecker wrote: »
    Sure, you don't need a data plan to access wifi!
    A plus of nokia's S60 phones an the Omnia(wm) is that if you have a decent data plan, you can use the phone as a wifi router - ie, you can share your phone's internet connection with your laptop etc. Requires 3rd party programs though. Can't be done with an ifPhone ;)
    8gb ipgone's currently 480.00 for o2 prepay; the 16gb is 590.00

You don't need third party programs for doing that nowadays.

That feature has been built into my last 3 phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

What phones were those? I think you misunderstood!!! The phone's the hotspot! So what phones have wifi sharing built-in out of the box?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I think are talking about having a modem.

Modem != Router

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

+1 for the E51

and HTC Touch (Elf)

Advertisement