Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Radical gone

Options
  • 19-12-2008 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

didnt see i posted but timesplitters made by the team that made Goldeneye is alas no more.

Dunno where its an avoidance thing and a "new" company will be born who somehow bought the nearly completed TS4 licence and game.

Shame tho made some good games

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/homenews/185-jobs-risk-games-company/article-558753-detail/article.html <link inserted and text snipped>

Shame really as TimeSpillters series was god damn awesome, probably the best FPS iv ever played for on the consoles

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Stev_o wrote: »

Shame really as TimeSpillters series was god damn awesome, probably the best FPS iv ever played for on the consoles

Altho they never had a proper "theme " to sell they were damn good games, the likes of halo marketted well dont even come close to TS and yet Free radical is dead.

Its like X factor being number 1 and Kings of Leon splitting up due to noone giving a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It was the shambles that was Haze that helped kill them off, after that they found it hard to find a publisher for TS4 which they have been working on.

The media hyped Haze up for some reason possibly from backing by Sony to try and help PS3 sales at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Altho they never had a proper "theme " to sell they were damn good games, the likes of halo marketted well dont even come close to TS and yet Free radical is dead.

Its like X factor being number 1 and Kings of Leon splitting up due to noone giving a ****.
    In fairness, Kings of Leon are ****.

Very sad to see Free Radical go, I really, really enjoyed the Timesplitters games. Some of the most fun multiplayer games I've ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Timesplitters were good, but went downhill as the series went on, and by all accounts Haze was terrible so not a big suprise really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Weren't they saying that Free Radical were supposed to be working on Battlefront 3? :(

In fairness, Kings of Leon are ****.

is X factor/ halo better?

TS game swere all brilliant just clueless in the single player, i wont knock as it was good single player just the game didnt have a theme.

Shame to see it die.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sell outs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Weren't they saying that Free Radical were supposed to be working on Battlefront 3? :(

From what I hear, Lucasarts were unhappy with progress and pulled it from them, which was what put them in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

steviec wrote: »
    From what I hear, Lucasarts were unhappy with progress and pulled it from them, which was what put them in this situation.

Cant say I'm suprised if this was the case. Look how long they took to get Haze on the shelves... they hyped up every feature of the game. by the time it actually came out every trick and 'revolutionary' feature it had was old news and had been used to better effect in other games such as Bioshock. Maybe they went at the same pace with battlefront and pissed off Lucasarts.

That said though... its a terrible shame to see people out of a job..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

kendragon wrote: »
    Cant say I'm suprised if this was the case. Look how long they took to get Haze on the shelves... they hyped up every feature of the game. by the time it actually came out every trick and 'revolutionary' feature it had was old news and had been used to better effect in other games such as Bioshock. Maybe they went at the same pace with battlefront and pissed off Lucasarts.

That said though... its a terrible shame to see people out of a job..

Talented ppl, talented ppl out of a job.

Not gonna complain if heroin whores are forced onto the dole :P

Timesplitters 2 is still the best console and multiplayer FPS to date in my opinion, followed by Goldeneye

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

Can't say I'm suprised by this closure. They haven't had a hit game in 5 yrs.
    Timesplitters 3, Second Sight and Haze were all commercial failures.
    Lucas Arts pulling the plug on Battlefront 3 was the killer blow with no new funding available in these tight credit times.

Dunno where its an avoidance thing and a "new" company will be born who somehow bought the nearly completed TS4 licence and game.

http://kotaku.com/5114861/free-radical-founder-sets-up-new-studio

well that solves that mystery scooby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

It seems pretty dodgy what happened there, with upper management knowing for months that they were basically going to abandon the company for a new one, and the staff left none the wiser they were going to be out of a job come Christmas until the last minute.

Already puts me off wanting to buy anything the new company might produce tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Was never a big fan of the Time Splitter games but it is a shame none the less. Another talented developer bites the dust. It is a sign of the harsh economic times I think.

Advertisement