Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Filters

• 19-12-2008 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking to get some filters mainly for landscapes (polarizing, graduated) to add to my new 450D. Should I go and get the cokin system as it will fit on other cameras (if I change in the future) or should I just get the ones that fit straight onto the lense. Plus how do filters affect using a lense hood (i.e. can you use some filters with a hood or never together?). Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Get the Cokin graduated ones anyway, and maybe some neutral density filters. The polariser doesn't really matter, I use one fitted to the lense. You can't use the graduated filters with a lens hood. Hope this helps:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Some of the lens hoods have small trap-door to allow you rotating the polariser. Worth finding out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

For graduated filters cokin or similar (There's some cheaper alternatives, kood spring to mind ) is probably the most versatile, as you can alter the position of the graduation. Everything else I'd go with screw in filters in a couple of standard sizes. All my filters are in 52mm (nikon's standard lens thread for smaller or slower lenses) and 77mm (lens thread for the fast nikon standard zooms) everything else, including my bronica system, gets step up rings to 77. It simplifies matters, and costs less. You definately don't want to buy more than 1 or 2 polarisers for example, in different thread sizes.

And yes, using polarisers and hoods at the same time is a pain in the ass. I've spent a significant amount of time wiping fingerprints from my stupidly expensive slimline nikon polariser ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

BillieBob ,

If you can stay well clear of the Cokin ND grad system , as they are far from been "Neutral " They produce a horrible majenta / purpilish colour cast , which simply negates the time you have spent chasing and composing your ideal shot.

Sadly I made this mistake and I am hoping to change to the lee system as soon as stg drops a little more against the euro. Also you can also get a polarising system for the lee holder , which saves on buying a seperate polariser if you require them for each of your lenses.

Also check out this previous thread on ND Grads

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

really? ah balls, I just order a cokin kit, but the b and w filter kit and IR filter.... humm Lee....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Jambo wrote: »
    BillieBob ,

If you can stay well clear of the Cokin ND grad system , as they are far from been "Neutral " They produce a horrible majenta / purpilish colour cast , which simply negates the time you have spent chasing and composing your ideal shot.

I'll second that. It's not so bad when using ND's as you can change the WB to compensate afterwards but with Grads only half the image is affected and it's very difficult to fix afterwards.

We're almost 1-1 with stg now so get the more expensive better filters.

Advertisement