Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric bikes - what's your opinion / experience?

Options
  • 19-12-2008 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

I've been cycling 5.5km (each way) to work for the last 2 years, but am about to move a few km further away, and cycling won't be such a comfortable option anymore, & 2 buses is an even less appealing option! I don't drive, but was considering going for a scooter. However, I've recently seen some electric bikes and am now looking more at those.

Specifically, I was looking at the CI ebike "Carrier" on www.ciebike.ie, for 1280e. There's a topcase for the helmet, and a space under the seat for my backpack. Also space for a passenger (although that drains the battery faster).

There's no tax, insurance etc with these bikes. They've got pedals if you want to pedal, and a rechargeable battery if you don't want to. :P I like the idea of cycling the easy parts of the route :D, and then changing to battery when I've had enough. I'm a fairly leisurely cyclist, no speed demon, I just like the scooter-like look of this bike, and the fact I could store my bag rather than having it on my back all the time (or in an exposed basket, like the other models).

I'd be using it mostly to go to & from work (all within the M50).

Anyone ever tried these bikes? What are they like to use / maintain? Any problems with parts etc? Anyone familiar with the Carrier model I'm looking at? Are there any major cons that I'm just not thinking of? :eek:

Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I've been cycling 5.5km (each way) to work for the last 2 years, but am about to move a few km further away, and cycling won't be such a comfortable option anymore, & 2 buses is an even less appealing option! I don't drive, but was considering going for a scooter. However, I've recently seen some electric bikes and am now looking more at those.

Specifically, I was looking at the CI ebike "Carrier" on www.ciebike.ie, for 1280e. There's a topcase for the helmet, and a space under the seat for my backpack. Also space for a passenger (although that drains the battery faster).

There's no tax, insurance etc with these bikes. They've got pedals if you want to pedal, and a rechargeable battery if you don't want to. :P I like the idea of cycling the easy parts of the route :D, and then changing to battery when I've had enough. I'm a fairly leisurely cyclist, no speed demon, I just like the scooter-like look of this bike, and the fact I could store my bag rather than having it on my back all the time (or in an exposed basket, like the other models).

I'd be using it mostly to go to & from work (all within the M50).

Anyone ever tried these bikes? What are they like to use / maintain? Any problems with parts etc? Anyone familiar with the Carrier model I'm looking at? Are there any major cons that I'm just not thinking of? :eek:

Any advice would be much appreciated! :)
    This is not a green issue, it's a bicycle issue. You'll get much better advice on this cycling forum:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=410

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

thanks, I'll try over there! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

Note the bikes that have a requirement to cycle pedalelec are street leagal with no insurance tax number plate

The other with twist grip and go solutions are not street legal in ROI without Insurace as they are classed as mechanicaly propeled vehicle

PM also sent

Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

My virus scanner tells me that ciebike.ie website is infected with some sort of "Love China" virus - caution!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

homer911 wrote: »
    My virus scanner tells me that ciebike.ie website is infected with some sort of "Love China" virus - caution!

EEEEEEEK ! I surfed that site a few months back with my laptop
    I use Firefox. Is this the internet explorer type that hijacks the computer if your on Internet explorer.My scanners said I was clean .Maybe the vuris luv china wasnt there a few months back

also another link on the legality of pedal elec still very iffy stuff grey law area
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58394219#post58394219

Derry

• Advertisement
Advertisement