Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband enabled exchange but only if you choose Eircom

Options
  • 19-12-2008 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭

OK so my exchange is enabled by apparently I will only be able to get broadband with Eircom or I have to wait 6 months for another provider to be able to access it... Is this true? Exchange goes live on Tuesday.

X

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Xcellor wrote: »
    OK so my exchange is enabled by apparently I will only be able to get broadband with Eircom or I have to wait 6 months for another provider to be able to access it... Is this true? Exchange goes live on Tuesday.

X

No. You`ll have access to perlico, vodafone, BT and other resellers of eircoms DSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

This is what I thought but the Eircom guy was quite insistent that if I phoned BT or anyone else they would not be able to help me for 6 months. Almost like they have the monopole on newly enabled exchanges at least on the outset...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You will pass for BT but not for the others and it will be for about a week or two not 6 months , PM me the name of the exchange out of interest :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

strange cause i got digiweb the day my exchange was enabled

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Salesman trying to get a little extra commission coming up to Xmas by deceit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

eircom sales staff in blatent lies shocker.
    eircom in anti-competitive practices shocker.

Xcellor, you could actually report hem to ComReg (and have a valid complaint), if you were interested in not letting them get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The majority of ISPs in Ireland offer "bitstream" access i.e. they use eircom's DSLAM (DSL Equipment in the exchange) to provide their service. The data is routed back over their networks rather than eircom's.

Smart Telecom, Magnet and BT (in some areas) use their own equipment i.e. it's "unbundled", usually this provides much higher speed etc as they're using ADSL2+ and Next Generation Networks.

If you can get eircom broadband, you can get any of the 'bistream' ISPs so.. nomal BT, Perlico, UTV, Vodafone at Home, Digiweb DSL etc etc

Yeah did sound suspect what he was telling me.. but what I thought was perhaps Eircom don't notify the likes of BT when an exchange is upgraded. This gives them the advantage of being able to milk the area and have people tied into 12 month contracts! Hate eircom but I'd rather use them and have broadband than wait another 6 months!

I've just checked on other DSL providers and my line is passing on them all so I'm thinking eircoms line "you will have to wait 6 months" is a load of crap. I'm now considering cancelling the order. But what other options are good? BT look similar priced. I was going in at the entry level 1mb.

I want to do online gaming haha haven't done that in years... :( So I want good latency.. I don't download loads but I want to know I have a bit of a cushion and I wont be shafted if I went over occasionally...

Thanks
    X

How are U.TV? They seem to have the best offer and cheapest for the speed...

• Advertisement

OK lodged formal complaint with Eircom and passed onto comreg also. Seems I was duped as were most of my neighbourhood.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

what exchange , not Kilmessan was it, PM if you will ?

It was Newtownforbes Longford.

Advertisement