Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hygienist

• 19-12-2008 11:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi can someone tell me whats a hygienist and how is different from a dentist?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Hi Texas, a hygienist cleans your teeth/treats gum disease and can give you oral hygiene/dietary advice. They cannot fill/extract/crown etc teeth. Most dentists in multisurgery clinics employ a hygienist because they are experts at their facet of dentistry and it frees up the dentists time to provide other treatments eg emergencies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Well thanks for that.I must keep an eye out for one,thanks again:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 murraymints

Can someone please clarify in what instances can you claim against PRSI for a hygeniest. The receptionist told me one thing but my wife thinks she overheard her say something different that there is releif of 30 euro odd. I have paid 475 per visit and she is keeping my dental hygiene on my toes so i guess it is money well spent.

Murraymints, hygienists do not have contracts with the Department of Social Welfare so strictly speaking they are private practitioners and charge private fees. However, in some clinics, Hygienists provide treatment under the dentist's contract so patients may get one hygiene visit free every 6 months. But the PRSI fee for a scaling is €32.60. When "taxation at source" (20%) is deducted and the fee is divided between the dentist (who supplies all equipment, surgery,staff, administration etc) and the hygienist, then tax is paid by hygienist on his/her share, the net profit is approximately €10, so you can see why most hygienists stay private.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Can someone please clarify in what instances can you claim against PRSI for a hygeniest. The receptionist told me one thing but my wife thinks she overheard her say something different that there is releif of 30 euro odd. I have paid 475 per visit and she is keeping my dental hygiene on my toes so i guess it is money well spent.

How has no-one picked up on this yet?

How long is a visit - 8 hours?! That's quite a bit, the usual charge is usually 100 or so for an hour.

• Advertisement

I have a feeling that is 75 euro per visit, the euro symbol is on the number 4 key.

Advertisement