Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn Rip Off

Options
  • 20-12-2008 12:19am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was in superquinn in Knocklyon earlier and noticed that the soft drinks (Coke, Sprite, Club Orange etc. etc. ) were all made in Northern Ireland. Looks like they are buying it cheap directly from supplier in the North and then selling it at full retail price on the shelf in Dublin. :mad:

What a bunch of rip off b*$tard$:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

All the cans of Coke, Sprite, Fanta, Lilt etc are made in Northern Ireland as Coke don't have a can factory here.

The bottles list both Dublin and Lisburn as places of manufacture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

To be fair, I wouldn't consider that a rip-off. It works both ways; retailers can source their goods from within or outside the state, and I can buy from retailers inside or outside the state.

When I hear Irish retailers compaining about their suppliers being more expensive than those in the North, my attitude has been "So why don't they use the same Northern suppliers?". From the sounds of it, here's a retailer doing just that. Fair play.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Dyflin wrote: »
    I was in superquinn in Knocklyon earlier and noticed that the soft drinks (Coke, Sprite, Club Orange etc. etc. ) were all made in Northern Ireland. Looks like they are buying it cheap directly from supplier in the North and then selling it at full retail price on the shelf in Dublin. :mad:

hardly a rip off, practically every coke I've ever bought is bottled in Lisburn.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Dyflin wrote: »

:rolleyes:

OMG a business trying to make money!

WTF is wrong with Irish people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

sometimes coca cola here in the republic run short of stock and will get some from the north for distribution in the republic,

i would only be concerned if your bottles of coke were covered in german or arabic writing as these are not produced for the irish market and are imported usually from eastern europe or outside the eu and will be produced in bottling plants in other countries putting irish jobs at risk!

also the quality is not as good because they are made to a different recipe and the bottles are transorted further than they are normally for the irish and uk markets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

There was a big court case about this in the UK a while back, people selling coke from Belgium in the UK.

It was ruled that it was allowed as otherwise it is an over-protected market with 1 supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Scottie99

yea I was in Tesco navan, I bought the 6 pack pepsi max and the can had pence sterling on them........ripped off:mad:

Scottie99 wrote: »
    yea I was in Tesco navan, I bought the 6 pack pepsi max and the can had pence sterling on them........ripped off:mad:

you can't get ripped off if you buy something with a price attached

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

As long as the Fanta doesn't start to march, you should be OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Rawr!

Ah jeez would ya stop complainin!!! Its not like your buying Coke on the Champs Elysees..... €7.60 for a drink of Coke or any soft drink.......

Absolutely DISGUSTING!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Scottie99

you can't get ripped off if you buy something with a price attached

Paying twice the marked price(within the packaging)............I think that's a rip off.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

charging twice is a rip-off,

Paying twice is.....foolish ???

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

foggy_lad wrote: »
    also the quality is not as good because they are made to a different recipe and the bottles are transorted further than they are normally for the irish and uk markets.
    I do not see how that means the "quality" is definitely worse.
    Paying twice the marked price(within the packaging)............I think that's a rip off.
    So there was a price on it, and they asked for twice that price at the till? did you not complain? Why did you pay it?

Oh wait, are you saying you saw cans with a € price on them, and you though it was good enough value that you decided to buy it? without a knife to your throat, and then later you realised that prices vary from country to country and then thought you were somehow ripped off?

rubadub wrote: »
    I do not see how that means the "quality" is definitely worse.

So there was a price on it, and they asked for twice that price at the till? did you not complain? Why did you pay it?

Oh wait, are you saying you saw cans with a € price on them, and you though it was good enough value that you decided to buy it? without a knife to your throat, and then later you realised that prices vary from country to country and then thought you were somehow ripped off?

werd

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SASR

I've noticed my local newsagent sells Coke for slightly more than the big supermarkets due to the higher costs for him in ordering them. I therefore demand he lose his business and his family starve.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Steo46

There's a pub in Baldoyle that charges €3 for a can of coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I can guarantee you that Superquinn do not send one of the lads to Newry in a van/truck to load up on coke from Musgraves.

As others have said, the cans are filled in the north, that's about it. If you saw, "Packaged in Middlesex" on your cornflakes, would you accuse them of sending artics over on the ferry ? :rolleyes:

Advertisement