Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future mobile innovations?

• 20-12-2008 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

OK so your phone has wifi, hsdpa, decent 16-32gb storage, nice UI, dvb-h, fm radio, 5mp camera, big VGA screen, nice light hardware keyboard, does push email and browsing/streaming effortlessly, functions as a passable mini-office and PIM manager, and is open to limitless 3rd party app expandability- ebook readers, mp3 players, video players etc etc.
    ...And it makes calls.
    But your not happy- you want more.

So what do you want in your smartphone that's not in any smartphone yet?

IMO one thing that could definitely be improved upon is battery-life.
    And usability.
    And the balance between functionality and form factor/weight size for these devices isn't perfect yet either.
    And text input methods could be improved upon.

And what do you feel will be the next big thing in smartphone evolution.
    Or do you think there's a limit to that evolution?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Stoned Hippy

teeny tiny projectors, for viewing things on near by walls.

Also full, working comprehensive voice recognition and text to speech.

Oh, and instead of video calls lets have hologram calls!

If I compare my current N95 8GB with my very old Nokia 6600 all the differences (internal gps aside) are very evolutionary, simply improving the specs of what's already there. It's time for a revolution, the iphone come close but we need more than just an improved UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

if what I'm hearing about the iphone is true, it also took a step back really in other ways...

battery life needs improvement and I agree with Stoned Hippy - voice to text will probably be the next big thing. Cant see the projector idea happening for another few years yet though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I want faster data (HSDPA etc) transfer rates and more customisable interfaces. I want dual SIM handsets to become standard from the major manufacturers. Battery life as well would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I remember seeing the first camera phone, and thinking, wow, thats it, has everything you need, there is nothing else that can go in there. Not size-wise, I know technology will get smaller and smaller, but rather a 'what else could you need' attittude. And then there was Mp3 functionality, then GPS. I agree with the above posters though, projector all the way,

I mean if 3M can do this then surely we can get it into a portable device. Remember the first phone cameras though? 0.3Mp, now we have up to 8Mp. Im not looking for a built in HD projector, but something semi-decent to show photos to a larger group of people.

As for technology thats already around, again, agree with above posters, get dual sim as standard, it wont make the handset much bigger, if at all bigger.

noblestee wrote: »
    I remember seeing the first camera phone, and thinking, wow, thats it, has everything you need, there is nothing else that can go in there. Not size-wise, I know technology will get smaller and smaller, but rather a 'what else could you need' attittude. And then there was Mp3 functionality, then GPS. I agree with the above posters though, projector all the way,

I mean if 3M can do this then surely we can get it into a portable device. Remember the first phone cameras though? 0.3Mp, now we have up to 8Mp. Im not looking for a built in HD projector, but something semi-decent to show photos to a larger group of people.

As for technology thats already around, again, agree with above posters, get dual sim as standard, it wont make the handset much bigger, if at all bigger.
    Stop linking me to cool gadgets! You're costing me money! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

noblestee wrote: »
    I'll have you banned just as soon as I find my credit card! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Stoned Hippy

A few more of those projection keyboards would be lovely!

There are some phones out there already with projectors built in http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/13/worlds-first-projector-cellphone-is-also-an-iphone-clone-in-ro/

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cat5

You'd think by now an sms could be longer than 160 characters... (I know you can mms but its more expensive)... Since invention it's never been improved upon... Why? cos the networks make more money..(I'll bet)..:D

It's difficult to change an entire messaging standard (I'd imagine) once it's so well established. They have introduced long texts and multi texts which most modern phones can now support. Of course you do have to pay per 160 chars, but at least it's moving forward.

Personally I feel they should do more about making MMS more accessable and not so messy and complex to troubleshoot. When it works it's perfect but when it doesn't you might never get it working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Cat5 wrote: »
    You'd think by now an sms could be longer than 160 characters... (I know you can mms but its more expensive)... Since invention it's never been improved upon... Why? cos the networks make more money..(I'll bet)..:D

I wouldn't even really call that an innovation. Phone's support long texts now so the only thing they'd need to do would be change the charging method so you don't get charged for each 160 char chunk. If it takes ten minutes to change it's not an innovation imo :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Long Lasting quick charge batteries.
    Flexible, foldable oled or similar display.
    Faster hspd connections.
    Makes tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I wouldn't even really call that an innovation. Phone's support long texts now so the only thing they'd need to do would be change the charging method so you don't get charged for each 160 char chunk. If it takes ten minutes to change it's not an innovation imo :P

Thats actually waht I meant..or why cant a single sms with single sms charge be say 250 characters or 400....Jees ...you have to bee soo clear...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Actually, one big thing in the future should be better location-based services.

The integration of up-to-date data about a service in your area with GPS.
    Like say if you wanted to find a hotel in a given area: You'd have all the data about that hotel (rates, room availability, contact numbers etc etc) integrated well with location info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

on google maps with their location api (or gps if your phone has it) you can, for example, type restaurant in and it'll find all the closest ones to you and if you select one it'll give you loads of info like phone number and even a rating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    on google maps with their location api (or gps if your phone has it) you can, for example, type restaurant in and it'll find all the closest ones to you and if you select one it'll give you loads of info like phone number and even a rating

Yeah kinda true.
    But Google maps is kinda static in that sense.
    What i mean is integrating, in a more dynamic way, up-to-date info with GPS co-ordinates.

Stuff like accessing information on rapidly changing events in your area- all based on your GPS co-ordinates.
    Maybe even getting intelligent alerts about this.
    "Dynamic" being the key aspect i guess.
    Traffic-updates with your satnav software (via TMC or a data download) is a simple example.

Incidentally, every single one of those location-based apps that i've tried- google maps, windows live (on windows mobile), yahoo go etc, not one of them does proper pois for Ireland yet.

Advertisement