Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banning from after-hours.

Options
  • 20-12-2008 2:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

<3BeingIN6th has banned me from after-hours for discussing, what is a well known situation in Waterford - the ongoing feud between two traveller families.

He stated
    Ignoring a warning and continuing to blame people who are innocent until proven guilty.

This is incorrect. I never named a single person, nor a single family. I outlined that it was members within the travelling community involved, which An Gardaí Síochana have already stated that they believe it to be so. I could see "legally" where a problem may have arisen if I had named the families and people responsible. While I know the families involved, I opted not to name them for that very reason. On the premise, I feel that my banning was unjustified.

I find his banning of me to be not only silly, but abuse of power. Moreover, I find his attitude as a moderator to be poor. He lacks basic communication skills, and has no courteousy when dealing with issues.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

*mandatory did you PM the mod in question response*

*followed by mandatory 'doesn't this belong in Helpdesk now??' response*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The moderator in question requested in the said thread to post in feedback if we had a problem with his moderating. If it needs to be moved to helpdesk, by all means go for it - I'm just posting where I was advised to by a moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Mirror wrote: »
    *mandatory did you PM the mod in question response*
    He sent me a PM saying he would take it up here.

OP, you blamed it on travellers without any proof.
    I asked you not to post in the thread again without proof, but you decided to question me on that.

You have yet to provide any conclusive proof behind your allegations.

All I see is hatred towards a certain part of the community.
    Prove me wrong.

dlofnep wrote: »
    I outlined that it was members within the travelling community involved, which An Gardaí Síochana have already stated that they believe it to be so.

This bit is interesting, and would help your case, if you could validate it? Or is it here-say from local gardai as opposed to actual news reports?

• Advertisement

OP, you blamed it on travellers without any proof.

Members within Waterford's travelling community. I didn't name anybody involved. Therefore, it is just banter and does not require proof. Furthermore, common sense would confirm my findings.
    I asked you not to post in the thread again without proof, but you decided to question me on that.

Yes I did. I didn't appreciate your attitude when dealing with it. Neither did some of the other posters. You also categorically lied in the thread.
    You have yet to provide any conclusive proof behind your allegations.

That is incorrect. I posted a link in regards to the convictions for those responsible for the beatings and fights some time back. I would say that it was "conclusive proof". In regards to the pony attacks - time will tell the tale - but given I did not name anyone involved - it is not libel.
    All I see is hatred towards a certain part of the community.
    Prove me wrong.

There is no hatred towards a certain part of the community. Infact, if you had actually read my first post - you'd see that that was infact another lie from you.

I stated
    dlofnep wrote:
    The whole city's patience is wearing really thin about this. There are some very nice law-abiding travellers.. But there are also many here, especially in Waterford who take it too the extreme.

This does not suggest hatred towards a certain part of the community. This suggests that myself, and other people from waterford have grown tired of certain members within the travelling community feuding. I don't appreciate you trying to put forth an argument that I am trying to incite hatred towards travellers. I am discussing an ongoing violent saga in Waterford that just so happens to have a few members of the travelling community involved.

Mirror wrote: »
    This bit is interesting, and would help your case, if you could validate it? Or is it here-say from local gardai as opposed to actual news reports?

Sure no problem. I already posted it, but I will post it again for your fine self.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/1219/1229523100701.html
    Gardaí in Waterford city have confirmed they believe the attacks are connected with the ongoing Travellers feud that has resulted in a spate of violent incidents since July.

I'm not spitting out random hearsay for the craic of it. The local Gardaí are on the same level about this. There are quite a few articles on the situation which I had already posted. I would get them for you in relation to the convictions prior to this, but I can't view the forum anymore.

Also Mirror, I would just like to add.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1218/waterford.html
    Traveller organisations in Waterford and Dublin have strongly criticised the attacks on the three animals.

Pavee Point and the Waterford Travellers Support Group say they are unequivocal in their condemnation of the incidents.

This is directly from the traveller organisations themselves.

Does anyone want to respond to this? I think I have provided more than enough information to validate that this is indeed related to the ongoing travellers feud. My prior posts on the issue in AH and the Waterford City forum validate that I am not or was not in anyway, shape or form inciting hatred towards the travelling community, but rather pointing out the elephant in the room that everyone sees, except for <3BeingIN6th.

I think that <3BeingIN6th has over-reacted in this thread. If everyone had to provide "proof" for every discussion on something, nothing would be accomplished on this forum.

Take for example if some footballer was moving to another club and someone mention "Robbie Keane is moving to another club.." - Would you expect a moderator to jump up and react in the spiteful manner with which <3BeingIN6th did and stated "Proof?? Where's the proof.. Don't post again in this thread again without proof!" It wouldn't seem reasonable on any level.

So here in Waterford, we are dealt with the unfortunate situation of a feud in waterford between a few people/families who just so happen to be members of the travelling community. Is it my fault that they are? Absolutely not. I am stating the very obvious truth of the situation, which has been well documented in the media and in court. Moreover, as stated before - No names, or families were mentioned by name. I don't see why proof should be required, or could be required for stating two families are involved, without even mentioning their names. To state that they are members of the travelling community is just an additional description of who's involved in the situation.

Now I don't like anybody on the anti-traveller bangwagon, and my post is certainly not anywhere near those lines. I went to school with many travellers and have many personal friends still to this day who are travellers. But I would expect to be able to discuss a situation that has spiralled out of control in my community which has seen horrible attacks on a physical level and a militant level.

Therefore, I ask that my banning from AH is reversed. This is nothing personal, but I generally respect the moderating team on boards - But I don't think that such decisions should be allowed to take place, and moderator's use their power to flex and bully people out of arguments.

60 hours and not a single response from helpdesk. I'll take it <3BeingIN6th is a favourite of the admins here. The Traveller's themselves have already condemned the action (see above post), but I'm not allowed to? I have to say, in the most courteous manner possible - This is utter blagarding. No longer is it possible to discuss any matters pertaining members of minority minority groups in a reasonable manner, without being attacked by members of boards moderating staff.

Their only response is to imply that we are inciting hatred, without one iota of evidence to back it up. That same evidence that the moderator asked for when proving who was responsible for butching innocent animals? Selective logic here is all I see. I'm still waiting for <3BeingIN6th's proof that I was inciting hatred.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

dlofnep wrote: »
    60 hours and not a single response from helpdesk.

None of us have anything to add to the comment by Terry above. His reasons are stated clearly and I for one have no problem with his judgement on this.
    I'll take it <3BeingIN6th is a favourite of the admins here.

You'd be wrong. Only this weekend he won Mod of the Year voted by the Mods and users alike. He must be doing something right.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    None of us have anything to add to the comment by Terry above. His reasons are stated clearly and I for one have no problem with his judgement on this.

It's obvious you don't. It would appear however that the majority of posters on the thread agree with me: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055445075&page=4

He required proof for stating that the horse attacks was related to the ongoing traveller feud. The gardaí have already stated that they believe it is so, the traveller's themselves have condemned the attacks. What else do you need?

I would also like to enquire why a moderator is able to accuse someone of inciting hatred without any evidence whatsoever. Why is there double-standards for moderators? It's alright for them to spit out any nonsense without proof, but when someone points out the elephant in the room - they are banned for it?

The moderating on here selective and biased.

Advertisement