Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spending Christmas in a Muslim country

• 20-12-2008 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

This year I will be spending Christmas in Tunisia with my in laws who are French and have retired there.

I am just wondering if Christmas is marked in any way in Muslim countries and if so how ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Agathon

Hello all,
    ... I am just wondering if Christmas is marked in any way in Muslim countries and if so how ?
    No. Muslims celebrate the two 'Eids (after Ramadan and after the Hajj); They are the only two celebrations to thank Allah and marked by increased remembrance, forgiveness and getting together with family and friends.

Christmas is exaggerated these days (too much indulgence & shopping). Maybe Tunisia marks it in some way as its government are trying their best to emulate European countries, especially France (including their traditions)!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

Agathon wrote: »
    Christmas is exaggerated these days (too much indulgence & shopping).

Well, we're being urged to spend in order to help the economy. :rolleyes:

There have been years when I've been fed up with the traditional Christmas and wanted to get away from the family, and I've wondered about going to a Muslim country over the holiday period. I've been worried, though, that the countries where tourists are welcomed are most likely to be the ones that put on Christmas activities for the tourists, so I'd end up not escaping Christmas at all. Do you have any particular advice for where to go to avoid Christmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Agathon

I suppose countries like Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Libya, Iran(maybe); basically, countries that have over 95% Muslims in them...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Funny enough I knew a guy that was in Saudi Arabia, which would have the reputation of being very austere and he came into his office a few days before he was coming home for the Christmas, to find his Muslim coworkers had left a foot high Christmas tree, a Christmas card and a pressie, which proves you never can tell.:)

It didn't surprise him TBH, he's travelled extensively in the Middle East and everywhere he's been so far, he's found people always very welcoming. Notably more so than in other areas of the world. He's not the only one I know to specifically remark on this. Welcome, consideration and care of strangers, guests and travellers is deeply ingrained in those cultures and in Islam itself.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

Well,..we've just celebrated Christmas in Damascus, Syria.
    Christmas trees were on sale everywhere, Balconies have Christmas lights and over 3000 santas took onto the streets on Christmas eve.
    I am a Muslim, I do celebrate Christmas. I love the whole atmosphere :D
    watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation has become a family tradition!
    Had few friends over for the christmas dinner, the turkey and stuffing went down great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement