Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best digital SLR for lens inter-changeability?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

All SLRs have interchangeable lenses. The question what suits you and your hands. And if you already have some hardware.

The issue is also accessibility of lenses. As far as I was following this forum, the amount of lenses is in possibly this order:
    1. Canon
    2. Nikon
    3. Olympus
    4. Pentax
    5. Sony

For good deals, I would recommend browsing this forum, FAQ sticky (especially where to buy... - 7dayshop,...) and Argos. And of course Adverts.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

ThOnda wrote: »
    All SLRs have interchangeable lenses. The question what suits you and your hands. And if you already have some hardware.

The issue is also accessibility of lenses. As far as I was following this forum, the amount of lenses is in possibly this order:
    1. Canon
    2. Nikon
    3. Olympus
    4. Pentax
    5. Sony

For good deals, I would recommend browsing this forum, FAQ sticky (especially where to buy... - 7dayshop,...) and Argos. And of course Adverts.ie.

I think Nikon are a bit sneeky,as its themselves and sigma that only make lenses that are compatible.
    what you think of the cameras for spec?
    cant see much difference from the sony to the nikon really only the proven name!(Nikon)
    checked out lenses on ebay just to get an idea of the range available and good choice coupled with not out of the way prices!(for sony)
    slan
    j

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Some really happy Sony users about the place - use the search to find interesting discussions on previous threads. Their entry level is reputed to be really good but not significantly better or worse than other brands entry level. I say it often around here - there is not a 'bad' entry level camera from any major brand.

If memory serves me, Sony basically had the sensor technology and then took over Minolta which had the camera technology and they are now producing some excellent product.

I don't think one will actually be 'better' to the level that a novice or even intermediate photographer will actually notice unless you are talking the difference between an entry level and a top of the range.

Entry levels of all major brands that ThOnda mentioned are all damn fine cameras. If you are incling towards the Sony, then you won't make a wrong decision but such a decision won't position the resultant gear in your hand to be better than any of the other major brands.

You are actually buying into a whole system of photography - one which might actually be a life long decision. At the moment to take your photography to the extremes (being full time professional with the most challenging of photoshoots) then given the options that are available it probably narrows down choice to Nikon and Canon. From beginner to regular professional it includes all of the above (ThOnda's post) tbh.

This can all change over time and Sony certainly have the technology on both the sensor and camera / lens to effect some of that change but at beginner level its not one to worry about.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Sorry - forgot to mention. It doesn't matter what camera you have in your hand, if you don't learn about the art, how to control light, how to create bokeh, how to deal with issues of composition - your resultant work (apart from flukes) will be just the same or worse even than with a €100 p&s (which by the way can be very good) - it's worth remembering though.

happy christmas!
    john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

If you know that you want to change lenses to achieve different visual effect, you are entering the field of the whole brand structure and their lenses, as stated above. The decision is more about the whole lens-flash-camera-software system, than just a entry level camera.
    All producers have entry level models, with very similar capabilities and features. Thanks to AnCatDubh who typed more on this topic. I am too sober to think...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

ThOnda wrote: »

1. Canon
    2. Nikon
    3. Olympus
    4. Pentax
    5. Sony

Sonys are backwards compatible with over 35 years of minolta glass, not to mention minolta was the first company to produce an af mount, so contrary to the post above there is plenty of old lenses to choose from

Edit: all my lens are older minolta glass except the kit lens with the a200, which is only a rebadged minolta lens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I was reading recently however... the Sony lenses are more expensive and the flash shoe is different and it made a comparison of body, lens + flash of nikon sony and cannon. Cannon cheaper ofc =p, sony more or less the same to nikon.

Phototoxin wrote: »
    I was reading recently however... the Sony lenses are more expensive and the flash shoe is different and it made a comparison of body, lens + flash of nikon sony and cannon. Cannon cheaper ofc =p, sony more or less the same to nikon.

Minolta hot shoe has been round since 1985 - the standard hot shoe has been round since the 50's..... It holds the flash in better, I had a pentax film slr and the flash would fall out if you leaned the camera back. The sony hot shoe allows for a higher sync rate too.....

Only problem is that sony flashes are a little more expensive : (

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I could dig up the comparison if it will be of benifit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I think Nikon are a bit sneeky,as its themselves and sigma that only make lenses that are compatible.

:confused:

Nikon, Sigma, Tokina, Tamron and Zeiss all make lenses with the Nikon mount (that I can think of off the top of my head). I don't know of a camera manufacturer that has a significantly wider range of lens manufacturers with product to fit their bodies.

I presume you mean that only Nikon and Sigma make lens with autofocus motors onboard to compensate for the lack of AF motor in the D40 or D60 body. Maybe it's sneaky, but I assume they've figured out that the majority of entry level DSLR users will only ever use the kit lens, and those that do upgrade will probably outgrow the body as their glass collection grows anyway!

Plus there's the old chestnut that gets trotted out that Canon changed it's mount (when it went to EOS bodies, I think, I stand open to correction) whereas a modern Nikon body can at least mount almost every Nikon lens ever made even if they can't meter or AF or whatever.

• Advertisement

not sure which to go for !!!
    I am thinking of the Canon EOS 1000D?
    what you all think?

I have this to sell
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=86181&cat=51

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

not sure which to go for !!!
    I am thinking of the Canon EOS 1000D?
    what you all think?

I have the 1000D and i find its a really good camera for the beginner needs. Its simple, small and light. Although its very basic, tts got pretty much most of the features that you'ld need to take good photos, apart from Spot Metering, which many people find useful and just 7 point AF instead of the 9 point and above you get on more expensive slrs, but its a Canon so you won't go wrong with it. You've got an amazing range of lenses to chose from and also one thing i've noticed is that there are a lot more used Canon lenses for sale than for any other camera which you might find useful if you wanna buy 2nd hand stuff.

But then you really won't go wrong with either of the brands. They're all very good. Though maybe if you wanna upgrade later and wanna keep your lenses, then the higher end Canons and Nikons are superior to other slrs.

I'd go with a d60 or an alpha 200 - canons are over priced and under speced imo, though im probably going to be lynched round here by saying that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

dakar wrote: »
    :confused:

Nikon, Sigma, Tokina, Tamron and Zeiss all make lenses with the Nikon mount (that I can think of off the top of my head). I don't know of a camera manufacturer that has a significantly wider range of lens manufacturers with product to fit their bodies.

I presume you mean that only Nikon and Sigma make lens with autofocus motors onboard to compensate for the lack of AF motor in the D40 or D60 body. Maybe it's sneaky, but I assume they've figured out that the majority of entry level DSLR users will only ever use the kit lens, and those that do upgrade will probably outgrow the body as their glass collection grows anyway!

Plus there's the old chestnut that gets trotted out that Canon changed it's mount (when it went to EOS bodies, I think, I stand open to correction) whereas a modern Nikon body can at least mount almost every Nikon lens ever made even if they can't meter or AF or whatever.

Tokina and Tamron have made D40 compatible lenses too (micro motors rather than "true" AFS ring motors). And Zeiss don't make autofocus lenses for non-Sony cameras (right?)

And I love the Nikon lens compatibility - I just bought a 30 year old Nikon FE film camera - every lens I use on that camera I can put on my 2005 D40. The old lenses are also kinda cheap - 13-35 euro for a prime :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

Speaking of lenses and interchangeability....

I have a bundle of old Pentax lenses. From an M series The MV1. I also have a Pentax SF1 (AF) Both still working away :)

Can i use those lenses with some sort of adapter on a canon 450D or 40D.
    I think I can use them on the pentax K20D? I understand some functionality would not exist AF etc

I have googled all this but I keep hitting dead ends. Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Speaking of lenses and interchangeability....

I have a bundle of old Pentax lenses. From an M series The MV1. I also have a Pentax SF1 (AF) Both still working away :)

Can i use those lenses with some sort of adapter on a canon 450D or 40D.
    I think I can use them on the pentax K20D? I understand some functionality would not exist AF etc

I have googled all this but I keep hitting dead ends. Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Yea you would have only ttl metering and you would need to manually set the arpeture.....
    Not sure about the adapters tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

landyman wrote: »
    Sonys are backwards compatible with over 35 years of minolta glass, not to mention minolta was the first company to produce an af mount, so contrary to the post above there is plenty of old lenses to choose from

Edit: all my lens are older minolta glass except the kit lens with the a200, which is only a rebadged minolta lens

+1 for Sony

I just bought a 2nd hand Sony a100 I love it. True the lens made by Sony are expensive however there are lots of used lens by Minolta and many many other... Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Vivitar, Cosina etc etc

I've already bought a Cosina 70-210mm AF for around €30 and will be hopefully buying a Sigma 100-300mm for €30. They might not be as sharp as the Sony lens but for starting off you can't go wrong.

Sony flash are expensive but so are Nikon and Canons as well. Again though you can get Minolta ones that work with the Sony Alphas.

Advertisement