Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cold livingroom

Options
  • 20-12-2008 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

i have a open fire in my living room and if i not using it i have a cold room even if the central heating is on.
    Is there a way to get rid of the cold draft ??
    And get the room warm ??
    Only cheap options please its not my house

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Chimney balloon!
    They are available in UK - internet / post. It is a thick rubber balloon which you blow up to fit the diameter of your chimney flue.

It blocks the flue stopping cold draught. It can be re-used and cost circa £15 - cheap as chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Hi,
    You could line the back of your radiators with tin foil, it reflects the heat back into your room. also get those insulating strips for the side of your doors, they are only two euros or so, and should stop draughts. Also you be amazed what a good pair of curtains can do to keep in heat, get lined floor lenght ones, you'll be able to take them with you if you move, so it won't be wasted money.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Thats all done exept the curtains because the radiator is fitted under the window so i have to keep them short

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Depending on the nature of the fireplace, you might be able to use a flat rectangular piece of wood (mdf or the like) to block the opening. An old kitchen cabinet door might be the right size. Line the edges that touch the fireplace with draught excluder for a tighter seal and to stop any rattling. Might need to leave a plant ot something against it to make sure it doesnt fall outwards.

The disadvantage is that it may not be the most aesthetically pleasing but it's cheap, effective at stopping your heat going up the chimney AND unlike the chimney balloon, its very, very easy to remove and replace depending on whether or not you want to light a fire.

I'd go with the balloon (or a binliner filled with foam or the like) in the flue if you're not likely to be looking to light a fire.

Advertisement