Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking in UCD

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,409 ✭✭✭✭noodler

FFS. Link me to this. Link me to that.

Are you aware murder is illegal? Would you need a link to that to?

It is your responsibility to know the law. People don't have to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

noodler wrote: »

It is your responsibility to know the law. People don't have to tell you.

He wants a law that straight forward says "your car is not the same type of private property as your house"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 roadwars

noodler wrote: »

Not quite the same is it.
    He wants a law that straight forward says "your car is not the same type of private property as your house"

If you have one it would be much appreciated, I posted my extract of the constitution and didn't see it in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

roadwars wrote: »
    Please post a link to where it says this.

Are you serious?!

The constitution is one thing, statutory provisions (which there are literally thousands of) are a whole different story! I already told you there is no specific provision I can point to and anyways, all provisions have to be read in light of the other provisions in each act not to mention any amendments which have been made - they just don't plainly make a statement like the articles in Bunreacht na hEireann!

If you look at A. 43(1)(i) which you posted, it guarantees a man's right to OWN goods privately which he can transfer, bequeath etc... Then A.43(2) expressly leaves room to restrict those rights if deemed necessary

However, it nowhere proposes that a car is deemed private property in the same vein as a private dwelling

Ok got it finally, a Christmas pressie just for you!

Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994

Section 4.
    1.It shall be an offence for any person to be present in any public place while intoxicated to such an extent as would give rise to a reasonable apprehension that he might endanger himself or any other person in his vicinity.

2.A person who is guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £100.

3.Where a member of the Garda Síochána suspects, with reasonable cause, that an offence under this section or under section 5 or 6 is being committed, the member concerned may seize, obtain or remove, without warrant, any bottle or container, together with its contents, which—

( a ) is in the possession, in a place other than a place used as a dwelling, of a person by whom such member suspects the offence to have been committed, and

( b ) such member suspects, with reasonable cause, contains an intoxicating substance

"dwelling" includes a building, vehicle or vessel ordinarily used for habitation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 roadwars

Jev/N wrote: »
    Ok got it finally, a Christmas pressie just for you!

Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994

Section 4.
    1.It shall be an offence for any person to be present in any public place while intoxicated to such an extent as would give rise to a reasonable apprehension that he might endanger himself or any other person in his vicinity.

2.A person who is guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £100.

3.Where a member of the Garda Síochána suspects, with reasonable cause, that an offence under this section or under section 5 or 6 is being committed, the member concerned may seize, obtain or remove, without warrant, any bottle or container, together with its contents, which—
    ( a ) is in the possession, in a place other than a place used as a dwelling, of a person by whom such member suspects the offence to have been committed, and

( b ) such member suspects, with reasonable cause, contains an intoxicating substance
    "dwelling" includes a building, vehicle or vessel ordinarily used for habitation

according to this you can't be intoxicated in a pub or club then?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

OK, now you're just being deliberately obtuse, it clearly says in the quoted piece 'public place'.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

Please post a link to where it says this.

Your asking him to post a link to something which e says doesn't exist :confused:

For once you're correct :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Jev/N wrote: »
    For once you're correct :rolleyes:

Indeed it is illegal to be drunk in a pub or club, or to serve someone who is drunk in such a place.

They don't follow up on that one that much though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MrDrifter

Could you drink on your bike? I

You might fall...?

But no, you cant, its illegal to cycle while drunk.
    maybe if you gave someone a crossbar and they were drinking?

Advertisement