Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AVI's, DVD's and File Size

• 20-12-2008 1:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm just have a question, I'm looking to burn a few AVI files onto a DVD.

One file in particular is 350mb, but when it's selected for burning, it says it's using up 1000mb on the disk. I would like to get as many files onto the disk as I can and obviously this really effects it when they're tripled in size!

I'm using Xilisoft for mac if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

if you are burning movies onto a DVD and making it a DVD video disc then yes, the files will be much bigger as it has to convert them all to mpeg2 to make the DVD which makes for larger files.

You could just create a DVD data disc and put all the movies in their source format on it. It all depends on what you are burning the disc for or what you intend to play it on after.

If its just to play on a regular DVD player then the first way is the way you'll probably need to do it.

If you are playing them back off a PC or with a DVD player that has an Xvid or DivX logo on it then the latter option of burning Data discs is the better way to go as no conversion takes place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

As the poster above siad if you can watch them after as avi's then just burn them as data. Dont convert them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I don't know of any mac programs, but you should be able to tweak the amount of compression used.
    Maybe if you set the project size to something larger, like set it to dual layer dvd (or some other large custom capacity), let it generate the dvd structure, "burn" it to a folder on the harddrive... then bring the resulting dvd files into something like dvd shrink and see if you can recompress the vobs down a tad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Cheers guys! Didn't even think about Xilisoft automatically converting them, so that's obviously it.

I'm pretty sure my dvd player (standalone) is capable of DivX playback, so I just convert from avi-divx and I'm sorted?

Not that it's such a huge issue, it's great if I can get 2 movies onto a disc, but better if I could get 4! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Well you should be easily be able to get 4 DivX movies onto 1 disc.
    With al these movies, you should consider getting something like The Popcorn Hour or some other media drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Cheers guys! Didn't even think about Xilisoft automatically converting them, so that's obviously it.

I'm pretty sure my dvd player (standalone) is capable of DivX playback, so I just convert from avi-divx and I'm sorted?

Not that it's such a huge issue, it's great if I can get 2 movies onto a disc, but better if I could get 4! :)

If your dvd player can play didvx then DONT convert them. Just burn them as data. divx=avi

However are your avi files divx or xvid? some dvd players can play divx but not xvid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Thanks for the help people. DVD's play fine when burned as Data:)

I do have one more question though, I assumed when the discs were played that it would bring up a list of files on screen, where by you choose what you want to watch. But it doesn't, it just starts to automatically play. Is there any way I can add chapters?

Advertisement