Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue's Reading Log

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Blue-Eyed

Here we go! Finally managed to finish another book! Reading too many books at the same time isn't easy! Even for me.

Dark Calling - Darren Shan

I know it's ridiculous. Lights can't whisper. But I swear I heard a voice calling to me. It sounded like static to begin with, but then it came into focus, a single word repeated over and over. Softly, slyly, seductively, insistently. "Come..."

The Disciples are being manipulated by beings older than time. Only Kernel Fleck knows that something is wrong. But he is in the grip of a creature who cares nothing for the fate of humanity. Voices are calling to him from the darkness and he's powerless to resist.

Kernel has already been to hell and back. Now he's about to go further...

Hmm..I'm not sure if this series will have a happy ending or a sad one..it seems like a series that can go either way! More of the anticipated Demonata series has hit the bookshelf! Get them while they're still..there!

And now on to wait for the last one..coming in October. *Sigh*

9.8/10!

-Blue- :cool:

Whoo! I've managed to become more organized. Reading spree!

First of all...

Pöialpoiss Nils Karlsson - Astrid Lindgren

This is probably -the- book that I've read and re-read since I was tiny! My mother told me that I loved having this book read to me.. It's a collection of stories. This time reading I started to find some morals in the stories, hidden meanings and such-like.

9.9.5/10!

Madlike - Astrid Lindgren

It's a true children's classic! I've read it hundreds of times. It's definitely for younger children, but just the simplicity of it is..well..I love this book! *Nod*

9/10

Dear Pup, Letters to a Young Dog - Diana Pullein-Thompson

My EFL teacher doesn't have many books on her 'library' that appeal to me, but this one was..okay! It was also rather simple, and I liked it.

8.5/10

Hiroshima Dreams - Kelly Easton

Lin can’t explain the knowledge she has of the future, of what people will say or what will happen. It’s a gift she shares with Obaasan, her grandmother, who has recently come from Japan to live with Lin’s family. But seeing the future is more than knowing whether or not a boy will call. What is Lin to make of the visions she has of a day long ago, when the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima?

This book..Last night was the most I'd ever stayed up at night. I stayed reading until 2 AM. *Cough* It's a very hard book to put down! Simple, good style, pretty cover! Perfect! ^O^

9.5/10

I've also read some Mangas recently!

Guru Guru Pon-Chan 1 & 2
    A few Fruits Basket ones
    A few Hourou Musuko ones!

Whew..that was a lot.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J.K. Rowling

Say you've spent the first 10 years of your life sleeping under the stairs of a family who loathes you. Then, in an absurd, magical twist of fate you find yourself surrounded by wizards, a caged snowy owl, a phoenix-feather wand and jellybeans that come in every flavour, including strawberry, curry, grass and sardine. Not only that, but you discover that you are a wizard yourself! This is exactly what happens to young Harry Potter in J K Rowling's enchanting, funny debut novel, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. In the non-magical human world--the world of "Muggles"--Harry is a nobody, treated like dirt by the aunt and uncle who begrudgingly inherited him when his parents were killed by the evil Voldemort. But in the world of wizards, small, skinny Harry is renowned as a survivor of the wizard who tried to kill him. He is left only with a lightning-bolt scar on his forehead, curiously refined sensibilities and a host of mysterious powers to remind him that he's quite, yes, altogether different from his aunt, uncle, and spoilt, pig-like cousin Dudley.
    A mysterious letter, delivered by the friendly giant Hagrid, wrenches Harry from his dreary, Muggle-ridden existence: "We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry". Of course, Uncle Vernon yells most unpleasantly, "I AM NOT PAYING FOR SOME CRACKPOT OLD FOOL TO TEACH HIM MAGIC TRICKS!" Soon enough, however, Harry finds himself at Hogwarts with his owl Hedwig ... and that's where the real adventure--humorous, haunting, and suspenseful--begins.

And..*Cough* Here we go again! I believe I re-read these books less than half a year ago -.- Guess I just can't stay away! The first books are always the best anyways.

9.8/10

Beautiful Dead Book 1-Jonas - Eden Maguire

Not alive. Not dead. Somewhere in between lie the Beautiful Dead.

Something strange is happening in Ellerton High. Jonas, Arizona, Summer, Phoenix. All dead within a year.

Jonas Jonson is the first to die, in a motorcycle accident. But there are many unanswered questions, and the three deaths that follow are equally mysterious.

Grief-stricken Darina can't escape her heartache or visions of her dead boyfriend, Phoenix, and the others who died. And all the while, the sound of beating wings echoes inside her head ...

Are the visions real? Or do the Beautiful Dead only exist in Darina's traumatized imagination?

Something different. A zombie-story, masquearading as a vampire-story. Very enjoyable!

9/10

Journey to the River Sea - Eva Ibbotson

Sent in 1910 to live with distant relatives who own a rubber plantation along the Amazon River, English orphan Maia is excited. She believes she is in for brightly colored macaws, enormous butterflies, and "curtains of sweetly scented orchids trailing from the trees." Her British classmates warn her of man-eating alligators and wild, murderous Indians. Unfortunately, no one cautions Maia about her nasty, xenophobic cousins, who douse the house in bug spray and forbid her from venturing beyond their coiffed compound. Maia, however, is resourceful enough to find herself smack in the middle of more excitement than she ever imagined, from a mysterious "Indian" with an inheritance, to an itinerant actor dreading his impending adolescence, to a remarkable journey down the Amazon in search of the legendary giant sloth.

This is another one, that I've re-read so so many times in my life! Even if the Estonian translation isn't quite the real deal, it's just so..yeah.. Read it people!

9.9.9.9/10 - When I get to read the English version, I'll probably bump it up to 10!

• Advertisement

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Haddon

The Curious Incident of the Dog in The Night-Time is a murder mystery novel like no other. The detective, and narrator, is Christopher Boone. Christopher is fifteen and has Asperger's Syndrome. He knows a very great deal about maths and very little about human beings. He loves lists, patterns and the truth. He hates the colours yellow and brown and being touched. He has never gone further than the end of the road on his own, but when he finds a neighbour's dog murdered he sets out on a terrifying journey which will turn his whole world upside down.

This is a book I've wanted to read for a very long time. I accidentally found it in my local bookshop, just yesterday. I'd heard that we were going to be reading this next year for school, so I almost decided against it, but I figured I could always read it again.

You know how some writers say that there are no more good and original ideas for books..well this has just been proven wrong! In 2003 anyway..

Here are two quotes about the book that say what I want to say, better than I could. *Nodnod*

'Wondrous...Brilliantly inventive, full of dazzling set pieces...unbearably sad, yet also skillfully dodging any encounters with sentimentality...Not also the most original novel I've read in years...it's also one of the best.'

'It's subtle, it's beautifully written, it's a story so riveting I couldn't wait to turn each page.'

^ What they said!

10.2/10

Dragon Keeper - Carole Wilkinson

Ping is a slave in a remote royal palace at Huangling Mountain. Her cruel master neglects his duties as Imperial Dragonkeeper, and under his watch the Emperor's dragons have dwindled from a magnificent dozen to a miserable two. Soon only the ancient and wise Long Danzi remains. Ping has always been wary of the strange creatures living in their dark pit - but in a moment of startling bravery she rescues Danzi and the mysterious and beautiful stone that he protects.

Now fugitives, Danzi and Ping race across the kingdom, fighting enemies at every turn. But as they come to the end of their journey, Ping must prepare for a heartbreaking loss - and a truly thrilling revelation . . .
    ragon Keeper - Carole Wilkinson

A fabulous novel! It kept me entertained for the whole day, and I kept reading until the end. Ancient China is very fascinating people! But why do all the good books have to have sequels?.. :P It should all just be in one long book! Much easier for poor little me!

9.7/10

(Umm..I might've read some other books that I don't remember some time..but I probably didn't.. 'Cause I'm reading too many books at the same time, as per always..so here's the one I remember!)

A Great and Terrible Beauty - Libba Bray

Gemma, 16, has had an unconventional upbringing in India, until the day she foresees her mother’s death in a black, swirling vision that turns out to be true. Sent back to England, she is enrolled at Spence, a girls’ academy with a mysterious burned-out East Wing. There Gemma is snubbed by powerful Felicity, beautiful Pippa, and even her own dumpy roommate Ann, until she blackmails herself and Ann into the treacherous clique. Gemma is distressed to find that she has been followed from India by Kartik, a beautiful young man who warns her to fight off the visions. Nevertheless, they continue, and one night she is led by a child-spirit to find a diary that reveals the secrets of a mystical Order. The clique soon finds a way to accompany Gemma to the other-world realms of her visions "for a bit of fun" and to taste the power they will never have as Victorian wives, but they discover that the delights of the realms are overwhelmed by a menace they cannot control. Gemma is left with the knowledge that her role as the link between worlds leaves her with a mission to seek out the "others" and rebuild the Order.

It was..fantastic! I couldn't stop reading it..especially since the chapters were so short. I kept saying, 'Oh, just one more chapter'..and so on and so forth.
    I've already got the next two books borrowed from my friend for the summer. Here's to hoping they live up to the first one!

9.5/10

-Blue- :pac:

Emily the Strange, The Lost Days - Rob Reger and Jessica Gruner

Who is Emily?!

13 years old. Able to leap tall buildings, probably, if she felt like it. More likely to be napping with her four black cats; or cobbling together a particle accelerator out of lint, lentils, and safety pins; or rocking out on drums/guitar/saxophon/zither; or painting a swirling feral sewer mural; or forcing someone to say "swirling feral sewer mural" 13 times fast . . . and pointing and laughing.

Well, it was..interesting! *Nod* It was .. completely unrealistic, but .. that kinda made it good! I think I would recommend this..to someone. Mostly younger people, probably!
    It was..a good read, to say the least!

8/10

-Blue- :pac:

<Okay. I'm going to try and become more active here! :P Meanwhile, I've read 3 books. Maybe more, since I kind of read alot of books at a time and it's hard to keep track of them all..here's what I know I've read.>

Rebel Angels-Libba Bray

It's the end of the year, and Gemma's looking forward to living it up in London. Balls, fancy gowns and dancing with the handsome Simon Middleton beckon. Best of all, it's time away from Spence Academy - and from the Realms.

But the lure of the enchanted world is strong, and the magic flows freely. Gemma's visions intensify - visions of three girls dressed in white, suffering horror and menace. Clearly all is not well in the Realms - or out of them.

Set against the rich backdrop of Victorian London, a place of shadows and light, in a time of strict morality and barely repressed sensuality, this compelling gothic sequel reveals that inside great beauty can lie a rebel angel . . .

9.5/10

The Sweet Far Thing-Libba Bray

It has been a year since Gemma Doyle first arrived at the foreboding Spence Academy, and much has changed. Having bound the wild, dark magic of the realms to her, Gemma has forged unlikely and unsuspected friendships with Ann and Felicity, and Kartik, the exotic young man whose companionship is forbidden. She has also come to an uneasy, tenuous truce with the fearsome creatures of the realms.

But now, the time has come to test the strength of those bonds. As her friendship with Felicity and Ann faces it's gravest trial, and with the Order grappling for control of the realms, Gemma is compelled to decide once and for all which path she is meant to take. Her destiny threatens to set chaos loose, not only in the realms, but also upon the rigid Victorian society whose rules Gemma has both defied and followed. Where does Gemma really belong? And will she, can she survive?

9.6/10

These books, were great. This series was amazing. It was magical and exciting, with a little bit sad ending. This is one of those times where I wish I could read the whole series again, without knowing what's going to happen.

My Sister's Keeper-Jodi Picoult

Sara Fitzgerald's daughter Kate is just two years old when she is diagnosed with a rare form of leukemia.
    Reeling with the helpless shock of it, Sara knows she will do anything - whatever it takes - to save her child.

Then the test results come back time and again to show that no one in the family is a match for Kate. If they are to find a donor for the crucial bone marrow transplant she needs, there is only one option: creating another baby, specifically designed to save her sister. For Sara, it seems the ideal solution. Not only does Kate live, but she gets a beautiful new daughter, Anna, too.

Until the moment Anna hands Sara the papers that will rock her whole world. Because, aged thirteen, Anna has decided that she doesn't want to help Kate live any more. She is suing her parents for the rights to her own body.

This was a wonderful book as well. This, was one of those books, where you know what's going to happen in the end, and you want to stop reading, because you don't want it to happen, but you can't stop anyway..
    I can't wait to see the movie of this one.

9.7/10

• Advertisement

Oki, this was very short, but I felt like re-reading it again, since I've always liked it a lot.

The Land of Un-Done Homework ((?)That's my translation of it!) L. Geraskina

Basically it's about a boy who hates studying and doing his homework, and he goes to a land, where he's put to the test! With his cat..

Umm, I'm thinking that books always seem bigger when your younger, so I was expecting this book to be a bit longer..but anyhoo!

9/10

Every time I come here I'm absolutely sure that I just wrote a week or so ago.. :pac:
    Anyway, I haven't read too many books, since I was stuck in The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy (It was a great book, nothing to do with the book! I think it took me so long because I was just back in Ireland, and I had my computer back, and I had to study as well, so I didn't read much!) But now I'm in Estonia for a week, and I've been reading noticeably faster!

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

Fabulous books, all of these! This was my second favorite!

9.5/10

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe - Douglas Adams

No comment, but I loved it anyway :D

9/10

Life, The Universe and Everything - Douglas Adams

This was the weakest in my eyes. (Have to repeat, I loved it anyway :P)

8.7/10

So Long and Thanks for all the Fish - Douglas Adams

This was my favorite! It made me laugh so many times! ^___^

9.8/10

Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

An ending is always sad :/ *Salutes to Arthur the Sandwhich Maker* Bob bless you!

9.2/10

Marley and Me - John Grogan

I really liked it. I read through it in the matter of a few days :) Sometimes I love flying *Hugs the airport bookshops*

9.6/10

The Rosetta Key - William Diethrich

The sequel to Napoleon’s Pyramids picks up pretty much where that book left off. Ethan Gage, the American adventurer, having barely escaped death during his time in Egypt with Napoleon, is looking for a little peace and quiet, but when he’s approached with another can’t-miss Indiana Jones–like treasure hunt, he’s off again, this time to find the fabled Book of Thoth, the possibly apocryphal ancient Egyptian scroll with supposedly magical properties. Much capering about late-eighteenth-century Egypt results, with Gage dodging all variety of assailants while attempting to get his hands on yet another elusive artifact with the power to both entrance and corrupt all who seek it. Like Napoleon’s Pyramids, this is a fast-paced, lively historical-adventure yarn that combines entertaining characters, an intriguing story, and lots of derring-do.

An historical action book. A genre I'll have to look into more closely now! This book was wit, action and comedy, all smushed together to provide entertainment for the crowds!

9.7/10

Diary of a Snob, Poor Little Rich Girl - Grace Dent

Poppet Montague-Jones
    1 Octavia Square, Hampstead, London, NW3

Hello you -my name is Poppet Montague-Jones! I'm 16, 87th in line to the British throne and due to inerit a ginormous trust fun! I'm going to tell you all about MOI and my gorgeous friends, and all the majorly wicked things we get up to at Hamsptead Lycée for Young Ladies.
    And before you go thinking I'm just a spoilt rich kid, DO remember that my bra size is 32AA MINUS, I've got a hideous mega-brace on my teeth, and a rear end like a Shetland pony's ...

It's not all diamonds and pearls you know ...
    Ciao!
    Poppet XX

This was..something new :D Something new and different from my usual victims. I'll look into it! My only thing was, that Poppet, believe it or not, wasn't really that much of a Snob >w<

9/10

Blue-Eyed :cool:

Advertisement