Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Hunting Waterford....where to look?

• 20-12-2008 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Thinking of relocating to Waterford and would appreciate input on locations...looking at areas like Kings Channel and Ballygunner ...what are these areas like, what is traffic like in & out of city, are there any other areas you might suggest, like Dunmore East.? Tramore?.... are there any building developments/ring roads, etc, proposed? What is crime level like? I know I'm asking a lot but as I would be new to these areas and want this to be my last move, I obviously don't want to make mistakes if at all possible.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ill move this to Waterford City as thats probably where you are mostly looking for. I advise doing a bit of searching as this has been asked a few times and has been covered in detail (for both Tramore and Waterford City).

Hope that helps. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

are you buying or renting, this is gonna determine where you can start to look, what is your price range if you are buying , im sure there are lots of rental properties available at the moment because of the financial crisis ,

• Registered Users Posts: 23 eilyc

daftdave wrote: »
    are you buying or renting, this is gonna determine where you can start to look, what is your price range if you are buying , im sure there are lots of rental properties available at the moment because of the financial crisis ,

Buying, price range 600,000'ish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

eilyc wrote: »

That would get you six bungalows in Summerhill Terrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rroche81

Avoid templars hall, unless ur a student and want to party every night, have ur car vandalised, windows broken, people screaming on the street in the middl eof the night, fighting, loud music... well thats what it was like 2 years ago

EDIT: just re-read that post. jesus i make myself sound old. i'll get my slippers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well at lest the budget affords some scope, if you take a quick look at this map you'll see we have a ring road that sweeps around the southern side and is clearly where you want to be in the right place relative too if you need to commute to the industrial park off the Cork road.

I'd be looking for a mature bolthole with a settled population off the Dunmore road, somewhere like Grange Cove or Summerville Avenue off Passage road.

If you don't mind newer estates with kids, empty houses and windswept open plan "gardens" then theres loads of stuff in Kings Channel and Ballinakill Downs etc.

mike65 wrote: »
    Well at lest the budget affords some scope, if you take a quick look at this map you'll see we have a ring road that sweeps around the southern side and is clearly where you want to be in the right place relative too if you need to commute to the industrial park off the Cork road.

I'd be looking for a mature bolthole with a settled population off the Dunmore road, somewhere like Grange Cove or Summerville Avenue off Passage road.

If you don't mind newer estates with kids, empty houses and windswept open plan "gardens" then theres loads of stuff in Kings Channel and Ballinakill Downs etc.

Right then, thats Kings Channel off the list straight off....yes, I like the look and sound of Summerville Ave, what about Newtown...and what about Ballygunner? would Woodstown be too far out and would it be a tad isolated? Thanks for the map, very informative!! Where's Grange Cove? Hope to drive down shortly after Xmas and have a look so all this info will come in v. handy...thanks so much.

Grange Cove is just off the Dunmore road about 1/4 mile inside the ring road, if you look for the Waterford Regional Hospital its just to the north-east of it, opposite Arkeen Village.

Woodstown is a lovely spot, you have the beach which outside the summer weekends is pretty quiet, no facilities though as there is no village as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Kings Channel/The Moorings is a really nice area, plenty of buses, Tesco, Lidl and Ardkeen stores 10 minutes up the road walking, and your past the Viewmount traffic in the morning.

You're at the back of the hospital, it's pretty quiet, never too many cars around. You've got the walk along the riverbank too if you like your walking.

There's a few houses for sale in both estates at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

For that down here youd be flying in most areas. A little more info on what youre lookin for would help though. Young family? Required space? Transportation even since we seem to have the public transport of a village :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Multivan

Well im a Dub and i moved to Waterford via Germany, and i have to say that i was on Daft.ie for awhile looking at places to live b4 i even got here!

I had my eye on a place just outside Waterford City called Shangan location Butlerstown, this is just a 5 min driver outside town but still a countryside bungalow and what a place, Think its runnin at 420 at the mo but im sure it wont be that now and it was upto 490. check it out on Daft.ie go to waterford city then go back to that headin and click the drop down for Butlerstown. theres about 15 pics there, ill be a bit sad if you buy it as i had my eye on it!!! but out of my price range.

Theres also the Beautiful area of woodstown thats where the beautiful people live own horses and walk on the beach!

Other than that i wouldnt personally go anywhere else in Waterford.

Apart from a Bungalow on its own land in Kilmeaden just outside the city.

They ARE you best bets for that money!!!! oh one more place i would call it waterford hills 90210 2 car families BMW jeeps and Mercerdes in each drive in, Waterpark in behind waterford regional hospital, there are a couple of those German built think there 3 just gone up there Davinci houses i think they are! Straight out of that TV show Grand Designs!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

OP, Dunmore Road, Maypark or Williamstown/Ballygunner is probably what you're looking for if you want somewhere suburban and reasonably close to amenities. There are loads of places in the country from Cheekpoint down past Passage and Woodstown to Dunmore.

The Cove and Cliff Road areas of Tramore are good too - basically the area up near the golf club there. Well worth checking out.

Let us know where you're going to be travelling to in the mornings and someone should be able to advise on traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I'd certainly recommend renting for a year if you don't know the areas in detail so you can do your research properly. There is ample choice of rental stock at present. House prices almost certainly have some way to fall during 2009.

With your budget you are in the top quartile of prices in Waterford so it's not as if you'll be short of options.

The posters recommending Ballygunner and Williamstown are giving you good advice, at the expense of traffic congestion in the mornings. Dunmore East is the kind of place you cannot imagine NOT moving to in the Summer, but go there on a February day in the lashing rain! Tramore is thriving, but check local zonings and planning applications.

Bear in mind the vast majority of development in the local area will probably be alongside the route of the new bypass/bridge so Kilmeaden, Slieverue etc. will be getting built-up and busier.

SSE

I'd certainly recommend renting for a year if you don't know the areas in detail so you can do your research properly. There is ample choice of rental stock at present. House prices almost certainly have some way to fall during 2009.

With your budget you are in the top quartile of prices in Waterford so it's not as if you'll be short of options.

The posters recommending Ballygunner and Williamstown are giving you good advice, at the expense of traffic congestion in the mornings. Dunmore East is the kind of place you cannot imagine NOT moving to in the Summer, but go there on a February day in the lashing rain! Tramore is thriving, but check local zonings and planning applications.

Bear in mind the vast majority of development in the local area will probably be alongside the route of the new bypass/bridge so Kilmeaden, Slieverue etc. will be getting built-up and busier.

SSE
    Back again, and more confused than ever...think you're right about renting and getting my bearings. Took drive down and spent couple of days looking around and there are certainly plenty of houses on offer...just spotted one on Daft, the Anchorage, Williamstown, ... missed it on my recce, any opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

Back again, and more confused than ever...think you're right about renting and getting my bearings. Took drive down and spent couple of days looking around and there are certainly plenty of houses on offer...just spotted one on Daft, the Anchorage, Williamstown, ... missed it on my recce, any opinions?

Yes, I know a few people that live in the Anchorage and they love it. Equally The Village which is just down the hill in Ballygunner is beautiful. However, traffic congestion in the mornings and afternoons can be bad but it all depends on where you'll be commuting to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Multivan

Yes, I know a few people that live in the Anchorage and they love it. Equally The Village which is just down the hill in Ballygunner is beautiful. However, traffic congestion in the mornings and afternoons can be bad but it all depends on where you'll be commuting to.

Theres a place just behind Waterford Regional Hospital called Water Park and my god its like Beverly hills nice place there a few of those GERMAN HOUSES called Da Vinci Homes if youve seen GRAND DESIGNS they are like them! there were 3 built in the Waterpark Area and you can bet being built by Germans with German Material your buying Quality.

If you type Da vince Waterford in a search engine you may find it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Multivan wrote: »
    Theres a place just behind Waterford Regional Hospital called Water Park and my god its like Beverly hills nice place there a few of those GERMAN HOUSES called Da Vinci Homes if youve seen GRAND DESIGNS they are like them! there were 3 built in the Waterpark Area and you can bet being built by Germans with German Material your buying Quality.

If you type Da vince Waterford in a search engine you may find it!

maypark lane its called.

Veering off at a tangent now, but how about my looking at the 'other side' of Waterford, i.e., Kilmeaden...if Dunmore Road is so busy, would the N25 be quicker getting in & out of city? There seems to be some new housing on offer as well as some more mature detached types on a bit of land... However, looking at one map, it seems some sort of ring road is to be/has been built...Any opinions?

I used to live near Kilmeaden, the "village" is being by passed by the new city bypass so it'll be much quieter in terms of heavy traffic though the local commuters will still go through quite a bit I suspect. The road is due to open late 2010, obviously the road itself is already in place so no house you look at will be threatened by new works.

Anything for sale in Doneen? Some nice houses there, its about a mile east of Kilmeaden, the village has 2 pubs with resturants (I think), 3 mini markets, a Fiat garage, an independent garage, no petrol pumps though. Ballyduff which is to the west of Kilmeaden has nice quiet backroad views looking towards Kill.

Thank you for that Mike65....that area definitely hits the spot for me, countryside looks fabulous although couldn't find anything for sale in Doneen. I've earmarked several possibilites for viewing and plan to make a trip down shortly. No doubt I'll be back on to you then, but its a big move and, hopefully, my last, so all advice is very greatly appreciated....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

If you don't want suburbs, in the inner city, the best houses are probably Newtown, Lower Newtown, South Parade kind of area, near the People's park. Since you have money to spend. ;) (These places are not going to lose any value.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

rroche81 wrote: »
    Avoid templars hall, unless ur a student and want to party every night, have ur car vandalised, windows broken, people screaming on the street in the middl eof the night, fighting, loud music... well thats what it was like 2 years ago

EDIT: just re-read that post. jesus i make myself sound old. i'll get my slippers

no need to make a mountain out of a molehill. maybe it was half as bad as that 2 years ago, but i live there now and its like a ghost town compared to what it was like.

to be honest i moved from poleberry and your description suits that 10 times more

thats one hell of a budget for waterford though. id probably head out to dunmore and buy an expensive motor with the change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

merlante wrote: »
    If you don't want suburbs, in the inner city, the best houses are probably Newtown, Lower Newtown, South Parade kind of area, near the People's park. Since you have money to spend. ;) (These places are not going to lose any value.)
    I second this. What's more, you'd be my neighbour!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

chrism2007 wrote: »
    no need to make a mountain out of a molehill. maybe it was half as bad as that 2 years ago, but i live there now and its like a ghost town compared to what it was like.

Its still pretty bad. It depends on where you live but it wasnt long ago petrol bombs were thrown at a house there and the residents are still putting pressure on the college to act.

Advertisement