Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations Please!

Options
  • 20-12-2008 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

I haven't picked up a book in over a year and once again, I feel the itch to pick up a few nice books over Christmas and get reading.
    I'm usually a fantasy/sci-fi reader but I also like some autobiographies like Gerry Conlon's "Proved Innocent" - I'm not a big fan of autobiographies by celebrities.

Some of the books that I have read and absolutely loved were

The Lord of The Rings
    The Belgariad and Mallorean Series
    Harry Potter

So please. Recommend me a few series or novels over Christmas.
    I was thinking about picking up Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials and perhaps Herbert's Dune too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

His Dark Materials is a great place to start..

I would also tell you to google search 'bbc big read' from a couple of years ago. Its a list of top 100 books, which the public voted for. I have found several books and authors on that I now count among my favorites whom I had not heard of before I saw that list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Blue-Eyed

Yes, please do yourself a favor and read His Dark Materials. I can safely say it's high in my favorites list. Right up there with the Lord of the Rings I daresay!

-Blue-:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

If you like fantasy try either "legend" or the "troy" trilogy by David gemmell.Also "Magician" by Raymond e feist is a great read.
    A warning about feist,don't read any of his books that are co-authored.

Advertisement