Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii playstation or xbox?

Options
  • 20-12-2008 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am considering purchasing one for home entertainment

I am an adult myself with no kids so would probably be more adult games etc

any recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Its always hard to tell, I mean any of them are pretty good sources of entertainment. My brother is the console owner in the house, we have a PS3 and an xbox. The wii definitely seems more "party" orientated, in that its good when you have a few mates over.

Don't go by the giga-muh-hertz and other techno stuff, have a look at the exclusive titles on xbox/ps3 and decide which games you would be more into. If you prefer stealth over gung-ho then you might be more solid snake rather than master chief.

The PS3 also has blu-ray which is something to consider if you plan on purchasing a few high-def titles (Batman begins and the dark knight are two must-haves!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Strike the Wii off straight away.

There really is not much of a difference, bar a few titles only appearing on one console.

Splurge and get both!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I would say get a wii or a ps3 or both if you can :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Yep, don't even consider buying the Wii unless you've got oodles of cash to spare and can afford it as a secondary console (one that will quickly gather a layer of dust)

Hard to tell really, the PS3 and 360 both have their own exlusives, so it's really a case of taking a look at each console's exlusives (gears of war, god of war, MGS4 etc) and deciding which one has the catalogue that fits you the best.
    I had a bloody hard time deciding which console I would take with me when I emigrated, the 360 just about won it for me.

PS3 is a much better media player though, and the HD is upgradeable. So maybe look into that if you want more than just a games machine.

The PS3 vs 360 debate has been done to death here already, try searching a bit and you should find some helpful threads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

tman wrote: »
    Yep, don't even consider buying the Wii unless you've got oodles of cash to spare and can afford it as a secondary console (one that will quickly gather a layer of dust)

Hard to tell really, the PS3 and 360 both have their own exlusives, so it's really a case of taking a look at each console's exlusives (gears of war, god of war, MGS4 etc) and deciding which one has the catalogue that fits you the best.
    I had a bloody hard time deciding which console I would take with me when I emigrated, the 360 just about won it for me.

PS3 is a much better media player though, and the HD is upgradeable. So maybe look into that if you want more than just a games machine.

Listen to this. Spot on with what he's said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Commodore 64. Get T2 with it, not the tape version mind-get the cartidge as it loads quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Have had all three

Sold the wii within 3 days

Hated the PS3's interface..and every title was just a sequel..though would like to play that Little Big Planet

Xbox360 is the way, i find xBox live excellent if your looking to play your games online, interface has gone a bit naff with copying the Mii thing recently though. I liked the blades

Id say get a PC, ...all the best games come out on PC :)

I think the PS3's interface is fairly idiot proof to be honest.
    More than half the games out these days appear to be multi-platform by the way and some exclusives make there way to the other console eventually (Bioshock to PS3 and FF13 to 360 later on). Multi-formats usually look better on the 360 although this is situation is slowly improving.

Bear in mind the so-called hidden costs of an Xbox, battery pack charger, wireless adaptor and 50 quid a year for Live. I hear the XBOX-only hard drives are a bit of a rip too.

If you go with a PS3-consider buying it up North to save cash.

The Wii-I just don't see the appeal of. If there was a party or for Xmas day crack with the family it could be fun I guess.

PS3 and 360 are the only ones I would personally consider.

A PC has obvious drawbacks that so many PC gamers never seem to highlight. Constantly updating your hardware and huge financial cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

noodler wrote: »
    I think the PS3's interface is fairly idiot proof to be honest.
    More than half the games out these days appear to be multi-platform by the way and some exclusives make there way to the other console eventually (Bioshock to PS3 and FF13 to 360 later on). Multi-formats usually look better on the 360 although this is situation is slowly improving.

Bear in mind the so-called hidden costs of an Xbox, battery pack charger, wireless adaptor and 50 quid a year for Live. I hear the XBOX-only hard drives are a bit of a rip too.

If you go with a PS3-consider buying it up North to save cash.

The Wii-I just don't see the appeal of. If there was a party or for Xmas day crack with the family it could be fun I guess.

PS3 and 360 are the only ones I would personally consider.

A PC has obvious drawbacks that so many PC gamers never seem to highlight. Constantly updating your hardware and huge financial cost.

Spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

You only update the hardware to match improvements in gaming technology, so yes while there can be a cost with PC gaming it is a choice, one that you don't have on a console. Also Console games are more expensive than PC versions so over time the costs can easily even out.
    I'm not dissing consoles, I have a 360 and it's great for certain game types, but I'll never dump the PC for one, not even close.

• Advertisement

I agree that the RRP of PC games in generally is lower than that of console games but many people (alot around here I would reckon) wouldn't be paying the RRP for games.

But the difference is usually ten pounds. I think that it would take an awful lot of games before it evened out. Also, I just couldn't feel comfortable playing certain types of games on a PC. Obviously the likes of C&C are outstanding on it (FPS too I hear but personally would prefer the 360 controller-which Yes I know is available on the PC) but football sims, action/adventure games and RPGs wouldn't be my cup of tea on a PC if you have to sit up at a screen.

As you say though, it is a choice and many people choose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Sold the wii within 3 days

At least you gave it a good chance :rolleyes:

I have the 3 and although my ps3 is the system i use the most by a mile, its really hard not to recommend the 360, they are just amazing value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

tman wrote: »

The PS3 vs 360 debate has been done to death here already, try searching a bit and you should find some helpful threads

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Its difficult to say,really its your personal preference. I find very little difference between the xbox and ps3,bar the pice,however you have to pay to play games online on the 360,which you dont on ps3. The only one i wouldnt buy wud be the WII. Annoying games and controling,in my opinion.

Advertisement