Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox 360 question

• 20-12-2008 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

I recently got an external hard drive off a mate with a few films on it nad wanted to try to play it on the xbox.

The picture was perfect but there was no sound,I installed the update so I can't understand how there is no sound now.

I want to buy an external drive myself but not if I can't get any sound on the Xbox.

BTW the games on the Xbox have perfect sound.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

PAU wrote: »
    I recently got an external hard drive off a mate with a few films on it nad wanted to try to play it on the xbox.

The picture was perfect but there was no sound,I installed the update so I can't understand how there is no sound now.

I want to buy an external drive myself but not if I can't get any sound on the Xbox.

BTW the games on the Xbox have perfect sound.

Various reasons but it's probably a codec (coder / decoder algorithm) problem. It's common for encoders to use their codecs of choice. On a PC it's no hassle to download and install codecs so any video you throw at it will play OK. On the Xbox I'd imagine it has to be compatible with whatever drivers are available for the Xbox. (Most commonly DivX)

For the PC you can download
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
    which will tell you what codecs were used in creating the video. There's no alternative for the 360 though. But you could run that program, point it at your videos and see what sound codec was used. It's a bit of detective work though and it'll only give you info. You won't be able to fix the problem.

If the videos were downloaded from a reputable source and are DivX certified then it's probably not a codec problem. If the videos were downloaded from a torrent site they could have been coded by using anything and it's most likely to be that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭PAU

If the videos were downloaded from a reputable source and are DivX certified then it's probably not a codec problem. If the videos were downloaded from a torrent site they could have been coded by using anything and it's most likely to be that issue.

Thanks for the reply mate.

They were probably torrent rips but my other mate took the exact same hard drive and it worked perfectly on his Xbox.

Im guessing it must be something to do with my Xbox so??

It's not a codec problem so. Have you updated your Xbox? The older ones don't come with divx codecs as standard. If you've connected it to the internet it should update itself with that codec automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭PAU

Yeah I did,the first time I tried it,it asked me to update and it installed no problem,not sure what the problem is to be honest.

PAU wrote: »
    Yeah I did,the first time I tried it,it asked me to update and it installed no problem,not sure what the problem is to be honest.

Well that's my vast troubleshooting knowledge exhausted too.

Give MS a ring. Their support is pretty good for the Xbox.

Tell them
    1: you have a 360 that is updated with all the MS updates.
    2: that you have a hard drive with movies and the movies work fine in a friends 360 (that'll mean they can't blame the movies).

By the way try downloading an advert for one of the movie rentals on Xbox Live (there are hundreds). Does the sound play on those? If it doesn't you can just say the sound doesn't work on those to the MS tech.

I used to work in a tech support company. If you can get rid of all third party items in a support call you give the tech less items to blame that aren't his responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

Do DVD's play ok? What are the file types of the movies that don't work? Could they be HD WMV's? You could also try connecting an external hard drive that is formated to the apple file system with a movie you know should work. I'd try divx and wmv to see if it is indeed a codec problem.

Advertisement