Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marlay Park Autumn

• 20-12-2008 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Hi folks-this is my first time posting.Ive used film for many years but only got
    into digital fairly recently. Still trying to get my head around the post processing bit.Been a lurker for a while and some of the talent here is amazing.

Got a very nice morning in Marlay park recently and here's a few shots.

IMG_4271.JPG

IMG_4500.JPG

IMG_4483.JPG

Alan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I like them, #3 especially is very original.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Pivot_Al

Thanks AnimalRights. yeah I like the third myself. It was a very still day
    which allowed me use a slowish speed for the water but the leaves stayed
    sharp enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

I like them, #3 especially is very original.

I agree. Well done!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Nice work. I like #1 and #2 but feel that they would have been better in portrait.

Although i see originality in #3 it wouldn't be one for me. I think its nice to have a very strong foreground. But in this case the foreground is maybe 45% of the image and the splash of the background leaves the mind wondering too much as to what is happening behind the leaves. Maybe its crop'd too tight or, again in portrait mode maybe would give more context to the overall composition.

Nicely done overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Love the first one, because I know the waterfall and have tried to photograph it many times. Never that succesfully though...!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

ya the killers whare so cool thare

Thanks AnCatDubh. I spent most of the time trying to photograph the
    waterfall which was more powerfull than usual.the one focussing on the
    leaves rather than the waterfall was more trying to get a different perspective than the typical shot- you are the most helpful poster on this forum by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

love #1 , personally dont like the soft water effect, seen used here a lot just for me personally i'm not a fan of it, nothing wrong with the pic's just my taste. But it does work quite well in the 1st shot there, lovely how the light is catching the rocks and water there.

Love to see more shots of the park op its been really nice when ive been walking around it recently.

calex71 wrote: »
    Love to see more shots of the park op its been really nice when ive been walking around it recently.

Thanks Calex71 I know those blurry water effects are a bit of a cliche but its hard to pass a waterfall without slowing the shutter down!

Marlay Park is a great place for a walk with or without the camera.

Here's a few more taken earlier in the year.

IMG_3280.JPG

IMG_3314.JPG

IMG_3310.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 haff

Lovely photographs, I grew up across the road from Marley Park in Pine Valley but live in the US for the past few years. Great to see the auld haunt again :D

• Advertisement

Thanks haff - bet that tree hasn't changed much!

Looks exactly how I remember it, would love to see any more shots you have taken in the park. Last time I was in Ballinteer was the first time I had been there in about a decade, none of those apartments existed near the park at all (not to mention the newer roads, lol) so I spent the whole journey saying 'oh my god' over and over and over as I stared out of the car window. :rolleyes:

Never made it to Marley that visit, freshly inspired thanks to your posting to head over there as the day breaks with my dslr on the next 'vacation'

Hi haff- glad to see I have brought back a few memories for you-here's a few more of the park

IMG_3277.JPG

IMG_4452.JPG

IMG_4491.JPG

IMG_4470.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I like the first one.. the little dots of orange make it interesting.

Pivot_AL, you are a legend!

Thanks for the rapid reply with photo goodness. I used to catch frog spawn withing a few feet of the 1st pic (not too far from the primary school's sports day spot too :p), have played along the path (and in the bushes) in the 2nd photo, spent countless days and hours running about the 3rd and sloshed about until dark at that waterfall in the 4th. Thank you again for helping awaken some very pleasant memories

Im really pleased you liked the memories- give me a shout anytime

Advertisement