Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeview in galway???

Options
  • 20-12-2008 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Can anybody tell me about getting freeview in galway?
    My mothers house is in need of an upgrade from analog to digital and seen as though there are 3 tv's in the house i think sky will be too expensive.

is freeview available here either via air or cable? how much would the boxes set one back?

cheers, cormac.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Your options are Sky, NTL/UPC and a Freesat setup. Any which way is going to cost a few notes.

There's a few of the satellite installers around town who'll set up a Freesat rig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Not a chance of Freeview (digital terrestrial). You'd need a monster of an antenna for any chance! Freesat is a much more viable alternative, as Robbo has suggested. If sourcing a Freesat box proves troublesome, you could get a cheap Sky decoder (no viewing card required) or just a free-to-air (FTA) receiver and get a lot of free-to-air channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭poolfan

i think o connors do something like freeview. they are in one of those units on the sean mulvoy rd

The only thing to remember about freesat here is that there is no rte, tv3 or tg4. You would need an ariel for that.

At home we got rid of NTL mmds and got the O'Connor's freesat job.

It's grand and has BBC 1,2,3,4 ITV 1,2,3,4 CH4 E4 More4.

The TV in the kitchen has RTE.

I might try and update the decoder software to tidy up the channels over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Does one need a satellite for the 'o'connors freesat' job?

also how much does it cost.

currently trying to setup with NTL/UPC and it's turning into a nightmare already!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

freeview is a brand name for digital terrestrial in the UK that uses 1990s technology

It is coming here soon ( 2009) but with more advanced software .

That means that Freeview compatible gear from the UK will not work here in most cases ( some will if you add a neotion mpeg4 card to a slot on the side or front ) but Irish digital terrestrial gear will work in the UK .

tv_face_camin.jpg

No slot, no chance ever .

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

bryanjf wrote: »
    Does one need a satellite for the 'o'connors freesat' job?

also how much does it cost.

currently trying to setup with NTL/UPC and it's turning into a nightmare already!

Satellites are pretty expensive I believe costing in the region of 2 million euro!
    Why don't you just get a dish.
    FNAR! FNAR!

The only thing to remember about freesat here is that there is no rte, tv3 or tg4. You would need an ariel for that.

At home we got rid of NTL mmds and got the O'Connor's freesat job.

It's grand and has BBC 1,2,3,4 ITV 1,2,3,4 CH4 E4 More4.

The TV in the kitchen has RTE.

I might try and update the decoder software to tidy up the channels over Christmas.

To be honest I wouldnt have much time for the freesat stuff. No sky1 or sky2, discovery channels and loads of other channels aswell, no sky sports or setanta ireland and no digital quality rte1,2, tv3 and tg4. We have NTL but I would hope to get sky+ at some point absolute legend of a thing.

To be honest I wouldnt have much time for the freesat stuff. No sky1 or sky2, discovery channels and loads of other channels aswell, no sky sports or setanta ireland and no digital quality rte1,2, tv3 and tg4. We have NTL but I would hope to get sky+ at some point absolute legend of a thing.
    Me too, thank fully I haven't lived at home for a while. It will be annoying being restricted to those channels over christmas.

I will be depending on 3 3G broadband as well while i am at home.

If I ever move back I will be buying a sky+ box and subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Where we live, we can't even get rte (1 or 2) with bunny ears. We don't watch TV because we don't get any channels, but we have a TV for gaming consoles and DVDs.

I nearly spit blood when Mr Xiney insisted we still had to pay for the TV license. (No such thing as TV licenses in Canada)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭homerjay540

hey folks, thanks for all the replys.

doesn't look as good as i thought. i am living in the uk at the moment and it seems a lot easier and cheeper to get freeview there.

that comment about tv lisence rang a chord with me. i have a tv in my flat but don't need to buy tv lisence as i don't 'watch tv as it is broadcast'. i only watch dvd's and vhs (yes there are a few of those still hanging about).

however, back to my situation with the mothers house. there are 5 tv's in the house (i went nuts splitting analog cable a few years back). could live without 2 (or 3 max) of those connections but will need at least 2 (possibly 3) connections.

i am thinking now maybe the best way to go is get sky digital with one extra box. i think the rental on extra box is half price for the first year. can do without the extra tv's in the house (one could be used for dvd only, while the two bedroom ones aren't a complete necessity).

cheers for all your suggestions lads. i will look over everything at some stage tomorrow when i am sober and see if i can come to a conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

that comment about tv lisence rang a chord with me. i have a tv in my flat but don't need to buy tv lisence as i don't 'watch tv as it is broadcast'. i only watch dvd's and vhs (yes there are a few of those still hanging about).

Beware of the 'fine line' TV license thing..I got into it big time here with the license people as I have a computer and no telly, and refused to let the inspector in..so did a fair bit of research into it.
    I believe the rules are slightly different between the UK and Ireland regarding license. Basically if you have a telly that *can* receive tv, you must pay a license fee. Grey areas, that you likely *still* could get done for were computers with TV cards, and TV sets with receiver 'guts' removed.

Know your rights and tell 'em to feck off:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

freeview was great in the uk, but if i was you i would get a basic upc/ntl package and buy a digisender, there in argos about 50 euro i think
    you jusrt plug them into the back of a tv and it sends the cable too it

Advertisement