Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weak wireless strength

Options
  • 20-12-2008 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭

We've had wireless for over a year, and always the same problem. Despite Eircom telling us their system has us at full strength, the connectivity indicators on computers say we're at weak strength (2 out of 5 bars) The wireless router (Eircom Netopia) is only two rooms away from the two computers relying on it but the status is extremely weak. If I bring my laptop right next to the router, then full strength connections can be made.

Anyone know what might be causing the signal to going so weak only two rooms away? We're unable to move the router due to only one phone line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Hard to say. Thick walls? Interference?

Would a powerline alternative be a solution where you use your electrical cabling for your network with the necessary adapters? These are a bit pricey though.

Failing that, you might want to look at a wireless bridge. Something with a proper antenna can make all the difference as opposed to a little dongle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

ethernet wrote: »
    Hard to say. Thick walls? Interference?
    I wouldn't say it's thick walls. Walls are very thing and there is a door right next to the router connecting it to my room.

What might be causing interference?

ethernet wrote: »
    Failing that, you might want to look at a wireless bridge. Something with a proper antenna can make all the difference as opposed to a little dongle.

Anything you'd reccomend? What price range would we be looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

If they are block cyclinder walls you could have "silvered" insulation in the middle. It can have a huge effect.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

We keep emphasising to people on here that the performance of wireless varies in each situation and is notoriously hard to predict and diagnose. And a wireless signal will not conveniently notice that a door is open and head for it.

And by the way the strength of a wireless signal had nothing at all to do with the isp be it Eircom or anyone else.

Experiment, experiment, experiment.......

dub45 wrote: »
    We keep emphasising to people on here that the performance of wireless varies in each situation and is notoriously hard to predict and diagnose. And a wireless signal will not conveniently notice that a door is open and head for it.
    Fair enough, I thought it'd be like back in Science class where we're told energy and so on will look for the easiest way to where it needs to go.
    Thought the same thing might apply:o
    dub45 wrote: »
    And by the way the strength of a wireless signal had nothing at all to do with the isp be it Eircom or anyone else.
    Yeah, not saying it;s Eircom's fault, just giving the name of the router in case that makes a difference.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, I thought it'd be like back in Science class where we're told energy and so on will look for the easiest way to where it needs to go.
    Thought the same thing might apply:o

Your not too far off. Radio, especially Wifi, will work best when both machines can see each other unobstructed. Are they desktops that are trying to connect to the router? If they are the wifi cards are probably at the back of the machine beside all the cabling which is the worst place to have them. Maybe a USB dongle would be an idea if you don't want to go down the bridge route.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ironclaw wrote: »
    Your not too far off. Radio, especially Wifi, will work best when both machines can see each other unobstructed. Are they desktops that are trying to connect to the router? If they are the wifi cards are probably at the back of the machine beside all the cabling which is the worst place to have them. Maybe a USB dongle would be an idea if you don't want to go down the bridge route.

A usb dongle on an extension lead preferably:)

ironclaw wrote: »

THey are USB dongles on desktops.

THey are USB dongles on desktops.

Try get a lend of a usb extension cable. Place it nice and high, maybe on the screen. See is their any difference. Failing that, IMHO, its interference from insulation / material / walls or just RF.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Any chance of lifting floorboards, running CAT5 and be done with it? As has been mentioned, WIFI can be hard to predict and can be tempermental.

In my bro's house, his wifi router was in the converted attic and the signal on laptops on the ground floor wasn't great (3 floors incl the attic). Moved the router onto the middle floor (CAT5 runs to each of the rooms) Signal is a BIG improvement despite the router being in a bedroom.

Experiement, Experiment, Experiment, as has been quoted before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭odonnellcarey

USB extension leads are only €2 in most poundshops and would be well worth trying as a possible cheap fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

This may sound like a silly question to you but do you have any cordless telephone or wireless video sender devices in your home? If so they could be causing interference, especially a cordless telephone base station is it's near enough to your router.

There are ways around this, the ideal one being to drop the cordless telephone altogether however you can change the wireless channel on your netopia to a signal that's further away from the cordless basestations'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Wireless is VERY tempermental.
    I am currently investigating wiring my house entirely for network but it looks like a hard job.
    Are network cables easy to wire?
    What is the reliabilty like on those "push to fit" jack plugs you see on sale in Maplins and B&Q?
    Are there any testers you can buy to test out an installation to be sure you are making the right connections?
    Can you have two wireless transmitters off the same modem (cable modem,NTL) or would this confuse things?
    I was thinking one downstairs and one upstairs etc.....

Are network cables easy to wire?

They are the same as normal cabling. If your willing to chase walls etc then they arn't too bad. Saying that you don't have to rip up the house, you can just get neat ones and paint over. Personal preference.
    Are there any testers you can buy to test out an installation to be sure you are making the right connections?

Yes, but for one install, I wouldn't recommend them. Go slowly, check the wiring diagrams and then use a router laptop combo to check there working
    Can you have two wireless transmitters off the same modem (cable modem,NTL) or would this confuse things?

Provided they are on seperate, non-overlap, channels they should be fine. Don't have them too close. Personally, I wouldn't want two if I could avoid it. It is Wifi and radiation etc from them. Not that I believe the cancer theory but the less, the better IMHO.

Advertisement