Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I justify buying any electronics in Ireland?

Options
  • 20-12-2008 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Ill use an itouch 32gb as an example.

Itouch 32gb Ireland: 370euro
    Itouch 32gb N.Ireland: around 300euro
    Itouch 32gb USA: around 285euro

Id save more money traveling to the north buying it and coming back.
    Ridiculous.

How can Irish stores compete with this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

mY mate was up the north last week and saw 42"samsung series 6 for 499 pounds and he paid 1400 for the same telly 4 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

lowering there prices would be a start!!!! Biffo should cut the VAT rates me thinks and nothing can be done about the exchange rate from euro to dollar/pound... In relation to the pound its only a short term thing, theres no way its gonna stay around the 93p/€1 mark for ever so we may aswell lap up the cheap electronics while we can

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

But you order Ipod touch 32 from dabs.ie for €290 + P&P here

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭iii Stevo iii

Thanks for the info boopolo.
    Is that a brand new or refurbished itouch? Fantastic value if its brand new

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Thanks for the info boopolo.
    Is that a brand new or refurbished itouch? Fantastic value if its brand new

Its brand new!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How can Irish stores compete with this?

Pay people less?

Stekelly wrote: »
    Pay people less?
    Stores cannot really complete with online. I bought the 32GB from dab.ie a month ago for €319. Dabs re-adjust their price according to the £/€ every week or less. As the £ devalued the price was going down.

Yes it is brand new, and it is the 2nd generation model. Also it includes 21.5% Irish VAT (so you will be helping re-finance the banks :o).

Boo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

An 8gb iPod here is what, 250 odd on a guess.

95 euro in Sydney airport duty free. Ida picked up 10 of them for re sale here only I hadnt the time to withdraw/hide them well inside my luggage to avoid the customs. (I should have, seeing as arriving in Dublin and dealing with customs relies on you walking up to them and admitting you are carrying x amount of taxable goods. Bollocks anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

shane86 wrote: »
    Got one last week up North in Argos for €170 :D, there €219 in Argos here in the south :mad:.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭DOS

The stocks for the Irish Christmas Market would have been secured in October when the €/£ was less favourable. We also on top of that have a 6.5% higher sales tax here.

What you are cribbing about is like filling your oil tank in the end of Sep when it cost around €800, now it is nearly half price, but the value of oil inn your tank is still €800 less what you've burned since.

Distributers place orders with Apple for supply in September, October. Retailers place the orders with the distributer in November, Early December. The prices paid to Apple by the distributer must be recouped from the retailler. The prices the retailler paid to the distributer must be recouped from the consumer.

Simple.

In January, February we should expect to see price drops on fresh orders to reflect the currency changes of the last month or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hogzy wrote: »
    lowering there prices would be a start!!!! Biffo should cut the VAT rates me thinks
    Leaving aside whether that should or should not be done, the last two times the main VAT rates were cut, most retailers managed to get the prices back to where they were before pretty quickly, pocketing the difference. The problem isn't inherently with the VAT rates, it's with the retailers. Which brings it back to the consumers a lot of the time.

shane86 wrote: »

95 euro in Sydney airport duty free.
    Nay. They are €175 at dabs including duty and Vat.

I was in Sydney a few months ago and thought eletronics were more expensive than here. If they were selling Ipod Touch 8GB for €75, you will find that it was the first gen one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

You can justify by being a 'patriot' by giving your money to greedy companies who have milked you for so long, and then by giving vat to the government who will spend it on haircuts and their private drivers and to bail out banks but deny your daughters protection from cancer.

*should you actually be able to justify it it is clear that you have an IQ of minus 764,239,492,300 and for the sake of humanity should not reproduce and throw yourself infront of the LUAS as soon as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Itouch 32gb Ireland: 370euro
    Itouch 32gb N.Ireland: around 300euro

Id save more money traveling to the north buying it and coming back.
    Ridiculous.
    I wouldn't save money. Instead of paying for all that fuel and time wasted in travelling I could work overtime and make more than that difference, and not have the stress of sitting in traffic jams.

boopolo wrote: »
    Stores cannot really complete with online.
    This is now on powercitys site.
    If you see any product for Less elsewhere,
    including KOMPLETT and PIXMANIA or
    if you have a query on any product on our website.
    Please let us know before you Buy.
    Now they are not blatantly saying they will match it, but probably will go towards it. I got a item for 114 there, was 138 on pixmania with delivery.

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=50-05&brands=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

DOS wrote: »
    The stocks for the Irish Christmas Market would have been secured in October when the €/£ was less favourable.

But sterling v euro was nowhere near the rate being used in shops, even factoring in the higher VAT rate. Also the sterling price probably reflects a 17.5% VAT rate rather than the new 15% rate as a lot of shops in the UK still have the old price tags on them but charge you slightly less at the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

DOS wrote: »
    What you are cribbing about is like filling your oil tank in the end of Sep when it cost around €800, now it is nearly half price, but the value of oil inn your tank is still €800 less what you've burned since.

guess what i did :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Panasonic Lumix TZ5 -

Argos Ireland - €349.99

Argos UK - £225.19 = approx €238

That's a difference of €112 :eek:

Really hard to see why anyone would shop in Argos Ireland when that's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,404 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Bought a ps3 with 3 games for 325 euro in Argos up North.

The only worry is what to do if it breaks I am afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭f1_jb

Heres a good bargin for you

Samsung LE40A656A1FXXU 40in 1080p Digital LCD TV 100Hz.

Argos Uk £791.78 = €829

Argos IE €1649

What more can you say.

A Nintendo DS in only €101 in the sale in Argos up North as well.

It just shows if you looking to buy something electrical then it pays to look around and as for fuel prices traveling up most make a day out of if and I personaly would by pass Newry and head further up as it's only 20 minutes more travel.

Advertisement