Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New tax regime for 08 cars.

Options
  • 20-12-2008 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain the new tax regime. I know that it is based on emissions but how do you know which cars qualify for 150 euro tax. A friend imported a golf tdi from northern Ireland and told me he saved around 9k and that tax will be only 150 per annum approx. Do 08 Passats qualify for same rate and if so what other big diesels qualify ? I understand that these cars qualify for a very low vrt rate when imported.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

As you said its based on co2 emmissions. Most manufacturer websites will tell you the co2 of any particular model if buying new. You could also check the website vcacarfueldata for co2 for older cars (as vrt is emmissions based for pre 2008 cars).
    The 1.9 tdi passat 2008 is €290 to tax.

some other interesting cars that have 150 tax:

New model audi A6 2.0tdi 136 bhp approx
    Audi TT quattro 2.0tdi 170 bhp
    bmw 520d 177 bhp

The actual tax bands & vrt bands would be on here in one of the stickys im sure

• Registered Users Posts: 65,461 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

There is a link in the charter with all the relevant information! Not only does it affect motortax (on '08 and newer cars) but also VRT for when you are importing a car (on cars from any year)

Here it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

to give a certain perspective...
    with the 2l lexus im getting now, the current tax is €590, and the tax under the new system is €2000 - maybe i should have chosen a more environmentally friendly car but yeah :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,324 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Is it a 2008 Lexus? If not, the tax will stay at the old rate.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

nah its an old one - so im luckly only paying 590. well i will be soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Thanks for the help all, much appreciated.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

lads, the road tax only goes to the new CO2 system if it's 08, otherwise it's the same as all the other pre-08 cars out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

colm_mcm wrote: »
    lads, the road tax only goes to the new CO2 system if it's 08, otherwise it's the same as all the other pre-08 cars out there.

I thought imports also come under the new tax if imported after a certain date?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

BostonB wrote: »
    I thought imports also come under the new tax if imported after a certain date?
    Only if on a 08 plate or newer.

VRT is Co2 based for all cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,324 ✭✭✭✭Esel

And the minimum OMSP of a car for VRT purposes is now €2,000 (unless it's over 30 years old, in which case the OMSP is zero, and you pay a flat rate of €50 to register the car).

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement