Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Playboy of the Western World - Doyle

Options
  • 20-12-2008 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, I was just wondering whether those who happened to see this show on its last run would think it suitable for a maturish 12 year old girl (my sister). I have fairly liberal views on what it is appropriate to expose her to (most 15A films are fine), but Roddy Doyle's stuff can be very provocative. Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ocluggg

Doyle's work can be provocative alright but also predictable; ie the Dubs tell each other to f-off all the time and pushing his worn out myth that the rich live on the southside and the poor on the northside of Dublin; Fatima Mansions, Pimlico, Drimnagh etc, all working class South, Clontarf, Howth, Malahide, etc, all middle class North.

Dublin is far too complex and complicated than that and Doyle is out of his depth as a writer to deal with the real Dublin that's out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bennyblanco

Lot's of swearing,every second word almost but apart from that,no I don't think there's anything particularly offensive.Sexual references maybe but nothing too explicit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Apart from teh adult content bring her to something better, what a terrible play imo. Not that I have seen it, just read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

enjoyed every minute of it-she will have a good laugh-coronation street is far more explicit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bennyblanco

Apart from teh adult content bring her to something better, what a terrible play imo. Not that I have seen it, just read it.
    Yeah I must confess,I was glad when it was over,the beginning is amusing enough but I dont think there's any need to come back after the interval.

• Advertisement
Advertisement