Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Televangelists.

Options
  • 20-12-2008 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭

I love these guys, I have to say. Gene Scott and Tammy Faye are two of my favourites just for the sheer weirdness/ kitschness factor.

Gene Scott's stuff is kind of hard to find on Youtube anymore thanks to his widow, which is a real shame, because you really won't find much weirder.

Frightening guys and girls they are, and I don't consider them entirely representative, but they really know how to fire up the blood and there is something grimly fascinating about them. The weirder and more unreasonably angry, the better.

Anybody else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I have to say although part of me really hates them because they are such obvious con merchants, another part of me says fair play to them.

For example there is Peter Popoff who was very popular in the 70s and claimed that God communicated directly with him, but he was proven to be a fraud by James Randi who showed that Popoff's wife communicated with him via a hidden reciever in his ear. He went bankrupt after that but is now earning $500,000 by conning a new generation.

I really find it hard to feel sympathy for people who willingly give their hard earned money to such proven con merchants, as George Bush would say "Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

Advertisement