Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To the muppet....

Options
  • 20-12-2008 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭

To the muppet of a learner driver who managed to go the wrong way around the parkway roundabout and smashed into another car head on.
    Not only did you do this at probably the busiest roundabouts in Limerick,you also managed to pick the last Saturday night before Christmas.
    He has managed to basically stop anyone going from town or childers road to head out the Dublin Road.....he's an idiot :D

Seriously,how does someone manage to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Jaysus, ease up a bit. I'm pretty sure it wasn't intentional. A bit of delay is nothing to the trauma the poor fella (or girl) will be feeling. Let a bit of Christmas spirit out.

Breathe deeply. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Avns1s wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't intentional.

Maybe not, but it takes a special talent to go around a roundabout the wrong way. :)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've seen a lady do that in Shannon exiting a roundabout. Very hard to do, but she managed it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Throw the book at their unsupervised ass. I presume they were unsupervised because surely a full licensed driver would tell them not to do it.

You may take some solice in the fact that their insurance will not cover their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Berty wrote: »
    Throw the book at their unsupervised ass. I presume they were unsupervised because surely a full licensed driver would tell them not to do it.

You may take some solice in the fact that their insurance will not cover their car.
    Why not?

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    Why not?

Previously insurance companies decided to make the insurance nul and void except the government came back saying that the other driver/injured party should not be left high and dry and nor should the Insurance board of Ireland uninsured driver accident fund have to bear the cost of it.

So, the Insurance companies federation decided that even if the driver had fully comp in an accident that because they were breaching the terms of their license and/or drivers permit that they would not avail of any insurance but the other injured/damaged party would.

Even if the learner driver crashs into to you and break a few ribs their insurance wont even cover their personal injuries because of their breach of the terms of their license, hence illegal driving.

Their Insurance would also go through the roof as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Any driver who does something like that really does deserve to be taken off the road..its not like its a miniroundabout..could of easily hurt someone (maybe he did,i dont know)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Previously insurance companies decided to make the insurance nul and void except the government came back saying that the other driver/injured party should not be left high and dry and nor should the Insurance board of Ireland uninsured driver accident fund have to bear the cost of it.

So, the Insurance companies federation decided that even if the driver had fully comp in an accident that because they were breaching the terms of their license and/or drivers permit that they would not avail of any insurance but the other injured/damaged party would.

Even if the learner driver crashs into to you and break a few ribs their insurance wont even cover their personal injuries because of their breach of the terms of their license, hence illegal driving.

No Berty.

IIF have stated that even if a provisional license holder drives unaccompanied, their motor policy will still provide cover.

No Berty.

IIF have stated that even if a provisional license holder drives unaccompanied, their motor policy will still provide cover.

Only to the third party.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

My mam said the Gardaí couldn't get at the driver with the amount of "hoods" surrounding the car when she passed after dropping me to my Christmas party.

You can probably assume from such behaviour that there wasn't any insurance ion the first place.

What a TOOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm not sure that that's correct, why should your insurance be void for breaking one law but not another?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭mormank

i hate learner drivers who drive unsupervised..they should all be taken off the road and have their cars impounded when caught driving with no license...no excuse for it imo and they continue to do it as they know if they are caught they will get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

I am not of the preaching variety but if you don't know how to get round a roundabout properly you should not pass the theory test as it covers it in the questions regarding the right of way and how to act at a roundabout.
    Now if you manage to get the wrong way around the parkway at a busy time it is a serious achievement to even get out on it the wrong way. Seriously how does it happen?
    At the parkway especially. Permanently take any license he/she may hold at any time as he/she is a very special individual indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Kablam

mormank wrote: »
    i hate learner drivers who drive unsupervised..they should all be taken off the road and have their cars impounded when caught driving with no license...no excuse for it imo and they continue to do it as they know if they are caught they will get away with it

Yeah they are real scum, death penalty i'd give em:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I am not of the preaching variety but if you don't know how to get round a roundabout properly you should not pass the theory test as it covers it in the questions regarding the right of way and how to act at a roundabout.
    Now if you manage to get the wrong way around the parkway at a busy time it is a serious achievement to even get out on it the wrong way. Seriously how does it happen?
    At the parkway especially. Permanently take any license he may hold at any time as he is a very special individual indeed.

Interesting you assume it was a man, I'd hazard a guess that it was a woman myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭mormank

Kablam wrote: »
    Yeah they are real scum, death penalty i'd give em:rolleyes:

this is the exact kind of attitude that contributes to a problem instead of helping..you must be an illegal driver yourself..im not sayin death obv but if you break the law you deserve to suffer the consequences. it is part of the reason that the standard of driving in ireland is so low...here in australia they have road laws in place that if you introduced to ireland it would cause many deaths on the roads as so many of our drivers are unable to drive correctly and fall down when it comes to basic logic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Kablam

mormank wrote: »
    this is the exact kind of attitude that contributes to a problem instead of helping..you must be an illegal driver yourself..im not sayin death obv but if you break the law you deserve to suffer the consequences. it is part of the reason that the standard of driving in ireland is so low...here in australia they have road laws in place that if you introduced to ireland it would cause many deaths on the roads as so many of our drivers are unable to drive correctly and fall down when it comes to basic logic

No not an illegal driver at all kemosabi. I do agree that the standard of driving in Ireland is the pit's, but we have to work with the system that our (hopeless) government has provided us.
    More driver training is required before being allowed to get behind the wheel but what did the department of transport do? They simply moved the goalposts in a knee jerk reaction to the amount of deaths on the road by making it illegal for someone to drive with L plates unaccompanied,
    I mean there a bigger problems than that out there on our roads.
    But outside of a drivers ability or training there are some seriously thick people out there as detailed by the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

But drivers in ireland are left away with so much more than the british public! If you get caught driving unaccompanied as a L driver. They dont let you drive away. Also people that drive around with missing lights, get tickets, here, the gardai just drive right past without doing anything? Why aint they doing their job?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

another accident at kilmurry roundabout last night, second iv seen in two weeks, and looks like very similar circumstnaces, boy racers cutting through. the accident was at two exits, which would suggest that the person responsible tried to drive away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Kablam wrote: »
    I mean there a bigger problems than that out there on our roads.
    But outside of a drivers ability or training there are some seriously thick people out there as detailed by the OP.
    Granted, but unaccompanied L drivers have to be in the top 5 to re-enforce the fact that driving is a privilege to be earned and not a right for anyone who puts L-plates on any sort of thing with 4 tyres and an engine.

The flippancy surrounding L-Drivers is the root of all driving problems on our roads, not the cause.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭xw2lj9uspm1eyh

Well probably convinced mum and dad to take em for a drive around to save money instead of doing lessons i must admit i nearly drove into a roundabout when i started off nerves got the better of me and i froze :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

It takes a special kind of talent to drive like that. How would you even go the wrong way there?? All instincts if nothing else ( I assume this lalloo hasn't got to the theory test stage yet-as that's basic driving 101 there.) point to the opposite way- he/she must have driven around cars going the opposite way to do that!
    Talent-pure talent. :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

i'll take a safe guess at racers trying to cut corner to get ahead.

Advertisement