Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I eligible for a grant?

Options
  • 20-12-2008 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭

I know this forum is probably sick of these questions but......
    Im 20 have no leaving cert but recently finsihed a FETAC level 5 course which means I can go to college in september 09 I even have a garunteed place.
    But the problem is I have checked all the legislation and apparantl Im not eligible for any financial assistance I cant get BTEA because I have already been recieving it for the FETAC course.
    Help please, Im dying to know but everyones on christmas holidays:rolleyes:
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

Hi ,try studentfinance.ie ,plenty of info there .good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Who told you you weren't eligble and what reason was given? Have you asked your county council?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

As brianthebard said, check with your county council. You should also call in to your local VEC office.

Just based on your original post - the grant system allows progression from, say, level 5 to a higher level on the National Framework of Qualifications. You don't have to have a Leaving Cert to be eligible for a grant! So you may indeed be eligible. As other have said check it out with your local authority (Council or VEC). Keep in mind that the plan is to move all grant applications to the VECs in 2009 so there may be other changes occuring within the grant scheme - ask when you're talking to them to see if it'll impact you. There may be something specific about your application which may make you eligible or ineligible so without a microscope I'm afraid none of us here can give you an official answer.

As for BTEA I'm not uptodate on the particulars but as them helpful people below have said, really make sure to check everything out officially with the local authority or social welfare office. If you don't and you find out you were actually eligible for something, well, you'll only be kidding yourself!

Best of luck with it.

Dónal

Advertisement