Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden Cocker rage

Options
  • 20-12-2008 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

My golden cockerspaniel gets very posessive over things like socks. The funny thing is though he takes his anger out on his foot. I mean he chews it! and growls and snaps at anyone who tries to touch him or take the sock. A similar thing happens if you pet him for too long. I've done a little reading on this and I think it's a condition called rage, probably from inbreeding. I would just like to know if anyone else has a dog that suffers from this problem and if they found a way to control it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Hi,

Coker rage usually manifests itself towards humans, i.e. unprovoked attacks. This is how it is usually diagnosed in Cockers and other breeds (not just the Cocker suffers from Rage Syndrome). What you describe sounds more like a behavioural problem, ie resource/toy guarding.

Here is a good link to a Rage Syndome page http://members.lycos.co.uk/ragesyndromeinfo/index.htm but I think your dog would benefit from a good trainigs course rather than a vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DEEMAR

Hi there. Just saw you post. We have a 1year old golden cocker who has quite a good temperament most of the time, but he becomes very tense and aggressive when feeding. Also has become aggressive if disturbed when asleep, and like your one, is possessive of toys etc. We've tried lots of things and spoke to a dog trainer who could help but can't guarantee it can be fixed. Unfortunately he has bitten, and he may have to go. How is your dog doing - have you had any success?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I have a one year old golden cocker, well 14 months, but anyway...

When he was younger he used to run round the garden like a demented lunatic & not listen to anything. At first I thought it was rage, cos he would pay no attention to anything I'd say, and all the hype on the internet worried me.
    However, he never showed any aggression when going round & round in huge circles - he was just using up all his energy, seems his long walks weren't always enough for him.

He also used to get a bit aggressive in growling when we'd try to take toys from him, but never bit. Realised it was the hormones at the time, got the snip done & he'd calmed down in a month or so once the testosterone had left his system.

As for snapping while going near his food - I think thats something that can be trained out of him.
    We have over manhandled our guy from the start, while he's eating, pulling away his food, giving it back, tugging on his ears, and I think this has really helped.
    He doesn't snap at all, and will sit and wait for his food & wont start until he's allowed.

Obviously, if there's already a growling and snapping streak in him, play it carefully and seek some professional advice on how to train it out of him, but definitely consider the op if he hasn't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I've a Blue Roan Cocker and rage syndrome is more common in the full colour than the parti colour. What you're describing though doesn't sound like rage syndrome at all.

I have spoken to a woman who ran a Dogs In Distress Centre and she said she had a huge amount of cockers through her door. She also said she wouldn't agree with rehoming one in a house with a child under ten.

That said, I've never had any problem with my cocker and I've a baby on the way and I've no worries. In fact, my one year old nephew and my partner's two year old niece often go over the top with her when it comes to affection but she's never touched either of them or growled or anything.

The only time I've ever seen her growling is at another dog because she gets jealous easily. Even the vet commented that she's got great temperament.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭McNulty

Adding in my two cent...I have 2 Blue Roan cockers and one of the problems with them is that they are just daft.

I've had no worries with them and our 1 year old and we also have another baby on the way. They are indifferent more than anything.

With regards to the possesiveness, they are a bit possesive sometimes but have never snapped. We followed a very similar approach to Spurscormac with the food etc as that was a key thing we were told to do. The only time I won't ut my hand in is if they are growling at each other over a bone (usually when fatty finishes first) then I just call one into a different room before removing it.

They are similar with the socks etc, but it's become more of a tug of war game sometimes - there is growling but it's not aggressive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sn00ps

Hi

I am on my 2nd Golden Cocker spaniel but travel across to the UK to get my guys as they had a program of weeding out Cocker Rage about 10-15 years ago. They stopped breeding Goldens completely. I know this as my first guy was one if the new breeds post cleansing so to speak! The rage was well recognised over there and was down to cross breeding for physical traits like colour other than personality which is really what the cocker is all about.

My lad is mad .. totally, but in a nice way. I agree with Cormac having the snip done does calm them but not in any way change their personality. My guy gets a 3 mile walk and he's still ready for more. Very hyper dogs :)

I'm not sure if there has ever been such a program in Ireland but it hasn't affect roan or roan mixes, this is purely a Golden issue from my information. From what I see of the Golden Cockers here, it can be hit and miss. I know some breeders with beautiful calm dogs and then I come across ones that have a screw loose. You would really need to know older dogs from the same gene pool and that's not always easy to see. It's not one of those traits that you will see even if you get to see the puppies with their parents. Perhaps this is a question for a vet.

However, what you seem to have here is a doggie training issue, even the biting is not an indication of a 'bad' dog. I'll let the experts on here comment about that. Just persevere, remember the toys, socks or whatever are yours not the dogs.

HTH
    sn00ps

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DEEMAR

Thanks for all your replies.

We are going to take him to the vet and get some advice. Im really disappointed with the 'outbursts' he has, because most of the time he is very good. We previously had a golden cocker for 14 years 'Max' - he was an absolute dote, and he was very good with children. This new guy 'Charlie' is of similar temperament, except for the bouts of aggression and the scary thing is that, as well as feeding time, the outburst can be when least expected i.e. if he is disturbed while sleeping. We have tried so many different ideas, like some you have mentioned, but not successfully. Anyway we will talk to the vet and maybe take him to training sessions. If nothing works however, we have a tough decision to make ....... Thanks again.

Advertisement