Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piercing apprenticeship

• 20-12-2008 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭

Any ideas how i can get one??
    been trying for two years.

Any piercers here wanna give me one?
    or even a few hours of work during the weekends?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Go to the shops, ask there, get some piercings get to know the piercers.4 years and 50+ piercings and two offers of an apprenticship fallen through, still dont got one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭xseanx

its so bent,
    i realy want one.

One the hardest jobs to get into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

xseanx wrote: »
    its so bent,
    i realy want one.

you'll need to give better reasons that this when you ask for one.

what age are you? I got turned down repeatedly when I was younger, largely due to my age.

hot2def wrote: »
    you'll need to give better reasons that this when you ask for one.

what age are you? I got turned down repeatedly when I was younger, largely due to my age.

i'm 20

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

still kinda young.

do any college, or related jobs?

Same here and I've been going for four years! Mayvbee they just dont like you :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I've been trying since about 18, been turned down so many times. I'm still at it though and plugging away at local studios.

I'm now 22 and people are beginning to take me more seriously about how bad I want this. Finishing in college next semester then going all out to try get one.

It is sh!t hard to find a place willing to take you on, it's even harder to convince them you're worth taking on.

I've been offered 1 apprenticeship so far but turned them down since I didn't like the attitude of the piercer and the quality of their work. I was offered another one in France but was told to pay €2,000. Normally I wouldn't mind as long as it was for 2 years or so, however it was only for two WEEKS!

Again, you shouldn't jump on any apprenticeship unless you are totally satisfied they will teach you, and teach you well. Personally speaking I wanna be the best and won't settle for anything less than the best piercers I know teaching me, likewise any piercer who wants to take on an apprentice only wants the best, they don't want a waster or someone who is gonna think they're some rock star.

just my 2cents :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Just a suggestion, dunno if it'd help you but would some kind of practical art course be of value in this field? Say a portfolio course or something along those lines, you'd end up with a folder full of good quality work to show them, demonstarting your skills as an artist etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Just a suggestion, dunno if it'd help you but would some kind of practical art course be of value in this field? Say a portfolio course or something along those lines, you'd end up with a folder full of good quality work to show them, demonstarting your skills as an artist etc.

For a tattoo apprenticeship, it'd be a necessity really.

For piercing, wouldn't really be of any help!

• Advertisement

for piercing it would be good if you had some kind of first aid certificate etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

+1 to First Aid and Blood Borne Pathogens courses. That'd probably be a strong point in your application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

First aid is handy but there are no courses that i'm aware of that are just for blood borne pathogens etc.

very few piercers have taken courses. I saw one piercer who had proudly pinned up on his wall that he had taken an online course in cross contamination.... bit of a joke :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

Will's on the money there. It'd be really great if there was a decent APP type conference in Europe since at the US one they have workshops in pathogens, cross contamination and new techniques etc.

Advertisement