Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to An Post?

Options
  • 20-12-2008 10:59pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've tried to visit 3 different postoffices, all in Dublin 2, over the past 2 weeks to buy stamps. I've alternatively queued for 1 hour 20 mins (Suffolk Street)- before having to leave (my lunch break was well and truly over)- it seemed to me that 95% of the customers were involved in transactions other than anything to do with posting letters/parcels (most were using banking facilities), 1 hour again at 10.30AM the following morning before giving up (this time it was social welfare recipients), and then another hour the following morning before giving up- once again social welfare recipients, but also a fool who took over a half hour to renew his television license and all this time there was only one window open (An Post Merrion Row)..........

If anyone bitches this year about not getting a card from me- its because I couldn't get stamps!!!

Is it possible for An Post to accept that their core business involves the posting and delivery of cards, letters and packages- and their other activities are non-core, and should not impinge on their core activities. Perhaps recognising this through opening at least one counter solely for dealing with Post- as oppossed to any other service they provide?

Its reached the stage where its next to impossible to use An Post for anything postal related.........:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I take your point, aren't they responsible for TV licences as well?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hagar wrote: »
    I take your point, aren't they responsible for TV licences as well?

Its a contract they tendered for from RTE. Its not part of their core activities- its some add-on business they thought would be convenient for drumming up revenue.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

buy stamps in a newsagent?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

buy stamps in a newsagent?

I got 6 in the busstop Newsagent on Grafton Street, Reads had none nor did any other local shops- I've tried.......

For small international packages- its simpler to bite the bullet and pay an extra couple of quid (at least it gets there in a reasonable amount of time too!) but for local post, letters or postcards- An Post have a monopoly......

Is it too much to suggest they segregate their business into "Posting Items" and "Everything Else"......?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Most post offices have little machines that you can buy stamps from. Green boxes on the wall. I think you need the exact change though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Why not just buy them online and save yourself all the hassle?

Irish Stamps (An Post Company) minimum purchase 8 euro.

An Post direct minimum purchase 50 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I don't know. Some people just like to moan. All our Post Offcies here have machines (work every time I'm in) and the local shops do books of stamps of several values.

As for the "core business" - TV Licences, Gas or Electric payments etc are where they are making what little profit they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I was in GPO last Thurs and was only waiting less than 20 mins, despite the long queues. The Post office on Merrion Row is a nightmare to deal with from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

smccarrick wrote: »
    Its a contract they tendered for from RTE. Its not part of their core activities- its some add-on business they thought would be convenient for drumming up revenue.......

The contract is not with RTE as the broadcasrter does not get the licence revenue, it's wiht the Minister for Communications

Nor is it an add on business convenient for drumming up revenue as the contract is on a cost recovery basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

I understand your frustration but you were more than likely going in at peak times. It's like that everywhere. Lunchtime and Thursdays/Fridays are pension/social welfare days and boy dare the queues long. Here in Swords they stretch outside an already lengthy post office out the door and up the street. Some of this is due to the fact that people who signed on from a few months ago now MUST get their dole directly from the post office - you are not allowed get it direct into your account anymore.

Anyway once you know the key times you can avoid them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

OP, i feel your pain...

In the past i've seen post offices put up signs inside the branches advising when their busy and quiet times are - it'd be handy if they'd do them again.

Also, the banks have signs up asking ppl to fill in all the paperwork before they get to the counter - i've never seen the equivalent in post offices and it can be exasperating waiting in line as those at the counter fumble around in their pockets, dig out the bill from the bottom of their bags or sloooowly start to fill in a form.

The stamp machines, when they're working, are really handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

smccarrick wrote: »
    IIs it too much to suggest they segregate their business into "Posting Items" and "Everything Else"......?

You were only up the road from it - doesn't the GPO do this?

I absolutely agree with your point. The post office should have a window for Social welfare transactions, a window for business/bulk mailings and windows for everything else. But definitely a seperate window for welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Could have gone to a private place.
    There's a place called bizpost in the IFSC, I use it as it's handy and can buy and send packages and stuff for my wheelin n'dealin on adverts.ie

You've some valid points OP but there are loads of options for buying stamps as posted above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Look on the bright side ,at least you won't have to buy cards next year.

Happy christmas! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

pigeons

Advertisement