Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet Port>Wireless?

Options
  • 21-12-2008 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Hey,just wondering if its at all possible to turn a single ethernet port into a wireless transmitter using a device,like one of those repeaters/or similar ???

It's for my apartment where I'd like to have wireless because of my laptop.

Suggestions?
    Any help appreciated! Ron

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

This might be a solution, or it might not..

Max Burns in Dublin have the following for sale.

http://maxburns.ie/start/wireless.html

Both of the below use a RALINK chipset, they can be turned into a 'Soft AP' (access point) at the click of a mouse, they work great with DS, PSP and laptop/desktop access.

Plug it into a USB port on the PC with internet access, then configure the Soft AP application, WEP, WPA2, MAC filtering etc.. Link up and as long as there's WWW access on the main PC, you're good to go with whatever you want to surf with.

112346.JPG

112295.JPG

I have the Konig, I think they just have the Edimax in stock at the moment, but both are identical inside.. and use default RALINK drivers. Not hardware maker specific (as branded), but chipset specific.

Plug and PLay under Linux. Ubuntu, Knoppix, Backtrack 3 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

No Im pretty sure that won't work? Could be wrong,fairly new to all this stuff....

Something like this,but with an etherport instead of usb on the end,is that possibe atall?

STD1_F5D7050.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Burklert

Do Not use RALINK or Sweex two cheap wireless vendors.

The pain, misery and suffering will eclipse the sun (not that we have any)

I'v worked on enough laptops using the edimax or ralink software to know its a bucket of crap. If you want reason i can list but really dont buy ralink!

/rant

Not answering the question but hopefully saving you from the pain of that product!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Burklert wrote: »

I'v worked on enough laptops using the edimax or ralink software to know its a bucket of crap. If you want reason i can list but really dont buy ralink!

/rant

Not answering the question but hopefully saving you from the pain of that product!

Also Belkin.../shudder

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you are in the postion where your apartment block is cabled for internet it may be possible to do what you want with a wireless point.

I am not familiar with such situations - but I presume that there is a router somethere in the set up so the wireless point should be sufficient.

If the apartment block is cabled and you are picking up some wireless networks why not ask some of your neighbours what their set up is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Burklert wrote: »

/rant

Can you be more specific.. the very reason that I recommended those two dongles is that they use the generic driver pack from the Ralink site and work just fine. They have a unique Soft AP mode that the OP might have found useful.

The RT73 chipset works under Linux, Windows etc. There's not that much that can go wrong with them. Apologies, not trying to start a flame war, my post sounds tetchier than it should.. We all have our pet hates, don't get me started about certain Broadcom products..

Mentioning Belkin or Sweex doesn't mean much as it is the hardware manufacturer that will cause you problems, not the brand marketing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Maybe I mis read the question, but is the ethernet port your trying to convert to a wireless AP on the router or a computer? If its on a router then just buy a wireless router. Hey presto.

It's not on a router its on a single ethernet port,I want to find out if theres a device to transmit wireless signals from it. That's it.

donmeister wrote: »
    It's not on a router its on a single ethernet port,I want to find out if theres a device to transmit wireless signals from it. That's it.

Yes but unfortunately the people on here are not mind readers and need as much information as possible to try and help you but you must help us - so the basic question people need to know is where exactly is this ethernet port?

dub45 wrote: »
    Yes but unfortunately the people on here are not mind readers and need as much information as possible to try and help you but you must help us - so the basic question people need to know is where exactly is this ethernet port?

It's in my bedroom beside my desk,its just so I can actually go into the kitchen with the laptop not dragging a big cat5 cable around with me :D

• Advertisement

It's in my bedroom beside my desk,its just so I can actually go into the kitchen with the laptop not dragging a big cat5 cable around with me :D

And is the ethernet connection part of a broadband system in the apartment complex?

And is the ethernet connection part of a broadband system in the apartment complex?

Yes

If its part of the apartment complex BB, then you just need a Wifi router. Not an ASDL Wifi Router, just a Wifi Router.

ironclaw wrote: »
    If its part of the apartment complex BB, then you just need a Wifi router. Not an ASDL Wifi Router, just a Wifi Router.

Like extracting teeth!:rolleyes:

Would it be necessary to put the wi fi router into bridging mode? Surely there would be a routing function already in operation somewhere in the system?

That was why I suggested earlier checking to see if any of the neighbours had a wifi system in operation and asking how they achieved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭innisfree

People seem to be suggesting solutions that are off-shoots of what you asked, so if I'm to read your question again, I'd imagine you're looking for something like what I got before. It was a Buffalo Airstation 'ethernet converter'.

I plugged it into the ethernet port on my desktop computer and then my desktop could pick up the wifi in the house. The reason I did this was that the computer was so old I was having difficulty finding wireless cards that were compatible. I also didn't want any USB solution as I find these things to be bloated and require extra drivers and would use up a USB port. I had an ethernet port doing nothing and imagined (correctly) that as its function was to network, plugging a wireless converter into it wouldn't add any extra drivers or software.

Now, if I'd tracked down a definite wifi card for the computer I would have chosen that instead, but the Buffalo did a grand job as an alternative.

*edit* The conversation has since developed while I was writing this, and now I'm as confused as everyone else. If your laptop can pick up wireless already then ignore my advice. Looks like you need a bog standard wireless router that's the normal way most people have to go about making their internet wireless.

Wifi Router.

Any pointers as to where to find one of these? I know what an ADSL router looks like,are these nearly the same?

Thanks everyone for all the help! :D

innisfree wrote: »
    People seem to be suggesting solutions that are off-shoots of what you asked, so if I'm to read your question again, I'd imagine you're looking for something like what I got before. It was a Buffalo Airstation 'ethernet converter'.

I plugged it into the ethernet port on my desktop computer and then my desktop could pick up the wifi in the house. The reason I did this was that the computer was so old I was having difficulty finding wireless cards that were compatible. I also didn't want any USB solution as I find these things to be bloated and require extra drivers and would use up a USB port. I had an ethernet port doing nothing and imagined (correctly) that as its function was to network, plugging a wireless converter into it wouldn't add any extra drivers or software.

Now, if I'd tracked down a definite wifi card for the computer I would have chosen that instead, but the Buffalo did a grand job as an alternative.

The product you mention seems to be for extending an already existing wireless network thats if I am reading this correctly:

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Reviews.asp?ProductID=2375.

You can use an ASDL router with wifi on board. Its all the same. Maplin (shudder..) or Argos / PC World should have them. Most have 4 ethernet ports, a WAN port (where you'll plug in from your wall) and a wireless bit. Some have the 4 ethernet ports and a wireless bit.

All the same at the end of the day! :)

You can use an ASDL router with wifi on board. Its all the same. Maplin (shudder..) or Argos / PC World should have them. Most have 4 ethernet ports, a WAN port (where you'll plug in from your wall) and a wireless bit. Some have the 4 ethernet ports and a wireless bit.

All the same at the end of the day! :)

Definitely not all the same. Buying an adsl router with wi fi would definitely not be a good recommendation in this case. The adsl wi router/modem will not have a wan port and that will only cause trouble and difficulty.

What you need (if indeed it is the solution in this case) is what is often referred to as a cable wireless router. The shops will know what you re looking for.

But I would be interested in hearing the experts views on whether it will be necesarry to put it into bridge mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Well if we can extract more blood sorry info from the OP as to the circumstances (is it a college apt etc) then we could give better advice.

MC

• Advertisement

Well if we can extract more blood sorry info from the OP as to the circumstances (is it a college apt etc) then we could give better advice.

MC

Its a college apartment,if that helps

Its a college apartment,if that helps

Are any of the other residents running wireless networks do you know?

By the way we have now had 23 posts in this thread and are not near finding the answer yet.

When posting initally it really would help if people gave as much information as possible.

This process should not be like extracting teeth or participating in a detective story/

OK so you will have routing already in place, did you have to register a MAC address with the college or complex? Or did they ask to see your computer etc to get that info from it?

What you need is a router with an RJ45 (network) type/size socket as opposed to the RJ11 (smaller) phone type WAN socket used on ADSL routers. How you will connect it depends on how you answer my questions above.

MC

Are any of the other residents running wireless networks do you know?

As far as I know,there are no other wireless networks in the vicinity.
    process should not be like extracting teeth or participating in a detective story/

How? I live in a apartment,its student acc.,and It has one ethernet port which I'd like to turn wireless,what more do you need to know??

Didn't have to register a MAC Address or anything,just straight plug+go...

I'd say a Cable Wireless router. You should be set to go. I wouldn't worry about bridge mode etc. It shouldn't apply here. Its a simple application.

If it was plug n go as you say then you are looking for a cable router as descibed above.

WAN has an RJ45.

MC

Linksys are one of the better ones: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=314078

This is the GL version of the WRT54 so you can flash it with DD-WRT or OpenWRT to get loads more usability or just leave it as is and use the Linksys frimware.

MC

+ 1 on the WRT54 router. Ace piece of kit.

I'd say a Cable Wireless router. You should be set to go. I wouldn't worry about bridge mode etc. It shouldn't apply here. Its a simple application.

Yes but will there not already be a router somewhere in the apt block?

How? I live in a apartment,its student acc.,and It has one ethernet port which I'd like to turn wireless,what more do you need to know??

Didn't have to register a MAC Address or anything,just straight plug+go...

25 posts later though! That's my point - for anyone posting with a problem please give as much information as possible up front.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Yes but will there not already be a router somewhere in the apt block?

id imagine there would have to be , this could be fun if the OP get a router and enables dhcp on it

Advertisement