Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband bundle worries

Options
  • 21-12-2008 12:57am

I have been on the home plus broadband with eircom since January 2007. I rang up last week because I wanted to upgrade to their new Home Advanced package that had 7mb speeds and a 50gb download cap which I would be taking advantage of.

However the sales person I spoke to recommended I go for a bundle. He said it would cost only €32 a month (because of the eircom social welfare allowance I get) as opposed to €40 a month for home advanced.

My download speeds were increased within 24 hours. However the download usage page still says I have a cap of 30gb. I'm a little worried what I have signed up for. The bundles page of the eircom website say the minimum contract is 12months :eek: I never expressly checked with the sales person that I would be getting a 50gb download limit. What if the sales person misled me? Any advice welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There have been some posts on upgrades not showing up in the d/l limits.

1. It should reset at months end
    2. they do not charge if you exceed the cap by a few 10s of Gbs

Chill, I would think !

Excellent. Thank you very much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

I've had the same problem. Upgraded to the 7MB bundle a couple of months back. My download limit shows 40 GB per month not the 50 it should be. I got onto Support, the girl I spoke to wanted to know how I could know that, I told her I was looking at my statistics on their website. She didn't know anything about the stats page.

The she went away for a while and came back and said 40GB was correct. I offered to email her a copy of their own website ad, she went away again and came back and said sorry it should be 50GB but support couldn't change it, I'd have to ring Sales.

Got onto Sales and to make a long story short, they said they couldn't change it either but not to worry they don't charge for going over the limit.

I told him I wasn't accepting that, so he advised me to get onto Complaints. Rang Complaints, the guy I spoke to said he would check it out and get back to me. He rang me back the next day, apologised and guaranteed it would be corrected within 48 hours.

It wasn't changed, waited until the end of the month to see if it would change with the monthly rollover, needless to say it didn't.

It seems to be impossible for anybody in Eircom to make a simple change to their database.

I'm not giving up on this, I've logged all the dates, times and names of people I've spoken to. I'm going to write to the Chairman and CEO next to see if there's any response, not too hopeful, but I'll keep on to get my complaint on record in case there's a change of policy and they start charging for going over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Having worked in their technical suport in the past their is absolutely nothing they can do for you..

You really wont be charged for going over it though and it would be billing/complaints that can fix it.

People also seem to forget that technical support is only support.. they cannot set the parameters of your line or stats, and when we can it's very limited.

I've just checked my download stats and it says I have a download allowance of 40gb too:confused::confused::confused: Crazy?

Doesn't look like they care either way about it....need not have upgraded really.....
    oisin wrote: »
    I've had the same problem. Upgraded to the 7MB bundle a couple of months back. My download limit shows 40 GB per month not the 50 it should be. I got onto Support, the girl I spoke to wanted to know how I could know that, I told her I was looking at my statistics on their website. She didn't know anything about the stats page.

The she went away for a while and came back and said 40GB was correct. I offered to email her a copy of their own website ad, she went away again and came back and said sorry it should be 50GB but support couldn't change it, I'd have to ring Sales.

Got onto Sales and to make a long story short, they said they couldn't change it either but not to worry they don't charge for going over the limit.

I told him I wasn't accepting that, so he advised me to get onto Complaints. Rang Complaints, the guy I spoke to said he would check it out and get back to me. He rang me back the next day, apologised and guaranteed it would be corrected within 48 hours.

It wasn't changed, waited until the end of the month to see if it would change with the monthly rollover, needless to say it didn't.

It seems to be impossible for anybody in Eircom to make a simple change to their database.

I'm not giving up on this, I've logged all the dates, times and names of people I've spoken to. I'm going to write to the Chairman and CEO next to see if there's any response, not too hopeful, but I'll keep on to get my complaint on record in case there's a change of policy and they start charging for going over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 deletebert

I also moved to the 7Mbps line, and have a 40GB limit set. I also rang the same numbers you mentioned and got various levels of "I'm sorry we cannot help you, call this other number" in circles. I tried to complain via email and they said to go back into the phone number spiral of despair (my wording).
    After I demonstrated that their webpage shows 50GB limit and they are setting it at 40GB, one of the phone support people said the webpages (of which there are many) were wrong, the limit should be 40GB and they were in the process of trying to update the webpage. This is most probably tosh, since updating one's webpage takes mere minutes, and the 50GB has been written there for months now.
    It basically feels like they are falsely advertising at this stage.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

deletebert wrote: »
    I also moved to the 7Mbps line, and have a 40GB limit set. I also rang the same numbers you mentioned and got various levels of "I'm sorry we cannot help you, call this other number" in circles. I tried to complain via email and they said to go back into the phone number spiral of despair (my wording).
    After I demonstrated that their webpage shows 50GB limit and they are setting it at 40GB, one of the phone support people said the webpages (of which there are many) were wrong, the limit should be 40GB and they were in the process of trying to update the webpage. This is most probably tosh, since updating one's webpage takes mere minutes, and the 50GB has been written there for months now.
    It basically feels like they are falsely advertising at this stage.

Why all the worrying? They haven't charged up to now and if they do attempt to charge you have all the stuff to prove what they were advertising as a max download.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

you are a sad sad man,give them a break,they dont just have you to deal with they have hundreds of people to deal with everyday and the fact it only says 40 and even if you go over that the dont charge so what is your problem???

sexmag wrote: »
    you are a sad sad man,give them a break,they dont just have you to deal with they have hundreds of people to deal with everyday and the fact it only says 40 and even if you go over that the dont charge so what is your problem???

Why is it all the users with low post counts are utter ****? He's not a "sad, sad man"....we're paying for something that was advertised as 50gb and only getting 40gb. If we go over then Eircom are entitled to charge us more which I personally don't like.

Why is it all the users with low post counts are utter ****? He's not a "sad, sad man"....we're paying for something that was advertised as 50gb and only getting 40gb. If we go over then Eircom are entitled to charge us more which I personally don't like.

the limit is 50 its more than likely a glich but hes called up and theve assured him he wont be charge so whtas the f**king problem and dont call me a wanker,im completly intitled to my opinion and if he didnt want it he shouldnt have put it up here

• Advertisement

the limit is 50 its more than likely a glich but hes called up and theve assured him he wont be charge so whtas the f**king problem and dont call me a wanker,im completly intitled to my opinion and if he didnt want it he shouldnt have put it up here

what are these words: "glich", "theve", "whtas", "completly", "intitled"?? They're not in the English language so I can't reply to your post...what kind of idiot can't spell and posts here?

what are these words: "glich", "theve", "whtas", "completly", "intitled"?? They're not in the English language so I can't reply to your post...what kind of idiot can't spell and posts here?

You know what you are,you are just one of those losers who sits on his computer all day looking to start little internet fights to get your kicks,forget this ttyl

You know what you are,you are just one of those losers who sits on his computer all day looking to start little internet fights to get your kicks,forget this ttyl

You're the one that started hurling abuse by calling people a "sad, sad man".....that's not starting a fight?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

To build up your paper trail on this, also request a copy of the log that the support engineer that you have called has created. Every call has to be logged in detail by the support rep. You are 100% entitled to this log, if you call requesting it and the person on the phone says they cant, request to speak to a supervisor as they will know the policy for definite and ensure that this can be sent to you. Calls are looged primarily for customer use, not the other way around!

Also, as mentioned earlier, the techie on the line is very limited in what they can do, but they should be able to escalate the call if it is outside of thier realm. This would fit into tis catagory.

Advertisement