Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim card life expectancy

• 21-12-2008 1:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

It occurred to me today that I have had the same sim card for over 7 seven years now and looking at it, I wonder how long it has left. Granted its covered up 99.9% of the time, but im guessing that usage over time must have some kind of impact

So, anyone know what the general life expectancy is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Had an english customer into me the last day with a ten year old phone (1999), a sim card from the week before his first-born in 1996 (which he cud have been lying, but he sounded pretty truthful) and a price plan, which i informed him the last day was being charged at 1998 rates. He since called me from the UK and told me he updated his price plan to save him £92 per month.

He said it was the cheapest holiday to Ireland he's ever had. :)
    Goes to show, the equipment will all last, but then again, build quality in 2001 was much better than now in a lot of respects, but then again, on top that, you have to consider that there's no moving parts in a sim, it has little exposure to the elements, and has no electrical parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Had the same sim in the same old Ericsson phone for 7 years! Now, 3 years on I still charge the phone to make sure it's alright: no probs! (btw: it's the original battery as well!!!)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I dont know what it is but I've noticed alot of customers on the vodafone network only-their sim cards just stop reading after a couple of years and whack-all the contacts aren't retrievable, maybe it was a bad batch for a while a few years back and they're all going now or something but I have someone in every day(I mainly only work Saturdays) with "It keeps saying insert sim!" It doesn't really happen with 02/Meteor thats why I say a bad batch on vodafone...

Moral of the story-back up your numbers regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

i got a sim from '99 thats still working. i like the way it still says 'eircell' on the phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Another SIM from 99 - obviously a good year. Still works fine and has been in 100's of phones as while its my main SIM card I tend used to use it, becasue I know its works and I always have it on me, to test phones and modems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Esat Digifone sims are still going strong, must have seen about 5 of them in the last week...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

anyone got one of those old full size card sim cards, I think the sim was sideways in it, i've an old digifone i'd love to get on the air again.....the sim sits in the surround the normal sims come in these days....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Sarn

I've had my Vodafone sim fail on me and it wasn't that old. No idea why, thankfully I only lost a few numbers. Definitely a good idea to back them up from time to time.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,533 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

anyone got one of those old full size card sim cards, I think the sim was sideways in it, i've an old digifone i'd love to get on the air again.....the sim sits in the surround the normal sims come in these days....

AFAIK they wont work anymore. They're not powerful enough. There are a few differemt sim volts which become more powerful dependant on the network. Hence why O2 needed specific 3G sims. Higher power consumption running at 2100mhz (as oppose to the old 'large sim cards that will generally only run at 800mhz).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

antodeco wrote: »
    AFAIK they wont work anymore. They're not powerful enough. There are a few differemt sim volts which become more powerful dependant on the network. Hence why O2 needed specific 3G sims. Higher power consumption running at 2100mhz (as oppose to the old 'large sim cards that will generally only run at 800mhz).

i cut one of those out to fit in an ordinary sim slot and it worked. the sim itself doesnt run at 2100mhz only the carrier signal from the phone

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,533 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

towel401 wrote: »
    i cut one of those out to fit in an ordinary sim slot and it worked. the sim itself doesnt run at 2100mhz only the carrier signal from the phone

Correct, but the older sims are a lower voltage (i want to say 8k, but cant remember). The IMSI range (dependant on the setup of the core network) shouldnt allow certain sims to access various network services ie: wap, mms, long txts.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cat5

The phones that used the full sixe card .. were lucky if they were even sms compatable..When sms started a lot of the early phones could only read an sms and not send... and forget about wap it wasnt even invented at the time.. the sim should work but only for phone calls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

didnt the motorola startak take a full size sim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

it most certainly did. i remember badly wanting a startac, and looking back, they are fierce ugly phones.

Advertisement