Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Douglas Village SC - Tenants?

Options
  • 21-12-2008 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭

Just passing the rebuilt Douglas Village shopping centre & it looks like there is room for a hell of a lot of new shops in there. Anyone know who is going in there? I heard a faint rumour that Marks & Spencers were taking up residence.

The multi-storey car park has ruined the village feel of the place & I would imagine when it's all up & running that there will be even more traffic chaos. It will be interesting to see how the new street going along side the South Ring works out in March. I wonder will the roundabout be re-instated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I do like how at the moment there is that quick route between going from one side of Douglas to the other without having to drive down near Barrys pub if you are coming from the Well Rd area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

This route will be a permanent fixture from March. i.e. It will be set up properly, it was one of the conditions of planning. It will effectively be a new street in Douglas. I reckon it will be quicker to take the West village exit from South Ring to get to Maryborough Hill side of Douglas when it's all done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

It's a massive change from what it once was. I heard those rumours about M&S too alright. I also heard that when they're done with Douglas Village they'll be doing a similar thing to Douglas Court, with is a bit ridiculous IMO, so I hope it's not true.

I think it is only a matter of time before they knock Douglas Court. From a Developers point of view they probably see it as a huge waste of valuable land. Think how much they could fit in there with 3 storeys? The precedence has been set now with Douglas Village SC. Another multi storey car park, more retail units, ideally placed apartments in the heart of Douglas.
    Clayton Love Junoir, Minor & Senior must be licking their lips at the though of it. Heck they might even fit in the hotel they were trying for next to the cinema a few years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

I was getting my hair cut there in the hairdressers in Douglas Village SC, and asked about it. She told me they are indeed in talks with Marks And Spencers, but nothing is confirmed yet. She also told me that Tesco will be going down the back, across the road from the Mills. It's going to be bigger than the Mahon Point Tesco, and have two storeys. Marks And Spencer (or whatever other business they get instead should talks fall through), would then go where Tesco is now, roughly. She also told me there is space for 15 new retail outlets. And she was also told by one of the builders that they're going to start work on Douglas Court when they're done there.

I also heard rumours, from a friend, that there'd be a flyover joining the two. Seems highly unlikely though, and I hope its not true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

How many ****ing shopping centres, - redeveloped or otherwise - does Cork need?

Not even one. I mean it's not really like Douglas and Mahon are that far from town, 15minute bus ride. People are lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I think it is only a matter of time before they knock Douglas Court. From a Developers point of view they probably see it as a huge waste of valuable land. Think how much they could fit in there with 3 storeys? The precedence has been set now with Douglas Village SC. Another multi storey car park, more retail units, ideally placed apartments in the heart of Douglas.
    Clayton Love Junoir, Minor & Senior must be licking their lips at the though of it. Heck they might even fit in the hotel they were trying for next to the cinema a few years ago!

In the current economic climate I find it hard to believe they would do anything like this. Maybe in a few years if things improve but not next year or the year after I would have thought.

Ludo wrote: »
    In the current economic climate I find it hard to believe they would do anything like this. Maybe in a few years if things improve but not next year or the year after I would have though.

The land has been owned by the same owner for a very long time so they are not under the same pressure as other developers. Also labour & materials are probably at their lowest cost in a while.
    I have heard rumours about another off-ramp at Douglas Court too, changes to the shopping centre would be necessary then. However I just checked the Cork City Planning website & there are no applications under "Douglas Court" so maybe it is all a big rumour.

Oh for those interested in Douglas Village (Planning Ref:33058):
    Development Description: alterations to the development previously permitted under planning register reference no. 06/31315, comprising the refurbishment and extension to Douglas Village Shopping Centre, Douglas, Cork. The proposed development consists of 1) eastward relocation of northern entrance aisle through existing retail unit 12, permitted anchor 2 storage and permitted retail unit 81, and consequent westward expansion of existing retail unit 13, sub division of unit 12 to create 2no retail units , extension of anchor 2 storage. 2) Reconfiguration of permitted eastern mall area to extend mall area into existing retail units 2 & permitted adjacent eastern kiosk unit. 3) Extension of anchor 2 into permitted eastern mall / circulation area, part of permitted retail unit 81 and part of permitted anchor 2 storage. 4) Reconfiguration of permitted control room and stairs, part of permitted retail unit 81 to form part of anchor 2 storage. 5) Extension of existing generator rooms southward and westward into permitted northern service yard. 6) Provision of new stairs and lift adjacent to permitted stairs core c in permitted northern service yard. 7) Provision of new mezzanine floor in void over permitted retail unit 81, permitted control room and stairway, northern entrance ramp and northern service yard, to form control rooms and centre management staff facilities including extension northward to create viewing window over ramps. 8) Provision of new mezzanine floor level in void space over part of permitted anchor 2 storage, post office, mall / stairs / toilet / lift, control room and stairs and northern entrance aisle to provide public toilets. 9) Minor southward extension at eastern end of permitted mezzanine, first, second and third floor levels to accommodate reconfigured circulation area at eastern end of permitted mall. 10) Consequent minor elevational alterations. The proposal will increase the gross floor space of the Centre by 1,131.4m2 and increase the retail floor space therein by 402.3m2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i love the new road beside the link,it takes at least 10 minutes off my journey to work in the morning!!and i dont know how they got permission to build that car park there it looks terrible,considering there have have been a few applications to build apartments on the well road and the locals went nuts!!,but a giant block in the middle of douglas is ok?!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The land has been owned by the same owner for a very long time so they are not under the same pressure as other developers. Also labour & materials are probably at their lowest cost in a while.
    I have heard rumours about another off-ramp at Douglas Court too, changes to the shopping centre would be necessary then. However I just checked the Cork City Planning website & there are no applications under "Douglas Court" so maybe it is all a big rumour.

Court might be in the County,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Typically they've now advertised for consultants to come up with traffic management solutions. Shouldn't that have been done before granting planning?
    from e-tenders:
    Short description of the contract or purchase(s)

Douglas Area Traffic & Transportation Study - Brief for engagement of Consulting Engineer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I hope it doesnt ruin the village but I'm not hopefull.

parsi wrote: »
    Court might be in the County,

You are correct, however there are still no major applications relating to Douglas Court. Plenty of minor ones though.

http://213.94.218.86/planningenquiryv3/MainFrames.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Clayton love should be ashamed of himself!
    Class name though

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Class name though

There are three of them:

Clayton Love Junior
    Clayton Love Senior
    Clayton Love Minor

I believe in that order of descending age apparently. One of them bought the Kelly familys' (singers) old house in Marloag too. Class gaff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

<modsnip> content in this quote has been deleted</modsnip>

When you think of it though, it's better for the consumer! Yea it's lousy on the people who own the small places but if i had a choice between going to a small pharmacy or going to a big store like boots i would definitely be going to boots, they are generally cheaper and have loads of special offers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

There are three of them:

Clayton Love Junior
    Clayton Love Senior
    Clayton Love Minor

Any relation to Billy Love who used to own Lady Sue's on Oliver Plunkett Street? Billy was a legend, if you worked in town, he'd only charge you 1 pound for your haircut.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

No new customers have signed up for retail space! FACT

ned78 wrote: »
    Any relation to Billy Love....

I wouldn't know about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

M & S Simply Food was supposed to have a shop there, Tesco vetoed that..bastards :( I love M & S food :( Back in England we had just the food ones everywhere!

Baxtards!

I've heard similar tales of the landlords charging extortionate amounts from businesses there, with no discount or reprise for the time spent doing work there. Bloody disgrace. It's not really fair IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

*Lees* wrote: »
    When you think of it though, it's better for the consumer! Yea it's lousy on the people who own the small places but if i had a choice between going to a small pharmacy or going to a big store like boots i would definitely be going to boots, they are generally cheaper and have loads of special offers!!
    Douglas already has a Boots though, two is overkill! With one of the pharamcies in mind, would be gutted if they went, they're incredibly helpful people, and have a much better selection (and cheaper!) of speciality medical items like eye drops, vitamins, medical mouthwash, acne washes etc than Boots. There's a place for both in my heart :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

<mod> Quotes deleted due to posts being deleted <mod>

troll much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I had a look at the place today, now that Tesco has moved its a fair walk from say Topaz to there. Think about it... its like walking from the door of Bank of Ireland (the new one) to the South County/O'Sullivans, still... if you're driving it doesn't matter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Pop into KCs on the way for energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

dahamsta wrote: »
    Pop into KCs on the way for energy.

HA!!!!
    Tere wouldnt be much left in the aul account!

Is the Library moving back in there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Well with all these shops we should hope to see some substantial evidence of market factors coming into play. Lidl, Aldi and Tescos are ducking it out big time!
    It's great that prices are going down and selection is going up. I found that the choice of stuff in the new Tescos was amazing. They even sell Twiglets! It's a bit too freaking big tho. If you only wanted a few things it's far too much hassle to get in and around that place. Might stick to Dunnes...

Advertisement