Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have never been so ashamed to be Irish

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Hazys wrote: »
    I have never been ashamed to be irish in my life. I just arrived back for Boston this morning for christmass. I used to laugh at the americans for being so pedantic when it came to service in bars etc My attitude was look at those egijjts, just get over it and have a good time.

But i have never been left feeling so angry after a night out. I went out to Havanna Browns in Cork this evening with my buddies which i havent seen in months. But the lights went out in the club. Half the club was pitch dark. I was sitting there in the dark enjoying my pint talking to my friend with only the light off my phone aluminating the area around us. Lights were out still after an hour but the bar was still serving...what a f*cking joke. Nobody seemed to care that this was seriously dangerous, my buddies were still drinking away having the time of their lives.

After an hour of pitch dark i went up to the bouncer to ask why they hadnt cleared people out of the pitch dark areas because if any1 fell the club would be extremely liable. The bouncer made a joke about how the club was trying to reduce its carbon footprint (Im pretty sure this joke would still be that funny if the place had been Stardust2). I was shocked at his response. The club didnt give a sh1t as long as it was making money and the customers didnt give a sh1t as long we were getting served. Are we that dependent on alcohol that we dont care if our safety is being threaten in the persuit of getting hammered?

I got pissed of and went downstairs to demand a refund, i got my 15 euro back(the most expensive night club in boston is $15). So i went to find a Garda to complain about it. It took me 45 mins to find a Garda on the streets of Cork city on one of the busiest drinking nights of the year. I found two Gardai outside the coal quay on their way to the bridewell station, explained the situation to them, they said they'd get on it right away after they went into the station to fill out some paperwork. W*nkers completely blew me off, didnt give a sh1t. Whats amazing is last year my best friend's brother, a 1st class primary school teacher was jumped from behind on MacCurtain street and beaten within an inch of his life 3 days before christmass. The only thing that saved him was his girlfriend screaming as the scumbag jumped on his head. On MacCurtain street not a garda in sight!!!! The Gardai are dicks.

After the Gardai blew me off I went to Hillbillies to get food. Got my food, crossed the road to eat it in a bus stop. As i was eating, outside hillbillies a fight broke out. What i could see from across the road was a guy's girlfriend trying to stop him from fighting, ending up ur1 getting slapped to the ground by her boyfriend for getting in the way. Eventually friends stopped the fight and ur1 and the boyfriend hopped in to a taxi together! Again not a Garda in sight

Im not trying to come across as holyier than thou, as i like to go on the piss just like every1 else. I normally wouldnt even complain about service in a restaurant or a bar but what i witnessed in Havannas was a disgrace. I was talking about how it was a disgrace to my friends, they were agreeing but really didnt care as long as they had a pint in their hands, just like every1 else in the club. At least i know in Boston this wouldnt happen as their is generally a police pressence in most clubs every odd week and also americans wouldnt stand for it. But are we so reliant on getting hammered that we dont give a sh1t about anything else? Are the same people who complain about getting ripped off in Ireland sitting in a pitch dark night club paying for drinks and admission that are way more expensive than the top notch nightclubs in Boston and other cities?
    That awful place (the Cork Coppers) is a giant sardine can and there is no regard for safety or comfort by the money-grabbing freak owners, and the bouncers are extraordinarily obnoxious... but really, what's that got to do with being Irish and why should it make you feel ashamed of your Irishness? There are assholes everywhere. Ok, the standard of customer service in general here may not be on a par with that in the US, but this country is hardly alone on that score. And it still doesn't mean there is shame in being Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

In Germany you dont get the shoite kicked out of you after midnight in big cities after a few jars (of vastly superior beer), you can then hop onto a very efficent train without the fear of getting killed on the way home.
    Nor is this the case with Ireland. Our violent crime rate is not especially high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

That's not Ireland. It's only Cork. (and I capitalise out of respect)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I can honestly say I've never paid €15 into Havana's. In fact my ex was working there for a bit and she offered me passes and then said "But I don't know why you'd want to be there.."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

OP, If I thought this country was full of people like you then Id be ashamed to be Irish too, you need to move to the continent,or just go back to America. Theres nothing more ignorant than people coming back from being away and reminding us of everything thats wrong with the country (and yes I have lived in different countries).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Cork is not as big as Dublin. I walked down Washington Street then over to HillBillies then down Patricks street then back up Patricks street into the Coal Quay where i found 2 Gardai. I also walkied back past HillBillies got food, headed down the South Mall to get a taxi saw no Gardai. The only place i missed out was MacCurtain street maybe thats where they all were??

Cork is small & I partically walked the whole City and saw only 2 Gardai. I dont think this information about the lack of Gardai in Cork on nights out is a shocker to Cork people.

If i could take back comparing Cork to Boston or any other city I think i would have saved this thread a couple of pages

Maybe the Gardaí were a few steps ahead of you, or maybe they were dealing with actual crimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Kinda feel sory for the original poster now. He commented on a few things he found sad to see about Ireland lately and now we are all telling him to fook back to Boston, me included. ha ha . I'll stick up for original poster cos he needs someone on his side, although I dont actuallly agree with him that Ireland is that bad. I'll just stick up for him in the hope that he tracks me down some of the good "everclear" vodka, next time he goes back to Boston. Last bottle of it I had blew the nuts off me, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Did you try turning down your hearing aid???

This was in a pub, when I head out for a few I prefer to be able to chat to mates, but ye maybe I am getting too old, the days of being **** faced by 10 and having to shout so the person next to me can hear are past me. Thats what clubs are for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Hub

I have never been ashamed to be irish in my life. I just arrived back for Boston this morning for christmass. I used to laugh at the americans for being so pedantic when it came to service in bars etc My attitude was look at those egijjts, just get over it and have a good time.

But i have never been left feeling so angry after a night out. I went out to Havanna Browns in Cork this evening with my buddies which i havent seen in months. But the lights went out in the club. Half the club was pitch dark. I was sitting there in the dark enjoying my pint talking to my friend with only the light off my phone aluminating the area around us. Lights were out still after an hour but the bar was still serving...what a f*cking joke. Nobody seemed to care that this was seriously dangerous, my buddies were still drinking away having the time of their lives.

After an hour of pitch dark i went up to the bouncer to ask why they hadnt cleared people out of the pitch dark areas because if any1 fell the club would be extremely liable. The bouncer made a joke about how the club was trying to reduce its carbon footprint (Im pretty sure this joke would still be that funny if the place had been Stardust2). I was shocked at his response. The club didnt give a sh1t as long as it was making money and the customers didnt give a sh1t as long we were getting served. Are we that dependent on alcohol that we dont care if our safety is being threaten in the persuit of getting hammered?

I got pissed of and went downstairs to demand a refund, i got my 15 euro back(the most expensive night club in boston is $15). So i went to find a Garda to complain about it. It took me 45 mins to find a Garda on the streets of Cork city on one of the busiest drinking nights of the year. I found two Gardai outside the coal quay on their way to the bridewell station, explained the situation to them, they said they'd get on it right away after they went into the station to fill out some paperwork. W*nkers completely blew me off, didnt give a sh1t. Whats amazing is last year my best friend's brother, a 1st class primary school teacher was jumped from behind on MacCurtain street and beaten within an inch of his life 3 days before christmass. The only thing that saved him was his girlfriend screaming as the scumbag jumped on his head. On MacCurtain street not a garda in sight!!!! The Gardai are dicks.

After the Gardai blew me off I went to Hillbillies to get food. Got my food, crossed the road to eat it in a bus stop. As i was eating, outside hillbillies a fight broke out. What i could see from across the road was a guy's girlfriend trying to stop him from fighting, ending up ur1 getting slapped to the ground by her boyfriend for getting in the way. Eventually friends stopped the fight and ur1 and the boyfriend hopped in to a taxi together! Again not a Garda in sight

Im not trying to come across as holyier than thou, as i like to go on the piss just like every1 else. I normally wouldnt even complain about service in a restaurant or a bar but what i witnessed in Havannas was a disgrace. I was talking about how it was a disgrace to my friends, they were agreeing but really didnt care as long as they had a pint in their hands, just like every1 else in the club. At least i know in Boston this wouldnt happen as their is generally a police pressence in most clubs every odd week and also americans wouldnt stand for it. But are we so reliant on getting hammered that we dont give a sh1t about anything else? Are the same people who complain about getting ripped off in Ireland sitting in a pitch dark night club paying for drinks and admission that are way more expensive than the top notch nightclubs in Boston and other cities?

Jesus Christ, who let Ned Flanders register?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Húrin wrote: »
    Nor is this the case with Ireland. Our violent crime rate is not especially high.

He forgot to say that they're required to carry ID in Germany(or am I wrong about this). Imagine implementing that here, everyone would whinge that they were being spied on etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

the gardai cant be at every place at once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

nipplenuts wrote: »
    That's not Ireland. It's only Cork. (and I capitalise out of respect)
    And love. Don't forget love... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

In fairness, the place is a bit of a ****ehole.

He forgot to say that they're required to carry ID in Germany(or am I wrong about this). Imagine implementing that here, everyone would whinge that they were being spied on etc

Too right

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Jesus calm down the lot of ye.

Bloody stink of too much Irish pride on this thread!

Phew!
    Its not about irish pride(even though i love bread) its about bitching about something useless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

This thread should be renamed Fianna Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RoMiLe

Are we that dependent on alcohol that we dont care if our safety is being threaten in the persuit of getting hammered?

You ask this question as if you don't know the answer. I mean, seriously, how long have you been going out drinking in this country?

The majority of Irish working-class society revolves around getting drunk. So what's new?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

grammer
    Grammar:p
    Darragh29 wrote: »
    Doubt it very much. Health & safety world is the last refuge of the absolute idiot imo. It's that little place people go to when they want to win an argument, "Oh, health & safety this and health and safety that and you are in extreme danger and watch out you are at extreme f*cking risk, look you're on fire! Who is going to pay, who will we sue??? Are we insured, can I claim??? Get Joe Duffy on the phone, someone call, f*CK, HELP, HELP, I've nobody to sue, call the Gardai, I want to make a written statement, I'm goona f*CKIN SUE YOU AND YOUR MONKEY"......................................................................................................

"F*CK OFF"!
    A rare occasion where we can agree!
    I wasnt critizing their country, i was critizing my own city and country.

Obviously i went around it the wrong way and i let the idiots avoid the points i was trying to make and let them make their own agenda
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

ninty9er wrote: »
    Grammar:p
    A rare occasion where we can agree!

:rolleyes:

Go back to Boston , I'm changing American Hardgums to Freedom Hardgums as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

Get over I love Boston over Ireland BS.(Although i can see now the morning after how i could be precieved as a wannabe U-S-A chanter). The point i was trying to make was comparing the situation in Ireland to another country, since i have only lived in Boston its the only one place i can compare to. I dont think people in many coutries would have stood for some of that sh1t last night. If we dont compare our drinking habbits and general safety to other countries we might just think its normal and acceptable. Of course every other city has their problems but all the problems last night stemmed from our obsession with drink.

For the people who dont want to believe this country is obsessed with drink, the government raises the price of drink, we still buy it at the same quantities, the service is sh1t in a bar, we still queue...etc Id say crack addicts are more picky.

45 mins on the street looking a garda no matter if you think my crusade was worth it or not, is a disgrace.

Seeing a girl trying to stop her boyfriend from stopping a fight getting slapped down to the ground by him, outside the main night time area, not a Garda in sight, is a disgrace

Cork is a very unsafe place to be on nights out. Tru the years, I have had a few close calls for walking down the wrong street looking for a taxi, but i have been lucky. Id say a fight a night after a Sat nite in Cork is not a far fetched statistic. Yes am I am ashamed to be Irish if i worry for the safety of my 20 year old brother when he goes on nightouts in Cork especially after what happened to my friends brother and i guess im not the only one who knows somebody with a similar story.

Hey OP!

Where do you go out in Boston that is so safe? Try Roxy, Quincy or Mattapan or even by the Celtics stadium (is it still the fleet centre). You'll get healthy doses of street based domestic violence too. I felt safe enough in Boston but have seen people getting the **** kicked out of them on the common and on street in Chinatown. I love Boston; it's one of best places I've been but to think that it is safer than Cork is just naive. In Cork you have maybe two or three areas where people gather; Patrick’s St by Guinness house, the fountain and the court house. There are always going to be fights in areas where drunken people congregate. I am not excusing the behaviour of people in Cork but it goes on everywhere.

I Live in Sydney and there are cops (with guns) everywhere but still George St (the main street) between World Square and Town hall (one city block) is both one of the most popular areas and one of the most dangerous areas.

You went and told a guard on the street that the lights went out in Havana brown. Do know how many people give the guards **** in the wee hours? Why would they take you seriously? You're just another drunken langer. Did you complain to the guards the next day? To say that you searched the streets of cork for 45 minutes and couldn't find a cop anywhere would suggest that you were pissed. From Havana’s to the Bridewell is about a 5 min walk or Anglesey St about 10 mins. You also had your phone to call the Guards but no. You stormed around the street looking for someone to whinge to. Still nobody would listen so you come on here because you're point need to be heard. Also calling what you did a "crusade"... cnut!

When you go back to Boston open your eyes. It is a great city but it is far from perfect. http://www.universalhub.com/crime/home.html

Also try and think of some reasons to be proud to be Irish. If you can’t, maybe the problem is with you.

j

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You are.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Get over yourself OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    You are.

Googling suggests otherwise

311 wrote: »

Why, this is probably the first time they've been mentioned on the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

311 wrote: »
    colly10 wrote: »
    Why, this is probably the first time they've been mentioned on the thread

In fairness the initial post by the OP does cite a lot of people feeling around in the dark, heavily relying on alcohol, and turning a blind eye to rule breaking, whilst simultaneaously all not having a clue what the hell is going on!!!

Remind you of anyone/group in particular????!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

wylo wrote: »
    OP, If I thought this country was full of people like you then Id be ashamed to be Irish too, you need to move to the continent,or just go back to America. Theres nothing more ignorant than people coming back from being away and reminding us of everything thats wrong with the country (and yes I have lived in different countries).

I'm only windin' ya up, I agree with ya, nothin more annoying than being in a pub and not being able to have a decent conversation with your mates...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Jesus christ, i've never regretted reading a thread this much in my life. I'm never reading a post from that hazyes one ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SpookyDoll

Op, you are just suffering from "emigrant syndrome"

Symptoms include:
    • All your sentances will begin "in Boston*.....bla bla bla....."(everything after the words in Boston will be automatically tuned out by the listener)
    • You will be full of righteous indignation over every trivial dissappointment, sh1t piece of service, rank ignorance and rip-offness that you encounter for the first 24-48 hours of your trip
    • After that you will fall into a similar torpor of apathy as the natives as you realise the pervasive corruption and routine a$$ raping of the citizens is impossible to fight, indeed to raise your head above the parapet and complain will evoke deserved ridicule and contempt.
    • One of your favourite subjects will be the futility of the drinking culture that holds us all oppressed/drunk/hungover and how this is to blame for the apathy that....bla bla bla (see above)
    Emigrant syndrome is indeed a terrible malady resulting in ostracisation of the sufferer by his/her former friends due to ear and brain damage!

The only cure is for the sufferer to return to the new country and leave the drunk apathetic unenlightened savages to their pints....in the dark.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

OP, if you hate Ireland so much then leave, but don't be giving out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

SpookyDoll wrote: »
    Op, you are just suffering from "emigrant syndrome"

Symptoms include:
    • All your sentances will begin "in Boston*.....bla bla bla....."(everything after the words in Boston will be automatically tuned out by the listener)
    • You will be full of righteous indignation over every trivial dissappointment, sh1t piece of service, rank ignorance and rip-offness that you encounter for the first 24-48 hours of your trip
    • After that you will fall into a similar torpor of apathy as the natives as you realise the pervasive corruption and routine a$$ raping of the citizens is impossible to fight, indeed to raise your head above the parapet and complain will evoke deserved ridicule and contempt.
    • One of your favourite subjects will be the futility of the drinking culture that holds us all oppressed/drunk/hungover and how this is to blame for the apathy that....bla bla bla (see above)
    Emigrant syndrome is indeed a terrible malady resulting in ostracisation of the sufferer by his/her former friends due to ear and brain damage!

The only cure is for the sufferer to return to the new country and leave the drunk apathetic unenlightened savages to their pints....in the dark.

Thank you.

It used be "In London...". Didn't make it any better.

Advertisement