Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Upgrade Eligibility Revoked

Options
  • 21-12-2008 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭

Just asking the knowledgeable folk here for their feeling on my predicament.

Was told by Vodafone approx 8 weeks ago that I was entitled to an upgrade. I confirmed this on the Vodafone site. Grand job. Went in yesterday to the store and they told me that I was not eligible. Now I was pissed. Rang Vodafone and when I questioned the first line rep, she put me on hold for quite a while. A Supervisor returned. Not good. She explained that although there was approval for the upgrade recently, the system has since changed, and the option was now gone !

I didn't lose the rag at any time ( god only knows how ) ........

She told me that the window of opportunity has lapsed ! Thats news to me on an upgrade ! Surely this is not acceptable ??? Or are they well within their rights to implement these changes without any notification whatsoever ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'd be bloody annoyed too, but at the end of the day the upgrade offers are them being "nice". We've got very used to expecting them, and nearly consider them as our rights now, but they're not.

It's the same as if a shop had a 2-day sale - if you go there on day 3, the stuff will be more expensive. Now, I know they didn't tell you that there was a window, but I doubt they have any obligations in this area.

What you might be able to do is mention to them that if you change to O2 you'd get that phone for 50p or whatever, and see if they have any discretion to offer you a lower priced phone. Before you do that, ask yourself are you prepared to change provider over this in case they call your bluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Thoie wrote: »
    I'd be bloody annoyed too, but at the end of the day the upgrade offers are them being "nice". We've got very used to expecting them, and nearly consider them as our rights now, but they're not.

It's the same as if a shop had a 2-day sale - if you go there on day 3, the stuff will be more expensive. Now, I know they didn't tell you that there was a window, but I doubt they have any obligations in this area.

What you might be able to do is mention to them that if you change to O2 you'd get that phone for 50p or whatever, and see if they have any discretion to offer you a lower priced phone. Before you do that, ask yourself are you prepared to change provider over this in case they call your bluff.

My fear exactly Thoie, they are still the best provider in my eyes, particularly with free 087 - 087 calls ( which accounts for 80% of my phonebook. ) - Still damn annoying though :mad:

Thanks for your input:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

change network as that is no way to reward customer loyalty! give someone else your money and see how long it takes them to phone asking you to return to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

How long have you been with Vodafone?
    my dad had a similar problem, he wasnt allowed an upgrade, even thought he was on a high tariff and had waited 12 months,after a long time of Customer Service, internets and going into shops they allowed him the upgrade -he was with Vodafone since the very beginning, so they considered him to be a "valued customer"
    He almost befriended one of the guys in Customer Service before that happened

Also, i remember reading here a while ago that O2 did the same thing, raised the price that you had to pay before you could upgrade (and there was issues about people mid-upgrading etc etc), there was holy war waged on them and they dropped it.. eventually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

O2 have indeed done this in the past few months, i was entitled to a gold and they revoked all upgrades across the board regardless of how much you spend. They also stuck the price of all mobiles up in the meantime. Basically the mobile firms are a cartel like all the other services in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

foggy_lad wrote: »
    change network as that is no way to reward customer loyalty! give someone else your money and see how long it takes them to phone asking you to return to them!

Except they wont, most of the networks have clamped down on overriding upgrades in a big way

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Change network. You will get a phone cheaper than the usual cost of an upgrade for a first time connection anyway. Also the best way to register your dissatisfaction with a company- don't give them a penny more than you have to.

Thanks for the input folks. The general consesus is to change network. I agree this is the best way to express my dissatisfaction with them but I would be "biting off my nose to spite my face" I think.

Once again, input is greatly appreciated folks.

After more calls to Vodafone, I'm nowhere nearer a change of heart on their part. It appears that the main reason for the change is because Vodafone feel that their Cust. Svce. Agents were getting bullied into approving upgrades to customers who were not entitled to them and now that facility has been removed. Fine if that was the case, I say. But at least honour the upgrades which were promised prior to moving the goalposts.

As previously stated, with the majority of my contacts on 087, I'd most likely be down shillings at the end of the month if I do change to O2 for example but I will definitely have a good look at competitors price plans prior to making a final decision.

No issues with Voda up to this point but this has got my hair up. My yearly spend with them is approx €1200 and I have been with them for 10yrs. Loyalty to the customer ???????? Boll*x. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

What shop did you go into, as I have found if I am not quite eligible for an upgrade but go into the Vodafone store, as opposed to CPW, I am more likely to get it, as they have access to my account via their system.

dodzy wrote: »
    Thanks for the input folks. The general consesus is to change network. I agree this is the best way to express my dissatisfaction with them but I would be "biting off my nose to spite my face" I think.

Once again, input is greatly appreciated folks.

After more calls to Vodafone, I'm nowhere nearer a change of heart on their part. It appears that the main reason for the change is because Vodafone feel that their Cust. Svce. Agents were getting bullied into approving upgrades to customers who were not entitled to them and now that facility has been removed. Fine if that was the case, I say. But at least honour the upgrades which were promised prior to moving the goalposts.

As previously stated, with the majority of my contacts on 087, I'd most likely be down shillings at the end of the month if I do change to O2 for example but I will definitely have a good look at competitors price plans prior to making a final decision.

No issues with Voda up to this point but this has got my hair up. My yearly spend with them is approx €1200 and I have been with them for 10yrs. Loyalty to the customer ???????? Boll*x. :mad:

Trust me, it is not cutting your nose off to spite your face.

First time connections are more valuable to networks that upgrades for some reason, so generally your phone will be cheaper for a first time conection. All you have to do to hop networks is to walk into a phone shop with a bill within the last 3 months and passport/ drivers license and if you get a good assistant the whole thing should be sorted in 20 minutes or so.

I used to work in the industry so I should know. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

It's the same across the board. An uncle of mine on O2 was due an upgrade and it was revoked. He was pissed. Not one to let these things go, he went as far as lodging a complaint with the regulator but ultimately there was nothing he could do. The networks are allowed to do this if they want. If you are truly not happy I would say switch to a different network. In these times going to a competitor is more likely to get companies to stand up and listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

You say you are paying €100 a month and 80% of your calls are to other Vodafone customers. If you changed to Vodafone ready to go and topped up by €20 a month you could avail of free calls and texts to all your vodafone contacts. Could be much cheaper.

Not directed at the OP but at this thread in general, why do people have such a sense of entitlment to an upgrade?

sunnyside wrote: »
    You say you are paying €100 a month and 80% of your calls are to other Vodafone customers. If you changed to Vodafone ready to go and topped up by €20 a month you could avail of free calls and texts to all your vodafone contacts. Could be much cheaper.
    Cheers SS. I'll definitely have to look at this as an option.
    Not directed at the OP but at this thread in general, why do people have such a sense of entitlment to an upgrade?
    I think that it has been up to this point highly advertised by Cust Svce Agents that the general rule was a yearly upgrade entitlement and that this could be acquired in half the time if you had a decent monthly spend level. At least I know that has been the case in my situation.

Just as a matter of interest, what is the general consensus on o2 service within the greater dublin area ? Pretty consistent or what ? I've never had issues with Voda signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Just asking the knowledgeable folk here for their feeling on my predicament.

Was told by Vodafone approx 8 weeks ago that I was entitled to an upgrade. I confirmed this on the Vodafone site. Grand job. Went in yesterday to the store and they told me that I was not eligible. Now I was pissed. Rang Vodafone and when I questioned the first line rep, she put me on hold for quite a while. A Supervisor returned. Not good. She explained that although there was approval for the upgrade recently, the system has since changed, and the option was now gone !

I didn't lose the rag at any time ( god only knows how ) ........

She told me that the window of opportunity has lapsed ! Thats news to me on an upgrade ! Surely this is not acceptable ??? Or are they well within their rights to implement these changes without any notification whatsoever ?

Move your number to ready to go-sign upto free vodafone calls and texts tope up by 20e, and then sign back up a few days later.... I know its a round about way but it still works:):)

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Move your number to ready to go-sign upto free vodafone calls and texts tope up by 20e, and then sign back up a few days later.... I know its a round about way but it still works:):)

you need to be off billpay for at least 60 days before you can be classed as a new connection so it wont, it is a way around it though, top up for 2 months then come back with a much cheaper offer on a phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

krudler wrote: »
    you need to be off billpay for at least 60 days before you can be classed as a new connection so it wont, it is a way around it though, top up for 2 months then come back with a much cheaper offer on a phone

It worked for me last week so:p ah no only messing, it did work but maybe that was only fluke? OP send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Ah-Watch wrote: »

Nope, i'm afraid it doesn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

My fear exactly Thoie, they are still the best provider in my eyes, particularly with free 087 - 087 calls ( which accounts for 80% of my phonebook. ) - Still damn annoying though :mad:

Thanks for your input:)

You might have free Vodafone - Vodafone calls but you dont have free 087 - 087 calls. How would you know if 80% of your phonebook is Vodafone? 80% 087 numbers doesn't meant 80% Vodafone customers? And you bill suggests your getting fewer free calls than you think. I'd be gone in the morning, they are tools! I get an upgrade every 11 months regardless of spend.

I'm 087 and I've been with o2 & 3 since leaving Vodafone, and I wont be going back.

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    You might have free Vodafone - Vodafone calls but you dont have free 087 - 087 calls. How would you know if 80% of your phonebook is Vodafone? 80% 087 numbers doesn't meant 80% Vodafone customers? And you bill suggests your getting fewer free calls than you think. I'd be gone in the morning, they are tools! I get an upgrade every 11 months regardless of spend.

Not anymore if you're on O2 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MFeehan

Out of that €1200 how much do you think went on running the network for the calls and texts that you made/sent?

How much do most people pay for upgrades?

I'll answer, anything from nothing at all to 2/3 hundred euro. This is because all phones(pay as you go/billpay) are heavily subsidised. A phone costing €49 form a mobile operator may cost up to €500 direct from the manufacturer.

Do you not think that you have already gotten your money's worth?

• Advertisement

MFeehan wrote: »
    Out of that €1200 how much do you think went on running the network for the calls and texts that you made/sent?

I'll answer, anything from nothing at all to 2/3 hundred euro. This is because all phones(pay as you go/billpay) are heavily subsidised. A phone costing €49 form a mobile operator may cost up to €500 direct from the manufacturer.

In a word, NO. I agree that the handsets are subsidized but not to the tune you indicate. Combined with the fact that our package rates are incomparable with out neighbours. Anyway, just checked online tonight and guess what ...... I am entitled to an upgrade AGAIN ! Just rang, got the guys name, time of call etc;

Let's hope it remains this time;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

This is because all phones(pay as you go/billpay) are heavily subsidised. A phone costing €49 form a mobile operator may cost up to €500 direct from the manufacturer.
    I'd agree that some phones especially ones with new technology are more expensive, but phones are still quite cheap to make! Its not like o2 or Vodafone are going to go broke anytime soon!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

To a certain extent it might depend on who you're talking to on vodafone. I was in a similar situation with O2 last year; they offered me an upgrade but when in the store I was told that the upgrade was step down from the one I offered. I had a friendly chat with somebody from O2 who sorted it out, but at first they really didn't want to help.

perhaps they're being more strict these days?

preilly79 wrote: »
    perhaps they're being more strict these days?

Correct.

Upgrade approval was in the hands of the first line Customer Service Agents, basically the person you will speak to first after you dial 1907. A general rule of thumb was a yearly upgrade entitlement but this was a very grey area. In reality, you could ring up after 6mths and argue that you had spent x amount with them and in some cases the agent would fold and approve the upgrade there and then. This was obviously flagged to the powers that be and this priviledge has now been withdrawn.

When you ring now to enquire, the system will tell them YES or NO. Its as simple as that, and no amount of arguing is likely to change this it would seem. And as a previous poster has indicated, similar systems are now in place with other providers:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The customer pays off the subsidy over the course of a contract. So, even if you do get a 500 euro phone for 49 you'll still be paying off the difference over the 12-18 months. The cost is built into the contract. Not sure if it's the same here, but in the UK the operators are obliged to tell you how much of the subsidy is left should you want to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

My yearly spend with them is approx €1200 and I have been with them for 10yrs. Loyalty to the customer ???????? Boll*x. :mad:

:rolleyes: People always exaggerate this greatly. I've heard it so many times and seen enough evidence to counter in most cases, not necessarily with VF but...if you did spend that much you'd have an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Mr. Frost wrote: »
    :rolleyes: People always exaggerate this greatly. I've heard it so many times and seen enough evidence to counter in most cases, not necessarily with VF but...if you did spend that much you'd have an upgrade.

I don't know why you're doubting this. €1200 is only an average of 100 euro a month. While it would be very high for me, I know several people that go past that in the course of a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 audrey hepburn

move to meteor, im with them 3 years and have had no problems at all.

http://meteor.ie/plans/bill_pay/latest_offers/free_talk_free_text/

Mr. Frost wrote: »

Exaggeration ?

€100 p/m * 12 = ??????

Easily done, believe meb:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement