Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal v Liverpool

• 21-12-2008 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Big enough for a stand alone thread.

Arsenal better at home, Liverpool better away. Both teams have misfiring elements Liverpool at the front, Arsenal in the middle and are consistently inconsistent.

Arsenal (from): Almunia, Sagna, Nasri, Gallas, Djourou, Clichy, Denilson, Fabregas, Song, Diaby, Wilshere, Eboue, Fabianski, Vela, Ramsey, Van Persie, Adebayor, Bendtner.

Liverpool (from): Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Agger, Dossena, Aurelio, Babel, Benayoun, Gerrard, Mascherano, Lucas, Alonso, Riera, Kuyt, Keane, Ngog, Cavalieri, Insua, El Zhar.

Early team news from Liverpool suggets Masch is out with flu which is a worry, Rafa is himself a doubt with kidney stones.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Is Keane playing ?

mike65 wrote: »

Early team news from Liverpool suggets Masch is out with flu which is a worry, Rafa is himself a doubt with kidney stones.

Masch :( , o dear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

If we can get even an hour out of Masch he has to start, he would dominate the Arsenal midfield and ensure Fabregas doesnt control the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Melion wrote: »
    If we can get even an hour out of Masch he has to start, he would dominate the Arsenal midfield and ensure Fabregas doesnt control the game

Knowing Masch, If theres any way he can play, he'll play. However, if he does have the flu, he shouldnt play. You can barely get out of bed if you have the flu, never mind dominate the midfield. I'd say we will see Lucas and Alonso with Gerrard off Keane or Kuyt for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Would be delighted with a draw tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Big game for both sides. Arsenal will probably perform, they seem to turn it up against the big sides. Liverpool have gotten points in big games so far this season, plus they've looked better away from home. Should make for an interesting game, I'm calling a score draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Im expecting a close match but hopefully the pool can get the win!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Would be delighted with a draw tbh.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

This will be a cracker.

No Mascherano is huge. If he doesn't play, can see Arsenal winning well. If he does, Liverpool to nick it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

I think Liverpool win, I think we have the quality when we actually perform and we will step it up for this match. I think Arsenal will go through a spell in this match where they have all of the ball and we don't get near them but im hoping we can hold them out till it dies down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

No Mascherano is heart breaking. The centre of midfield is the one area where you can genuinely say that we far superior and to loose a player of his calibre is a disaster. I am worried that he may go 4-4-2 as a result of this :|

I will be quite satisfied with a draw...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Would be delighted if Masch is out. Him against Song and/or Denilson is not pleasant.

Nasri should be back for Arsenal which is another big plus. Kolo is out so it should be JD and Gallas at the back which has worked out a good partnership in the past.

As for the result, cant really call it. Hopefully an Arsenal win but a boring draw wouldnt surprise me in the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

im predicting Babel to score from the bench. Consistently great against the big teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

What time is K.O.?
    An early goal should make for an exciting game.

ajeffares wrote: »
    What time is K.O.?
    An early goal should make for an exciting game.

A ceathair a chlog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

At this stage, and It's a testament to Liverpools position this season, I'd like an Arsenal win. While you can never write Arsenal off totally, I think they are in transition.

Also I really really want a non top 4 team to get into the CL, don't care who it is once somebody does (once its not at the expense of United :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    im predicting Babel to score from the bench.

Surely the ref would disallow it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I reckon Liverpool will take Arsenal today, unfortantely

PHB wrote: »
    At this stage, and It's a testament to Liverpools position this season, I'd like an Arsenal win. quote]

Me too. I am a wannabe Gooner today.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Surely the ref would disallow it?

I'm surprised he thinks Rafa will let Babel come on the pitch:eek:

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »
    A ceathair a chlog.

And what channel(s)?

ajeffares wrote: »
    And what channel(s)?

Sky Sports 1 or http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=27017&part=sports

Go raibh maith agat

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

a draw and Villa to be 3 points clear of Arsenal before they play on St Stephens day.

both these teams have beaten Man Utd and Chelsea despite not always playing their best stuff this season I honestly think that this will be too big a game for either side to concede defeat in and that they will raise their games.

Although tbh if Mascherano is playing I wouldent be shocked if Liverpool sneak a win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

I can't see Liverpool getting anything from this game. Their form has been poor and they have no Torres or Mascherano...and the ongoing Keane/Babel fiascos can't help either. 2-0 to the Arse.

Keane starts say Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

1-1 draw me thinks, Arsenal to grab a early goal and Liverpool to equalise late.
    I'm gonna go with Fabregas to open and Gerrard to score the equalier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Ardent wrote: »
    I can't see Liverpool getting anything from this game. Their form has been poor and they have no Torres or Mascherano...and the ongoing Keane/Babel fiascos can't help either. 2-0 to the Arse.

The problem is you could say that about 4 of the big games this season. United were expected to get something against a pool without Gerrard or Torres and against an Arsenal that were in tatters at the time. You could have expected Chelsea to beat both aswell. Never seems to be the obvious result this season...

ShooterSF wrote: »
    The problem is you could say that about 4 of the big games this season. United were expected to get something against a pool without Gerrard or Torres and against an Arsenal that were in tatters at the time. You could have expected Chelsea to beat both aswell. Never seems to be the obvious result this season...

It's not having Mascherano though. He is the biggest player yous could have lost for this game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

LFC confirmed.

Reina
    Arbeloa-Carra-Agger-Insua
    Lucas-Alonso
    Kuyt
    Gerrard----Riera
    Keane

Arsenal's team is

Almunia
    Sagna-Gallas-Djourou-Clichy
    Denilson-Song-Fabregas-Nasri
    Van Persie
    Adebayor

Or something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

From Sky Sports:

Reina, Arebloa, Carragher, Agger, Insua, Alonso, Lucas, Gerrard, Reira, Kuyt, Keane

Insus is a surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

rosboy wrote: »
    From Sky Sports:

Reina, Arebloa, Carragher, Agger, Insua, Alonso, Lucas, Gerrard, Kuyt, Keane

Insus is a surprise.

So, is that fantasyrafa or fantasysammy?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

From Sky Sports:

Insus is a surprise.

Not really, ive never seen him have a bad game. And remember, Benitez threw Plessis in at the Emirates last year too. Aurelio isnt fit and Dossena isnt good enough so far this season so ive no problem with Insua in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

As mentioned The Reds XI in full is: Reina, Arbeloa, Agger, Carragher, Insua, Riera, Kuyt, Lucas, Alonso, Gerrard, Keane.

Subs: Cavalieri, Plessis, Babel, El Zhar, Hyypia, Ngog, Benayoun.

From Sky Sports:

Insus is a surprise.

A ten man team to face the mighty gunners. Brave lads.

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    So, is that fantasyrafa or fantasysammy?

If it's a winning fantasy who cares:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They'd both pick 11 I think :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Hmm - fairly weak Liverpool team to be honest...definitely lacking pace in attack & Mascherano is a big loss. Big test for Lucas, Insua & Keane today. Fingers crossed.

SantryRed wrote: »
    It's not having Mascherano though. He is the biggest player yous could have lost for this game.

Im a united supporter ;) But he is a big name then so is Gerrard. Just think its very hard to call these games.

Good to see Keane in there, hopefully he can score today, particularly with Arsenal's rubbish defence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

well thats an exageration, he is actualy quite small..smallest in the starting 11 for the pool i think...well how come its funny if gordon strachan says it but not me??

any direct links guys?? that p2p thing wont work for me on my lappie.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Im a united supporter ;) But he is a big name then so is Gerrard. Just think its very hard to call these games.

Oh right:pac:

Well not having Mascherano, the player who protects there back four at a place like Arsenal where there's no doubt there going to come at Liverpool is a huge blow! I fully expect Arsenal to win this game today now.

A ten man team to face the mighty gunners. Brave lads.

Not really. On a his worst day, Kuyt is worth two mere mortals.

honesty of effort and all that

Oh right:pac:

Well not having Mascherano, the player who protects there back four at a place like Arsenal where there's no doubt there going to come at Liverpool is a huge blow! I fully expect Arsenal to win this game today now.

He is an important player and with the line ups i'd say Arsenal are slight favourites but I wouldn't be putting my house on it is what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Arsenal are gonna take this one down.

I think my money is on Arsenal because of pool missing Mach and Torres, but Ill be routing for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Tusky wrote: »
    Hmm - fairly weak Liverpool team to be honest...definitely lacking pace in attack & Mascherano is a big loss. Big test for Lucas, Insua & Keane today. Fingers crossed.

Couldn't disagree more. Lucas has looked good in his recent appearances, Insua > Dosser, and Keane is Keane. Like the look of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Expecting Arsenal to perform and to get a result here, Pool are shorn of real quality so a draw will be a good result for them, hard to call but hope at least game will excite rather then bore the neutral.

Anyone else think Liverpool's red shorts look a bit odd with them grey shirts ?

EDIT: Sky seemingly do to.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement