Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal v Liverpool

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ardent wrote: »
    LuckyLloyd - there's another side to the coin. Last season, when Benitez's job was on the line (and rightly so IMO), that's when we started to play good consistent stuff and go on a strong run in the league. There was little rotation during this period and we played good attacking pressing fooball.

Benitez needs to be put under pressure in order to get the best out of him. Our form now is D-D-W-D-D. That's not good enough. People should moan and they are certinaly entitled to. I also think his contract should be deferred until the end of this season.

Some hard numbers on your point about last season's run:

- the height of the 'sack Rafa' rubbish came in the aftermath of the defeat @West Ham on 30 Jan;
    - in the 15 league games between then and the end of the season we picked up 36 points;
    - in the first 15 league games of this season we picked up 34 points;

People felt we were humming during that 15 game run to finish last season and performing poorly to begin this year - and the difference? 2 points. When logic dictates that it is easier to perform when the pressure is off and games become less and less important as a season plays out to a conclusion.

I personally agree that his contract should not be reviewed until season's end - but I would always be of such an opinion in sport (remember the Eddie O' Sullivan debacle). But it is difficult for me to envisage his deal not being renewed at that point - barring some sort of cataclysmic collapse. And if you did decide to let him go, yet again the question would be who do you bring in to replace him? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Good result, that's 7 out of 9 against the big 4 so far, it could be the difference from last year.

Boo Rafa, though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Totally different. You can't compare a league with a cup competition.

Benitez won the CL in spite of Houllier's players, not because of them. But he did get very lucky along the way to win it you have to admit, and he got it tactically wrong in the final.

Hmm, I don't know about that. I think the choice of penalty takers was tactical genius myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

spockety wrote: »
    Who do you think should be brought in to replace him?

Form for the last 6 matches

United - 11 pts
    Chelsea - 11pts
    Liverpool - 10pts
    Arsenal - 8pts

By your logic, Ferguson and Scolari should probably walk as well.

The league is judged over 38 games - let's take stock then eh?

For me, this was always the year that Benitez needed to deliver the title or come damn close to it. But I see the same mistakes being made yet again this year and I predict we will fall away badly in the new year. He has not shown the capacity to adapt to the English league.

Some may laugh, but I think Martin O'Neill would do a better job with less money and time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Until Chelsea play their game in hand. WWDWW - good enough for small clubs but not good enough for Liverpool FC. Looks like it's up to Chelsea again to keep the Man Utd from equalling LIverpool's title total.

Well as a Liverpool supporter with my club top of the table, I like to think and hope it will be Liverpool that keep Man Utd from equalling the title haul record, they are doing a sterling effort so far.

However, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and if you fancy throwing in the towel on the assumption that Liverpool will go one point (ONE ... POINT...) behind top spot tomorrow, then that's up to you, but I cannot for the life of me understand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

this is a game liverpool should have won, they were much superior to arsenal prior to the sending off. i thought arsenal battled as if their lives depended on it after the sending off, traits that were not evident before the SO when liverpool had like 75% possession in the first 20 minutes of the second half

The league is judged over 38 games - let's take stock then eh?

For me, this was always the year that Benitez needed to deliver the title or come damn close to it. But I see the same mistakes being made yet again this year and I predict we will fall away badly in the new year. He has not shown the capacity to adapt to the English league.

Some may laugh, but I think Martin O'Neill would do a better job with less money and time.

YES, LET'S!!! That is what we are all saying...ah :confused::(

zdfkgkzsnhgkgkhszakhgkh

As for Martin O' Neil doing a better job? Given the stuff that went down over the Gareth Barry transfer - how could he possibly be a viable candidate for the job? I think a few years will have to pass before the hardcore of Liverpool support who actually buy tickets and go to home and away games regularly would stomach him at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think a few years will have to pass before the hardcore of Liverpool support who actually buy tickets and go to home and away games regularly would stomach him at the club.

Meh. Hardcore Liverpool fans will put up with anything. Why do you think we've gone 18 years without a title?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

talk of sacking rafa is imo really dangerous. im sure i have blurted it out myself in the heat of the moment but in the cold light of day sacking rafa would be a very poor decision. he has steadily improved things at the club. stability has been the norm at the pool always and moving on a manager just for the sake of it would surely go against traditions of the club. not to mention the period of the new manager selling players and buying new ones to resemble the squad he wants. a change of manager would bring us even further away from winning the league i reckon...

and as for the question of who do you get to replace him i think personally i would only be happy with one manager replacing himand as much as i hate saying it that man is jose..so enough of this talk and stick with rafa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Q2002 wrote: »
    Anyone else think there is a lot of diving and feigning by Liverpool players?

Adebayor should have been booked for his dive at the edge of the box before that tackle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

mormank wrote: »
    talk of sacking rafa is imo really dangerous.

it's also utter madness. are Liverpool not top of the league at the moment or am I dreaming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

and as for the question of who do you get to replace him i think personally i would only be happy with one manager replacing himand as much as i hate saying it that man is jose..so enough of this talk and stick with rafa

I think Jose has one eye on fergie's perch. I would hate if he became United manager but if you think about it then its really only Arsenal (think not, Wenger), Liverpool or Man Utd. He said he is going back to the premiership when his contract is up in 2010.

Meh. Hardcore Liverpool fans will put up with anything. Why do you think we've gone 18 years without a title?

Talk to the owners of the Sun about that contention. That we have been 18 years without a title has nothing to do with our core fanbase.

i really hope they dont get jose as fergie's replacement!! i am hoping for at least a couple of seasons of underachievement after they replace fergie and appointing jose would not bring this imo..

im not saying that i want jose to replace rafa or anything just that if rafa was asked to leave at the end of the season or whatever, which i think would be crazy, jose is the only manager who i would be happy with coming in to replace him

Why does anyone want José to replace Rafa.

He won't play 'exciting attacking' football.
    He won't have the same amount of money he had at Chelsea.
    He arguably won't inherit as good as squad as he did at Chelsea.
    He has pissed off our fans already before.
    He is a twat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

top contribution to this thread from NTLbell as per usual.

cracking stuff. its actually hilarious to read back over.

3 points would've been a great result here today, and looked like it might happen for a while but fair play to Arsenal who were really excellent after Ade was sent off (rightly so imo)

insua is looking excellent, wouldnt have him ahead of Aurelio yet, but i would pick him over Dossena every day of the week.

Babel drives me mental.

Why does anyone want José to replace Rafa.

He won't play 'exciting attacking' football.
    He won't have the same amount of money he had at Chelsea.
    He arguably won't inherit as good as squad as he did at Chelsea.
    He has pissed off our fans already before.
    He is a twat.

- I think he demonstrated a certain amount of respect for the tradition and history of the club - particularly during the first CL semi - final;
    - He won it all at Porto without a big budget or a pre assembled squad of superstars;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

why are people even discussing replacement managers? seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Adebayor should have been booked for his dive at the edge of the box before that tackle

Also his handball in the first half when the ball was adjudged to go out of play. Sky even said it was deliberate and he didnt know before he punched it but then again sky are clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I'll happily take a ban for this if it is necessary: any Liverpool fan who is entertaining the thought of wanting Rafa gone is a thick, short sighted muppet who shouldnt be allowed watch football let alone comment on it. Kthxbye!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Man, i havent posted here in months. There is no way you can ask for rafa's head. You are top of the league. This is from a man utd supporter

Yeah but we're only top of the league because Man United and Chelsea haven't hit top form yet. The fact that we haven't hit top form either though is irrelevant. because of rotation and Kuyt.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Yeah but we're only top of the league because Man United and Chelsea haven't hit top form yet. The fact that we haven't hit top form either though is irrelevant. because of rotation and Kuyt.

lol joke or not I can't tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

joke methinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Has to be a joke..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

What has Rafa done wrong? We've beaten UTD and Chelsea. We have also drawn with Arsenal Without Torres or Mach. People are treating this like a bad result, its not. This is heading towards Rafas best season yet and people are saying ha should be sacked? Some people . . .:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    We don't play in a vacuum independent from the opposition though. Arsenal's work rate was insane after they went to 10 men - and they pressed us really high up the park. It's not just a case of us playing poorly - any team would have struggled to capitalise on their advantage during that 15 minute stretch.
    As for the subs:

- Keane had begun to look a little tired and wasn't particularly involved for about 10 mins before he was taken off;
    - Riera the same;
    - When Lucas came off we had established a control over the game again and were causing problems, might as well throw a striker on at that point;
    - Babel was rubbish again, but I can understand why he gets so many second chances - not the manager's fault;
    - El Zahr came closest for us and impacted the game after his introduction;

This is the team and manager you've got. Benitez won La Liga and the UEFA Cup with Valencia employing these tactics and outlook on the game. He has made us a force in Europe doing the same. He's not changing his MO at this stage - that people refuse to accept this when we are top of the league is comical to me. At the end of the season you will have to look at how we finished up and the upside that exists in the squad (understanding that the squad will play a certain way under Rafa) and make a decision as to whether you are getting closer under him and should allow him to continue.

Constant whinging and longing over what we haven't got in terms of the management or playing staff is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

Fair enough but this is up to the manager to make correct changes both with subs and tactical decisions to make use of the extra man under these conditions. Its was clearly evident that Liverpool would have taken nicking a winner but the main thing was to consolidate the draw. With 25 minutes left and the other team down to 10 men i think proactive decisions should be made to use that extra man things like pushing our full backs on(They actually looked like they had been told the opposite) , maybe bringing off Kuyt whose industry and willingness to track back are no longer needed to the same extent.

These are just suggestions and probably bad ones :o .... its the point i am trying to convey that when we are in these kinda situation - Arsenal down to 10 men just happening to be the current one - i want to see Rafa show the belief in his players to let them go get the 3 points rather than i feel like he did today keeping them on a short leash.

I always felt in the past that we probably didn't have the team for the above to be the case but i feel thats changed and Rafa has slowly put together a group of players that can win the league culminating in the current group. I feel now he needs to instill more trust in his own players and let them express themselves more in an attacking sense. In the earlier part of the season i felt this was starting to happen but i think losing Torres has meant hes lost some of that vision and trust in just letting the players play.

Question : When have Liverpool been at their best this season ?

Answer : When coming from behind.

I feel this is due to the fact that when we need goals Benitez hand is forced and he has no other choice than to take the shackles off and ask the team to play with a little more reckless abandonment.

Some of which was needed today IMO!

Opr

lol i think i inadvertently began the discussion for replacement managers however if you read back through my actual post you will see it was one supporting rafa not caring if his contract is sorted now or end of season as long as he gets one...i merley commented that if he was to be replaced i think anymanager in the world right now would be a step down bar jose who's record speaks for itself and would maybe only be a step sideways anyway..now how is that calling for rafa's head?? think about it, i mean really think about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

opr wrote: »
    Question : When have Liverpool been at their best this season ?
    Answer : When coming from behind.
    Opr
    This has been the case every season under Benitez.

Yes but this is arsenal at the emirates, show any reckless abandonment even against 10 men and you will very likely concede...

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    This has been the case every season under Benitez.

not a totally bad thing imo. cast your minds back to the start of the 04/05 season..it was rafa's first season in charge. i cannot remember the dates but it was early in the season and we were playing newcastle at st james'...newcastle went a goal up and staight away i was so disillisioned as i was not used to a liverpool side that was capable of coming back from behind. we went on to win that game 2 1, something i felt was beyond us at the time. and i feel now the team has so much quality and character about it that you acn quite literally never write us off in a match no matter what the situation...thats a great feeling when atching a live game, much better than the desperation under houllier that i personally felt whenever we fell bahind in a game..thats gotta be progress

that's gotta be progress

If that's the only progress you have seen over the last 4 years then you're blind! Rafa has overhauled the whole club in the last 4 years from the mess Houllier left. There isn't one aspect of the club that hasn't improved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    It's not just restricted to Liverpool players. RVP went down like a whore in the first half when Riera barely touched him.

Worst moment in the game for me, such a cheating "oh I've been shot" attitude not helped by his post-match interview - Adebayor should have got a red for his studs-first attempt to break Arbeloas legs. The sending off certainly worked better for the Gunners as the play became broken up with Webbs officious attitude and a positive fighting mentality from the home side.

As for the result, meh. No great harm done as a point away to the Gunners would have been taken beforehand.

Babel really is becoming a problem, the composure down the left flank went with Riera. Isnua must be the first choice LB as of now, so much better than Dossena.

As much as Keane had annoyed/disapointed me I screamed like an orgasming 16 year old girl when he smashed that in. Pretty good turn of pace as well, hopefully that can be built on.

also 7/9 points from the big 4 mini league isnt bad so far...

Advertisement