Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics comparisons between the PC, 360 and PS3

Options
  • 21-12-2008 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Gamespot has released an article comparing the IQ between the PC and both consoles. The games tested are Fallout 3, DeadSpace, COD-WAW and GTA IV. There are 4 roll over pics for each game tested, hover over the bottom and the pic changes. Its no suprise that the pc wins hands down but it suprised me which console has the worst graphics.

Article

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

that just proved the PC was better them both of them lol
    In the 360 v PS3 i think the 360 looked better but I think its mainly because those ps3 screenshots look very dark so probably not a fair comparison... and at no point could you say; "yeah thats definitely ps3/360"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    and at no point could you say; "yeah thats definitely ps3/360"

Yes You could, the ps3 is clearly owned by the 360 in Dead Space and GTA IV screenshots, the brightness/contrast are totally messed up

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

the gtaIV foliage on the PS3 makes me wanna vomit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Not suprised Pc is better, but it should be way better.Somewhere around the difference between a ps1 and a dreamcast I think.

Ps3 has a weak 7800gtx type video card, while the x360's xenos is a modified x1800 which is architecturally much better.The Cell in the Ps3 is cool, but it doesnt help with AA and the sort.Still the Ps3 is the much better console, I own bought and the Ps3 is so quiet and blu ray is awesome.My x360 has broken twice in the space of 2 1/2 years, while the Ps3 has been perfectly efficient.

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Not suprised Pc is better, but it should be way better.Somewhere around the difference between a ps1 and a dreamcast I think.

Doesn't suprise me really, they're all console ports
    Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Ps3 has a weak 7800gtx type video card, while the x360's xenos is a modified x1800 which is architecturally much better.The Cell in the Ps3 is cool, but it doesnt help with AA and the sort.Still the Ps3 is the much better console, I own bought and the Ps3 is so quiet and blu ray is awesome.My x360 has broken twice in the space of 2 1/2 years, while the Ps3 has been perfectly efficient.

Exactly, the Ps3's selling points are Blu-Ray, the handfull of exclusives it has and a more reliable build quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Yes You could, the ps3 is clearly owned by the 360 in Dead Space and GTA IV screenshots, the brightness/contrast are totally messed up
    Gamespot get many microsoft donations?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Yes You could, the ps3 is clearly owned by the 360 in Dead Space and GTA IV screenshots
    What images are you looking at? I can barely notice any difference between the two of them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

the xbox wins because when i moved into my new apartment my PS3 was stolen by a junkie, this is because sony made it too big which meant it was easy to spot and steal by the intruder.
    DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I'm no techie ,but surely these games are always going to look better on the 360 compared to the PS3 ,because of the similarities with the PC.

Imagine what a ps3 game would look like on the 360 ? ,how long would it take to re-write it for the 360 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

console always look muddy to me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Even if some of the images were a lot darker on the PS3- if you look closely- the definition was superior to the xbox. The PC obviously won hands down of course. Bet it wasn't a EUR299 PC though......... Thats what you'll get a PS3, with a bluray drive for.......... Hmmmmm

The Dead Space comparison was the most startling one.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Fallout 3 looks much better on the 360, much better textures..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hooray for graphics whores.

Now make me a game better than Deus Ex.
    And I'm not talking about the graphics.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    What images are you looking at? I can barely notice any difference between the two of them.

Have You actually figured out how to change the pics on the page yet? obviously not...........................hover over the writing under each pic where it says pc, 360 or ps3

Have You actually figured out how to change the pics on the page yet? obviously not...........................hover over the writing under each pic where it says pc, 360 or ps3

Thanks for that :rolleyes:

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Thanks for that :rolleyes:

Now do You see the difference? Agree with me now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

These articles are always pointless. You can't judge which console has the best graphics by comparing the same game on different consoles, as the game is usually developed on one and ported over to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Haha, can't believe how bad the Ps3 looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Check out the ruined APC in the water featured in the COD:WAW screenshot, jaysus that is desperate !

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What a thread...

• Advertisement

Benzino wrote: »
    These articles are always pointless. You can't judge which console has the best graphics by comparing the same game on different consoles, as the game is usually developed on one and ported over to the other.

........says the ps3 owner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Polar101

This was really the article that made me go buy Fallout 3 for the PS3 instead of the PC - I want to play games, not use a magnifying glass to find out differences between different versions I'll never play anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

PS3 looks slightly sharper to me but anybody who says there is a significant noticeable difference that would affect the enjoyment of playing a game has a terrible case of fanboyitis.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It all depends on what platform the relevant games were developed for to be honest. I've a few games across both PC and PS3 platforms. Some are great on one, but so-so on the other, and vice versa. There is not a standard. My PC cost nearly 4 times what my PS3 cost though.......

Now do You see the difference? Agree with me now?
    I was being sarcastic. I can still only see minute differences between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

........says the ps3 owner :D

and an Xbox 360 and PC owner...gotta love multiplatform gaming :p

I would be interested to know the spec of the PCs used and how much they cost. The xbox360 is currently cheapest and has better graphics (on some games) than the ps3.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

9 times out of 10 if a game is multi platform the Xbox 360 version looks better than the PS3. Generally feeling is the Xbox 360 is easier to develop games for than the PS3, hence its slight graphical advantage in multiplatform games. Still Uncharted: Drakes Fortune and MGS4 looked great on the PS3 and one wonders with God of War III and Killzone 2 out next year will the PS3 finally show what many feel it can really do or will it be status quo again.

While the graphical advantage of the Xbox 360 is usally very minor, however one thing pictures don't show is that it also usually has a framerate advantage as well.

No suprise the PC is out in front, but your paying considerable more for what normally amounts to higher frame rates, higher resolution textures, higher resolution options as well as AA and AF settings. But the trade off can be significantly more bugs and technical issues. Still I love the keyboard and mouse and the general versatility of PC Gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

mayordenis wrote: »
    the xbox wins because when i moved into my new apartment my PS3 was stolen by a junkie, this is because sony made it too big which meant it was easy to spot and steal by the intruder.
    DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    brings up an interesting Q: do any consoles these days have kensington lock slots on them?

• Advertisement
Advertisement