Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google returning strange results today?

Options
  • 21-12-2008 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

Is it just me, or is google returning spam sites in the top three when searching?

Usually when using google the first result back is from wikipedia.

When I searched on the 'Conor Cruise O' Brien' this morning, this was the first site returned:

Conor Cruise O'Brien - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Conor Cruise O'Brien (also colloquially known as "The Cruiser"; 3 November 1917 – 18 December 2008) [1] was an Irish politician, writer and academic. ...
    cruise.tipsnguide.com - 73k - Cached - Similar pages

- I've underlined the spam site. Same for other searches, for example, first site for the Sex Pistols returns

Sex Pistols - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The Sex Pistols in 1977. Left to right: Sid Vicious, Johnny Rotten, and Steve Jones, with drummer Paul Cook in the background. The photo was taken during ...
    www.thetop10.com/ - 173k - Cached - Similar pages

What's going on? I'm running AVG and I've done an Adaware scan, is anyone else seeing the same thing or is it just me?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Is it just me, or is google returning spam sites in the top three when searching?

Usually when using google the first result back is from wikipedia.

When I searched on the 'Conor Cruise O' Brien' this morning, this was the first site returned:

Conor Cruise O'Brien - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Conor Cruise O'Brien (also colloquially known as "The Cruiser"; 3 November 1917 – 18 December 2008) [1] was an Irish politician, writer and academic. ...
    cruise.tipsnguide.com - 73k - Cached - Similar pages

- I've underlined the spam site. Same for other searches, for example, first site for the Sex Pistols returns

Sex Pistols - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The Sex Pistols in 1977. Left to right: Sid Vicious, Johnny Rotten, and Steve Jones, with drummer Paul Cook in the background. The photo was taken during ...
    www.thetop10.com/ - 173k - Cached - Similar pages

What's going on? I'm running AVG and I've done an Adaware scan, is anyone else seeing the same thing or is it just me?

I've tried searches for those on both google.com and google.ie and the underlined spam links didn't appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Was me after all.

Both AVG and AdAware didn't pick up a piece of malware that was active on my PC. Malwarebytes' excellent program cleaned it up for me.

Advertisement