Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Television Psychics

• 21-12-2008 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

I stumbled across a premium rate (2.52 Euro/Min) telephony psychic service channel whilst channel surfing.

How are these guys allowed to make a living on a gullible public? Isn't this in breach some consumer protection legislation?

I did not see anywhere nor did I hear mention that the 'service is for entertainment purposes only' during the 15 minutes that I watched it.

Then again, the same argument could made about Church collections if you're an athiest.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭themonk

lol are you sure this was not televised dail coverage of our politicans :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Seriously, if someone is silly enough to part with their money in this way, the providers are welcome to it.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭BravoSierra

galwayrush wrote: »
    Seriously, if someone is silly enough to part with their money in this way, the providers are welcome to it.:rolleyes:

Agreed but apparently they're in abundance if companies like this are thriving.

Why wouldn't this fall under consumer protection? I'm damn sure they can't authenticate their service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

I stumbled across a premium rate (2.52 Euro/Min) telephony psychic service channel whilst channel surfing.

How are these guys allowed to make a living on a gullible public? Isn't this in breach some consumer protection legislation?

I did not see anywhere nor did I hear mention that the 'service is for entertainment purposes only' during the 15 minutes that I watched it.

Then again, the same argument could made about Church collections if you're an athiest.

Lots of people make money from gullible people. Fair play to them.
    themonk wrote: »
    lol are you sure this was not televised dail coverage of our politicans :D

Our politicians are physic? :O That explains how Enda Kenny's always right about everything, in advance.
    galwayrush wrote: »

Yeah, exactly, people are gob****es for calling these numbers, not for running them.
    Agreed but apparently they're in abundance if companies like this are thriving.

Why wouldn't this fall under consumer protection? I'm damn sure they can't authenticate their service.

Look, here's the thing, consumer protection means protecting people for fraudulent sellers. These guys are giving you exactly what you pay for, a physic reading. You and I know it's all just cold reading, but if that's your definition of physic, that's what they're offering. I'm sure they have lots of T&Cs they'd be delighted to talk to you about at the very reasonable rate of 2.50/min.

In the end, the government, and our taxes, shouldn't be wasted protecting eejits from themselves, let them give away all their hard-earned moolah. Who cares? It doesn't affect you or I, just them, so let them make their own mistakes. No government (I think, at least) has any business in this area of people's lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Television Psychics

I knew you were going to post that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

This brings up the topic of those stupid ads for ringtones where if you read the small-print you will notice they completely fleece you with subscriptions-RTE doesnt seem to show them but TV3 always does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭afatbollix

what about the babe world channels??? they rip off horny lads... just as bad...

they should charge only 5 cent a minute :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

john edward and others in america have made millions from rubbish like this because there are lots of gullible people in the world. many believe horoscopes in the daily papers

rossie1977 wrote: »
    many believe horoscopes in the daily papers

Daily readings differ from publication to publication.

big b wrote: »
    I knew you were going to post that

I knew you knew that. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Some smart fecker in Knock setup "Dial a prayer", ingenious :D

Murphys law: its morally wrong for suckers to keep their money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

I knew you knew that. :pac:

I used to do it for a living.

gave it up though....couldn't see any future in it.

Advertisement