Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Last.fm: Share It

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I stand by my orginal post in this thread

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Under A Funeral Moon

Here's mine. I think I already have a good few of you as friends on it.
    http://www.last.fm/user/ThorsMaiden

Cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Here's mine. I think I already have a good few of you as friends on it.
    http://www.last.fm/user/ThorsMaiden

Cathy

Why did you make another account Cathy? :P

• Advertisement

Why did you make another account Cathy? :P

I tried to get the password for my other account e-mailed to me LOADS of times, but it never came through. Ah well, tis time for a fresh start. :o

Ask about it on helpdesk if you want it back, they're still sorting accounts out, and they can merge your two accounts

Ask about it on helpdesk if you want it back, they're still sorting accounts out, and they can merge your two accounts

Will do, thanks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

Just realised, none of you listen to the same sort of metal I do...
    http://www.last.fm/user/Girl_Of_Glass_

Just realised, none of you listen to the same sort of metal I do...
    http://www.last.fm/user/Girl_Of_Glass_

I don't think any of it's actually metal. There's the problem! :pac:

I don't think any of it's actually metal. There's the problem! :pac:

I knew someone would reply with something like that.

Actually, if you really knew your metal, then you'd realise that there is metal there. But I find the people in this forum just listen to the more mainstream 'metaller' metal. For example: Metallica, Mastadoon, Pantera, Iron Maiden etc etc. Not saying that's bad, but I don't think there's much diversity in this forum.

Anyway, so Parkway Drive, Architects, August Burns Red, Suicide Silence, Underoath - you're telling me they're not metal.

I bet you just judged from my top artists. My music taste doesn't just consist of metal, which is why you may have been misconceived when you looked at my last.fm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

But I find the people in this forum just listen to the more mainstream 'metaller' metal. For example: Metallica, Mastadoon, Pantera, Iron Maiden etc etc. Not saying that's bad, but I don't think there's much diversity in this forum.
    Going a bit off-topic here but anyway, I think that's a bit of an unfair generalisation. One of the things I like about this forum is that most of the posters are quite well-informed about rock & metal in general and the discussions that arise are not just restricted to the more popular and well-known metal bands. Sure Metallica, Iron Maiden etc. come up in conversation but even looking at the first page of the forum now I see topics on 3 Doors Down, Fozzy, Norma Jean, ZZ Top, Murderdolls, Reckless Love, Pink Floyd, Trivium and Soilwork. That represents quite a good mixture of mainstream metal, classic rock, glam rock, metalcore and hard rock.

If I had a Last.fm account I'd probably be similar to you, with non-metal music dominating. I find when I'm in work that I normally listen to ambient or trance stuff. Metal is too distracting. I find myself concentrating on the music rather than whatever I'm supposed to be doing :).

Another point is that the forum is driven by the users. If you think there aren't enough topics on bands you like then start some discussion threads and open peoples eyes (and ears).

Malice_ wrote: »
    Going a bit off-topic here but anyway, I think that's a bit of an unfair generalisation. One of the things I like about this forum is that most of the posters are quite well-informed about rock & metal in general and the discussions that arise are not just restricted to the more popular and well-known metal bands. Sure Metallica, Iron Maiden etc. come up in conversation but even looking at the first page of the forum now I see topics on 3 Doors Down, Fozzy, Norma Jean, ZZ Top, Murderdolls, Reckless Love, Pink Floyd, Trivium and Soilwork. That represents quite a good mixture of mainstream metal, classic rock, glam rock, metalcore and hard rock.

If I had a Last.fm account I'd probably be similar to you, with non-metal music dominating. I find when I'm in work that I normally listen to ambient or trance stuff. Metal is too distracting. I find myself concentrating on the music rather than whatever I'm supposed to be doing :).

Another point is that the forum is driven by the users. If you think there aren't enough topics on bands you like then start some discussion threads and open peoples eyes (and ears).

I'm the opposite, I think the mixture of metal here is very typical, it just doesn't seem to push boundaries in the genre, in my opinion of course.

But you're right, all I have to do is start a thread to introduce some new bands here. Which I think I will do. :)

Actually, if you really knew your metal, then you'd realise that there is metal there. But I find the people in this forum just listen to the more mainstream 'metaller' metal. For example: Metallica, Mastadoon, Pantera, Iron Maiden etc etc. Not saying that's bad, but I don't think there's much diversity in this forum.
    Meh, my top 15 have only 1 of them (Metallica) and we still only had 2 artists in common :p

Meh, my top 15 have only 1 of them (Metallica) and we still only had 2 artists in common :p

You don't get my point, I didn't mean those bands exclusively. So :p

You don't get my point, I didn't mean those bands exclusively. So :p
    Haha nah I get you point and I can see where you're coming from, but there is a decent bit of discussion for the likes of prog which definitely "push the boundaries of metal" as you put it. More popular rock/metal is always gonna get most discussion, just how it rolls.

I knew someone would reply with something like that.

Anyway, so Parkway Drive, Architects, August Burns Red, Suicide Silence, Underoath - you're telling me they're not metal.

I bet you just judged from my top artists. My music taste doesn't just consist of metal, which is why you may have been misconceived when you looked at my last.fm.

I actually do know a fair bit about metal music; starting from its origins to where it got to today. I don't think a lot of people here either go for just the mainstream stuff (I don't even like or listen to Mastodon) and if you look at my Last.fm, you'll find a lot of obscure artists that are fair from the mainstream as it is.

Have to address the bold part too. Sorry, but I don't consider any genre of music with 'core' thrown in at the end of the description to be metal. And I did just skim your top artists. I'm not saying listening to stuff that isn't metal is a bad thing, just calling stuff like Parkway Drive and Underoath metal is uncalled for since they're clearly screamo garbage. :p I can see 20 overall top artists from a glance at your page and HIM would be the only remotely metal thing I could see there, but even that's pushing it.

I actually do know a fair bit about metal music; starting from its origins to where it got to today. I don't think a lot of people here either go for just the mainstream stuff (I don't even like or listen to Mastodon) and if you look at my Last.fm, you'll find a lot of obscure artists that are fair from the mainstream as it is.

Have to address the bold part too. Sorry, but I don't consider any genre of music with 'core' thrown in at the end of the description to be metal. And I did just skim your top artists. I'm not saying listening to stuff that isn't metal is a bad thing, just calling stuff like Parkway Drive and Underoath metal is uncalled for since they're clearly screamo garbage. :p I can see 20 overall top artists from a glance at your page and HIM would be the only remotely metal thing I could see there, but even that's pushing it.

I never stated you liked Mastodon, I was just picking out a few artists that come up in this forum more often than others. Nothing got to do with your taste at all.

I looked through all your artists there, not that obscure or diverse in my opinion.

And you are completely wrong in stating that Parkway Drive and the others are 'screamo garbage', you clearly don't know your music genres very well.
    Here's some 'screamo garbage' as you call it, just so you know.

So you think the above and this are the same, eh?

You've got a lot to learn.

How does putting a 'core' at the end of it make it any less metal. Does putting the word 'black' infront of metal make it any less metal. No, didn't think so.
    Get off your high horse. Just cause you don't like it doesn't mean it's garbage.

And again, you just skimmed through my top artists. :p

• Advertisement

I never stated you liked Mastodon, I was just picking out a few artists that come up in this forum more often than others. Nothing got to do with your taste at all.

I never said you were picking me out specifically either.
    I looked through all your artists there, not that obscure or diverse in my opinion.

I'm sure you know each and every one of them. I don't remember the last time I had an in-depth discussion with somebody in this country about bands like Delain, Communic, Jakalope, Edenbridge, or Manticora here. I can guarantee you that not one person here has listened to all 5 of those together. Their styles vary a lot too. But that's beside the point. I don't judge a band's merits on how obscure or unheard of they are. I could care less.
    And you are completely wrong in stating that Parkway Drive and the others are 'screamo garbage', you clearly don't know your music genres very well.
    Here's some 'screamo garbage' as you call it, just so you know.

<<Link to Scary Kids Scaring Kids, who were never even mentioned in the discussion>>

So you think the above and this are the same, eh?

<<Link to the same Parkway Drive screamo drivel>>

You've got a lot to learn.

Like what I put there above, the first band you put up there were never even mentioned so I don't know why you brought them up. Second link was still Parkway Drive and it's still screamo garbage. I used the term 'screamo garbage' to describe them, with the latter word being totally subjective and opinionated. I know you seem to adore them but I just think it's muck, not my cup of tea. I don't really care what anybody says but the vocals in that track just scream 'screamo' to me. That's not an opinion, it's pretty obvious. Not a lot to learn here.
    How does putting a 'core' at the end of it any less metal. Does putting the word 'black' infront of metal make it any less metal. No, didn't think so.

You're taking what I said way too literally. The physical description of the band's genre doesn't make or unmake it heavy metal, I just tend to find when a band has a genre description with something along the lines of 'post-hardcore' or 'metalcore', it's generally frowned upon by listeners of the more traditional styles like thrash, power, or death. Again, I don't state this as fact, it's completely subjective. It's just my experience.
    Get off your high horse. Just cause you don't like it doesn't mean it's garbage.

Having an opinion you disagree with doesn't elevate me upon a high horse. You just have to try a bit harder to not get so offended when somebody disses a bit of music you like and not take it personally.
    And again, you just skimmed through my top artists. :p

I skimmed through a lot more just there and it's more of the same genre-wise.

I never said you were picking me out specifically either.
    Well then why would you bother saying this if you didn't think I was picking you out...
    I don't even like or listen to Mastodon

I'm sure you know each and every one of them. I don't remember the last time I had an in-depth discussion with somebody in this country about bands like Delain, Communic, Jakalope, Edenbridge, or Manticora here. I can guarantee you that not one person here has listened to all 5 of those together. Their styles vary a lot too. But that's beside the point. I don't judge a band's merits on how obscure or unheard of they are. I could care less.
    Never said I knew each and every band on you Last.fm, just cause I don't like them doesn't mean I don't know what they're like though.

Like what I put there above, the first band you put up there were never even mentioned so I don't know why you brought them up.
    I brought them up as a comparison, beacause they fit the description screamo. Which is far from what you thought it was.
    Second link was still Parkway Drive and it's still screamo garbage. I used the term 'screamo garbage' to describe them, with the latter word being totally subjective and opinionated. I know you seem to adore them but I just think it's muck, not my cup of tea. I don't really care what anybody says but the vocals in that track just scream 'screamo' to me. That's not an opinion, it's pretty obvious. Not a lot to learn here.
    I never asked for your opinion on my music taste, all I said in my first post was "I realised I like different metal to the lot of you". And then you say it's not metal. You really have no clue, dude.
    I didn't ask for your opinion, I haven't gone dissing your music taste as it's completely subjective. Each to their own and all, but who are you to say it's not metal!?

You're taking what I said way too literally. The physical description of the band's genre doesn't make or unmake it heavy metal, I just tend to find when a band has a genre description with something along the lines of 'post-hardcore' or 'metalcore', it's generally frowned upon by listeners of the more traditional styles like thrash, power, or death. Again, I don't state this as fact, it's completely subjective. It's just my experience.
    The term metalcore and the likes is frowned upon by close minded people like you and people who tend to listen to the more traditional stuff. But metal has evolved over time obviously and metalcore is a relatively new genre so to say, but it makes it no less metal than what you listen to.

Having an opinion you disagree with doesn't elevate me upon a high horse. You just have to try a bit harder to not get so offended when somebody disses a bit of music you like and not take it personally.
    I'm not offended at all, your opinion on my music doesn't bother me in the slightest, but what does bother me are people like you who think any music that they don't like is just garbage. It's just like saying Lady Gaga isn't pop, it's just shíte. WRONG.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to this.

This is metal:

This is not metal:

At the end of the day, you're wrong.

At the end of the day, you're wrong.

I don't think so, Tim.

On one hand we have the soaring vocal register of Rob Halford with a 20 second sustained note in the outro, several blistering guitar solos and one of the best and well-known drum solos ever produced on a heavy metal record to date, often being cited as one of the best metal tracks ever.

The other hand we have some whiney, generic, American 20-something-year-old screaming so loud you can't actually hear what the hell he's saying behind those recycled chord progressions we've all come to know and hate ever since this screamo **** first hit the airwaves.

I don't really want to derail my own thread for another page so we should probably leave it at that. I'll go listen to my Judas Priest and wallow in my ignorance and you can be open-minded and enjoy your Underoath and Bring me the Horizon. :3

I don't think so, Tim.
    Aren't you the comedian.
    On one hand we have the soaring vocal register of Rob Halford with a 20 second sustained note in the outro, several blistering guitar solos and one of the best and well-known drum solos ever produced on a heavy metal record to date, often being cited as one of the best metal tracks ever.

The other hand we have some whiney, generic, American 20-something-year-old screaming so loud you can't actually hear what the hell he's saying behind those recycled chord progressions we've all come to know and hate ever since this screamo **** first hit the airwaves.

;)

I must say, your on going rant about how shít the music I listen to is riveting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Okay, let's get back on topic please everyone. GirlOfGlass and Twilightning please feel free to continue your discussion via PM or create a separate discussion thread about what is and what isn't metal.

As far as I'm concerned I divide music into 2 styles - I like it or I don't like it. I couldn't care less if something's genre is neo-classical-post-hard-death-math-panda-core metal or not. If I like it I'll listen to it, if I don't then I won't.

Now - back to posting Last.fm accounts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I don't use it, but sure.

http://www.last.fm/user/JakoLFC8

Edit: Ok, now it's sync'd with my itunes so I now use it. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

my links in my sig, i like open mindedness and i think there is more to metal than leather jackets and guitar solos;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

http://www.last.fm/user/xsomeladx

I like what I like and so be it.
    Don't judge my entire music taste by what's on my last.fm either. Most of my listening is still done on CD and a bit of record... I'm a bit left behind.

Advertisement