Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women Of The Year 2008

• 21-12-2008 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

I enjoyed doing this last year, so I thought I'd do a women of the year thread for 2008 as well.

The idea is simple enough. Simply choose the top 3 women you think had the best in ring showings in 2008. This is based purely on wrestling skill and not looks or any T & A crap. A short explanation on your choices would be nice to read as well. : )

Each number one choice will get 5 points, number two will get 3 points and number 3 will get 1 point. At the very end I'll count up the scores and post the top 5.

Here's my choices:

Beth Phoenix

The Glamazon looked great both in and out of the ring this year. She had probably the best WWE women's match of the year with Melina at One Night Stand. Her stuff with Santino has been great as well. Beth is someone who has in the past been accused of having no personality, I think she's proven a lot of people wrong since the Glamerella pairing began.

Awesome Kong

Though she hasn't been booked great this year, she has remained just as solid in the ring. She had the best TNA women's match with Gail Kim at Final resolution, and many more good ones with her throughout the year. Despite the bad booking and poor crowd reactions, her series with Taylor Wilde delivered in the ring. She's had to wrestle down a lot in order to make her current feud with Christy Hemme look watchable, which is a shame. I can only imagine how great she could be if she was in a promotion that had a clue how to use her properly.

MsChif

Probably my favorite independent wrestler, MsChif has had a great year. She really deserves it based on the countless solid matches she's had over the years. The high point of her year had to have been winning the Shimmer championship from Sara Del Ray, and the NWA women's championship from Awesome Kong in the same weekend. Both a great wrestler, great character, I can never get enough of MsChif.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

1. Kong
    2. Kong
    3. Kong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Maryse
    Natalya
    Jillian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭herewegoagain

1. Glamazon
    2. Maryse coz shes da sex
    3. Taylor wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

1. Gail Kim: Undoubtedly the best womens wrestler around, great matches with Kong.
    2. Awesome Kong: She has a presence that most people don't that makes her look legitimately unstoppable.
    3. ODB: She's one of the most over women going.

Honourable Mention goes to Taylor Wilde: She's done some good work in TNA this year in the absence of Kim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Mickie James - another solid year in terms of wrestling for Mickie. In my opinion, she's the best wrestler of all the girls in WWE. She seems to be the most popular as well. I think it's an absolute travesty that the like of michelle mccool and candace michelle get pushes at the expense of Mickie.

Angelina Love - She has improved a lot since her indy days and is a regular solid performer in her matches now. I've been impressed by the amount of heat she draws during her matches and in her promos (which i have found to be very good). On a side not, she's also an amazingly hot (sorry, just couldnt resist saying so)!

Glamazon - Have always been impressed by her strength and intensity in the ring. I agree with Lita Forever that it is her improvement in terms of personality that stands out in 08.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I don't get this at all, Santino has carried her on the mic, without him despite all the squashes Beth gets no heat at all.

They compliment each other very well - it's the serious, straight character/ loud, crazy character pairing. I think Beth plays the serious character quite well and her reactions to Santinos nonsense are priceless. Both of them gain from the pairing and Beth's part in it is equally important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

They compliment each other very well - it's the serious, straight character/ loud, crazy character pairing. I think Beth plays the serious character quite well and her reactions to Santinos nonsense are priceless. Both of them gain from the pairing and Beth's part in it is equally important.

Fair enough I suppose,although I do think once she is split from Santino, she will go back to getting zilch reaction from the fans again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

1. Sarah Stock
    I've only seen her Shimmer matches- and every single appearance has been excellent. She's yet to disappoint, and her versatile, fast-paced style is a cut above almost all of her peers.

2.Gail kim
    She was the centrepiece of TNA's Knockout's division during it's incredible run at the start of the year, and her absence has seen the whole division flounder since. An overwhelmingly charismatic and exciting worker.

3. Awesome Kong
    It was tough to pick a third, because while i love Kong, her momentum in TNA has been hurt by horrible booking. But she still delivers, and her work in Shimmer is helpful compensation. When she's used right, Kong's just freaking awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

1. Beth Pheonix

2. Daizee Haze

3. Mickie James

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭rizzla

1. Kong

2. Roxxi

3. Chirsty Hemme

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

1. Beth Phoenix
    2. Awesome Kong
    3. Melina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Not looking to criticise but Melina has missed a pretty large chunk of 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

1. Beth Phoenix
    2. Maryse
    3. Gail Kim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭a-hole

kong

gail kim

Chirsty Hemme earler in the year she was paneful to watch but now with a lot of work shes the top face (female) in tna

There is no doubting that Christy Hemme has improved substantially over the last two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Lita Forever

Good replies so far. : )..Just to comment on a couple of things there..
    1. Sarah Stock
    I've only seen her Shimmer matches- and every single appearance has been excellent. She's yet to disappoint, and her versatile, fast-paced style is a cut above almost all of her peers.

Sarah Stock was someone I heavily considered when making my choices as well. Though I've yet to see her Shimmer matches due to me being really behind on my Shimmer dvds, I've seen a lot of her work from Mexico as Dark Angel. She's quickly become a favorite of mine with her lucha style. I managed to get my hands on some her early work as Griffin in WXW, and though the action is fairly choppy, the glimpses of talent are there. It was clear she was only going to improve and go onto better things. I'd love to see her pop up in TNA. Only after TNA sorted out the current crap booking and cut some of the weaker workers on the roster though.
    EdK wrote: »
    Not looking to criticise but Melina has missed a pretty large chunk of 2008

I can see your point, but I feel that Meina's work for the first half of 2008 warrants her a mention in this thread. The I quit match alone is enough, especially when you consider some of the dire efforts other women have made this year. She also had good matches with Mickie as well, and though Bunny Mania wasn't good, her and Beth saved it from being a complete cluster****. The triple threat at Judgement Day was also one of the best WWE women's matches of the year. Even though she was only active for half the year, her work clearly surpasses some women who were active for the whole year. Maria, Candice, Kelly etc.

Only after TNA ... cut some of the weaker workers on the roster though.

Rhaka Khan really needs to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Kong
    Gail Kim
    Glamazon

Honourable mention to RebelRockChick purely cos she kicked yer asses in the draft.
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

1.Gail Kim:Hands down the best female performer,kong feud produced great matches.
    2.Beth Phoenix:Solid year,more good performance's then bad,shown a lot more personality.
    3.Awesome Kong:one of the reasons to watch TNA.

Honourable mention:Kelly-Kelly:Has Improved vastly since joining Raw and hopefully will continue to progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

currythis wrote: »
    1.Gail Kim:Hands down the best female performer,kong feud produced great matches.
    2.Beth Phoenix:Solid year,more good performance's then bad,shown a lot more personality.
    3.Awesome Kong:one of the reasons to watch TNA.

Honourable mention:Kelly-Kelly:Has Improved vastly since joining Raw and hopefully will continue to progress.

going to have to agree 100% with this. beth has been the best wwe performer by a country mile, Glamerella is one of the best things on raw, i bet powerslam are happy now they described her as having the charisma of a dead fish prior to her hook up with santino.

kong and kim speak for themselves

kelly kelly has improved beyond recognition in the ring in 2008

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Honourable mention to RebelRockChick purely cos she kicked yer asses in the draft.
    :pac:

lol, Cheers Ned :pac:

1. Beth Phoenix
    2. Gail Kim
    3. Mickie James

Gotta mention Christy Hemme as well, from what I've seen of her this year (really haven't watched enough TNA all year, I'll admit), she certainly has improved.

Here's the results. Nothing too surprising. Lol.

Woman Of The year 20008: Beth Phoenix (38 points)

1st Runner Up Awesome Kong (32 points)

2nd Runner Up Gail Kim (28 points)

3rd Runner Up Maryse (11 points)

Thanks for voting everyone! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

maryse :eek:

i had to look back and see who voted her, (shakes fist at people who did :p)

i would vote mccool before maryse and that is saying something

Maryse, while nowhere near the level of most of the other women voted for, has still improved considerably at a fairly rapid rate. She plays her character as well as any woman I've seen. Just little things like taunting after a move, or little mannerisms like that. She's developed fairly good offense as well. She's also developed a good chemistry with McCool. Their matches have been good by recent women's standards. As an overall package, I'd vote for her over McCool.

Advertisement