Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the OXZ Vendetta 2 heatsink any good for overclocking an Intel Q6600 to 3ghz?

Options
  • 21-12-2008 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

I am thinking about buying an Intel core 2 quad Q6600 because at the moment it is said to be one of the best Intel cpus for overclocking and not too pricey either. And I need to know what is the best air cooling heatsink/fan for overclocking it from 2.4ghz to 3.0ghz I dont know that much about overclocking so I need some advice from anyone who has overclocked this cpu?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from Comp and Tech. You should get better help here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

I might be wrong but, if its anything like the e6600 you should be able to get close to that speed with just the standard heatsink

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

if its anything like the e6600 you should be able to get close to that speed with just the standard heatsink

... No.

E6600 is a dual-core part with IIRC 65W TDP (which increases with CPU frequency and strongly with voltage). It can be overclocked a bit with the stock IHS in a well-ventilated environment.

The Q6600 is a quad-core part; it is basically TWO E6600s on the same piece of silicon. New versions have a TDP of 95W; the original version kicked out a whopping 130W of heat, which is of course at stock clocks and voltage. Trying to get even a moderate OC using the boxed IHS is guaranteed fail.

Back to the OPs query: the Vendetta 2 is a great option for the E6600 so long as you're not blowing too much money on it. It can keep a 150W heat source stable just 20C above your ambient (current room) temperature with the fan on full blast, so long as you use a fairly good thermal paste (preferably silver-based); bear in mind that a Q6600 will be kicking out a fair bit more than 95W TDP once overclocked. The good news is that unlike many other high-end coolers running the big fan on the OCZ at full pelt is actually practical for a change as it doesn't sound like a wind tunnel next to your desk :)

Just bear in mind that, being a 120mm-based tower-type cooler, the Vendetta 2 is a pretty big cooler; far from the largest out there, but still, check the spec and make sure your PC case is wide enough to fit it in there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Solitaire wrote: »
    ... No.

E6600 is a dual-core part with IIRC 65W TDP (which increases with CPU frequency and strongly with voltage). It can be overclocked a bit with the stock IHS in a well-ventilated environment.

The Q6600 is a quad-core part; it is basically TWO E6600s on the same piece of silicon. New versions have a TDP of 95W; the original version kicked out a whopping 130W of heat, which is of course at stock clocks and voltage. Trying to get even a moderate OC using the boxed IHS is guaranteed fail.

....yes.

I had my quad at 3.2Ghz on Stock heatsink and it was a b3 (105w) not g0. I ran plenty of benches at that speed without issue. My case was quite well ventilated though (antec 900)

As for using the stock heatsink to overclock 'a bit' on dual cores that's also inaccurate, I've had 1.2Ghz overclocks on it without the slightest bit of hassle.

A better heatsink is ideal but a 'moderate' overclock is well manageable on the stock heatsink, up to 3ghz isn't going to melt or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yeah the Q6600 is very easily overclockable, even on a stock heatsink. So on the OcZ you should be able to push it a little bit further again, especially if you pair it with a good phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭cashman

sombaht wrote: »

Do overclockers.co.uk accept 3V prepaid Visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

cashman wrote: »
    I have used 3v with them twice but they refused my 3rd order as they said it was strange the i had 3 different credit cards.I did explain to them but with no success.
    You should be ok for your order though.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Hoser

you can easily overclock q6600 to 3Ghz on stock cooler, iv seen ppl got to 3.2 with stable tempratures on stock cooler.

post your topic here www.techimo.com they migth be able to help you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

cashman wrote: »

Dont buy off those ****ers, shipping is a disgrace and they add sneaky charges when you go to pay.

Q6600 overclocks like a dream on any half decent board/ram.

Scan ship to Ireland and are cheaper.

http://www.scan.ie/

Q6600 with stock fan ( fan is grand ) €150

• Advertisement
Advertisement