Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan Water

Options
  • 21-12-2008 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Hello......living in Clonuske in Balbriggan and have noticed over the last week or so that there is a minging taste off the tap water. This is a new phenomon it's been fine up to now. Anybody else finding this or know if something's happened to the water supply recently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

yes the water tastes quite bleachy to me lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

its been turned off twice this week,tuesday and wednesday evening,the council are doing some work to the main apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

nah water was off cause a mains was burst in Balrothery

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Helmet

So, any chance it's gonna go back to normal any time soon?

I hate lining Ballygowan's pockets!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Helmet wrote: »
    So, any chance it's gonna go back to normal any time soon?

I hate lining Ballygowan's pockets!!!

Try Lidl then normally 49p for 2litres, we stock up every time we have a problem with our water.

Not in Balbriggan but if there is a leak on our mains that gets fixed they seem to pump a whole load more extra chlorine in just in case any contamination got in.

Also discovered that the water quality depends on who is doing the testing on the water supply. One guy just throws chlorine in and another actually bothers to test the water and put in the recommended amount of chlorine.

• Advertisement

Nice one folks, thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

Helmet, I'm also living in Clonuske. The water has always been pretty bad and from time to time the water does have a really bad chemical smell coming out of the taps.

I use a Brita filter jug and it's pretty amazing how it takes the smell ( & presumably what's causing the smell) out of the water. I'd never boil a kettle or vegtables using anything other than the filtered water

Have been in Clonuske for about 2 and a half years now and this is the first time I've had a problem with the taste of the water, I'd be a bit of a picky ghet when it comes to the auld uisce as well.
    We got a brita filter and it made fup-all difference.
    Have been away over christmas, so we'll see what it's like when we get back.

Thanks for the info though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 dotts1977

Hi I live just up the road from Clonuske and every so often I make a cuppa and then just end up throwing it out cos of the smell and taste of it! Very high chemical smell. I thought it was just that we've got hard water and it causes a build up of limescale on my kettle. I'm only here 3 years and have had 3 kettles ruined even though I regularly descale.

Right, back after the christmas break and the water is still undrinkable.
    Has anyone been on to the council about this? Might give them a bell tomorrow cos the water really is gak!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mr. Razzcocks

Yar, water my way has been 'cloudy' for the past week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I made a cup of tea and it tasted absolutely horrible. Why do we have to put up with this kind of service. No announcment. We can't even rely on our water!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

ttm wrote: »
    Also discovered that the water quality depends on who is doing the testing on the water supply. One guy just throws chlorine in and another actually bothers to test the water and put in the recommended amount of chlorine.

And how or where did you "discover" this? Can you back up this comment?

I've had cause to be in contact with Fingal Co Co's water quality department in the past & from my dealings with them I would sincerely doubt that they would allow anyone to take such a cavallier attitude to water quality.

We've been on to the water services department and they're sending someone out to test the water.

I'm guessing that after stringent sampling and analysis they will conclude that the water is technically "minging"!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

Helmet wrote: »
    We've been on to the water services department and they're sending someone out to test the water.

I'm guessing that after stringent sampling and analysis they will conclude that the water is technically "minging"!

Any update Helmet? Our water is still very much minging :D It tastes so bad and the smell of bleach off it is disgusting!

Was talking to the lad who takes the samples.....they have to take the samples before 12 for the micro tests, so there's nobody in the house to let him in, pisser!

Anyway, he reckons that our water comes from Bog of the Ring treatment plant. According to him they've been pumping more chlorine into the water recently because the lines are running further now so have to up the levels to keep contamination down.

His "advice" was to fill the water into a jug and let it stand in the air for an hour or two to allow the chlorine to dissipate.......bollocks!!!

Should we take to the streets???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Some of the Balbriggan water comes from Leixlip,or did anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Hi sorry I meant to post re this but completely forgot.

I had a guy out at 7 in the morning two weeks ago to test the water in my house(barons hall area,balbriggan).
    He tested it for chlorine there and then and said that the levels weren't too high,they were maybe half way to the safe limit so he said thats not bad at all.

He took samples away with him to test for e coli etc but havnt heard anything back.

He said that the water comes from bog of the ring which is basically a well and there was extra chlorine put in lately(think something to do with depth of the well) but on the chlorine front the waters fine.

I was also told that all chlorine disappears from water if left to stand for half hour but i'm no scientist but find this hard to believe,maybe the smell weakens but not the amount of chlorine surely!?

hth

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

Is it just me or is all this sounding very strange? :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Nothing to do with Balbriggan and water will suprise me anymore unless they actually fix it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement