Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving trees.

Options
  • 21-12-2008 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

i want to move 3 or 4 apple trees that are in the way of a project plus they are a bit near to the garage.we have been here just over a year so i don't know how long they have been planted.they are about 6-7 feet high.is it ok/possible to dig them up and replant them if i try and save as much root as possible.i could just cut them down but they've been growing a while and would like to save them.any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Deararthur

Best time to transplant is before the leaves return and during frost free conditions. Try and dig out roots with as much soil attached as possible (do not shake the roots!!!). When you have dug out the trees there will be an inevitable damage done to the roots cut back the roots clean with a sceateurs/loppers. Cut back some of the larger branches also to compensate for the root damage. Transplant roots into prepared hole and place soil around roots firming with your foot each time. Ensure depth of hole is same a rootball. Do not let roots dry out and you should be okay!! Good Luck!!

Advertisement