Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Play.com's Monster Sale starts tomorrow

• 21-12-2008 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Just a heads up that Play.com is starting a sale tomorrow. Not sure what'll be on offer, but it might be worth a look.

JanSaleStartsTomorrowBanner.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Cool. I was running low on monsters.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It's a shame we're forced to go by Play.com's euro conversion rate, which is usually rather poor.

Will still take a look though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

I found some cheap offers that are already up, which im sure will be part of the main sale starting tomorrow; all these offers for €2.99:

Ray (2004) (1 Disc)

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/848328/Ray/Product.html

Billy Madison
    http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/98220/Billy-Madison/Product.html#

Blade: Trinity (2 Discs)
    http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/586524/Blade-Trinity/Product.html

Bram Stoker's Dracula
    http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/702414/-/Product.html

Harold And Kumar Get The Munchies (aka: Harold And Kumar Go To White Castle)

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/593712/Harold-And-Kumar-Get-The-Munchies/Product.html

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

sad that they dont deliver RAMs to Eire.
    they have good sale on RAM now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sad that they dont deliver RAMs to Eire.
    they have good sale on RAM now
    You'd get the same at your local mart ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I've noticed they've increased the price on a few things over the last couple of days, probably so they can reduce them again for the sale and make it look like you're getting an amazing bargain. It's kind of hard to stomach buying from them at the moment because the exchange rate they offer is pretty bad even factoring in delivery costs, which is what we're being charged more than likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

Just been to their site, not a mention of monster sale anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I've bought thousands of euro worth of dvds and games from Play over the years but they're taking the piss at the moment with their exchange rate of 70p to the €1 when the actual exchange rate is closer to 94p to €1 - guess this pays for their "free delivery" :rolleyes:

In addition I've noticed that some of their prices have increased lately so they can be "reduced" in the sale.

I've started buying my dvds and games elsewhere and I'm charged a real exchange rate that works out cheaper than Play.com's artificial rate and "free delivery".

Play used to be good but look at their sterling pricing, do a quick check using "currency convertor" and you'll see how much more they're charging you for paying in euro, not that they give you the option of paying in sterling like blahdvd, amazon etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

muffler wrote:
    Just when I thought muffler couldn't get any more "country"! ;)

Prosperous Dave.. we're more than aware of their piss-taking exchange rate. But can't we have one thread that doesn't descend into a bashing of Play's horrific exchange rate? They're well aware people aren't happy, and yet they're showing no signs of adjusting it.

I'd expect more stores to enforce their own obligatory euro rate to be honest.. especially with the £ just becoming weaker and weaker!

basquille wrote: »

Prosperous Dave.. we're more than aware of their piss-taking exchange rate. But can't we have one thread that doesn't descend into a bashing of Play's horrific exchange rate? They're well aware people aren't happy, and yet they're showing no signs of adjusting it.

I'd expect more stores to enforce their own obligatory euro rate to be honest.. especially with the £ just becoming weaker and weaker!

Basquille,

The OP put up the thread to notify people of Play's monster sale. Now for those who shop (or in my case, used to shop) with them, they are aware of the rip off euro pricing and so they takes their chances. However, for those who don't shop with Play, then they might think this is a good deal and would dive in and spend their hard earned and perhaps not know about Play's blatant euro conversion rip off or that Play have recently put up the price of a lot of DVDs and games just so they can be reverted to their original price in the "sale". As for their "free delivery", not so as you get charged for delivery in the lousy exchange rate that they give for the euro. I think this should be noted in any thread announcing a Play.com sale to make people aware of the sharp practices of that firm. If we don't spread the word around, then how are we going to put a dent (however small) in their business model? I for one have literally spent thousands with them over the years but I won't buy from them again until the real exchange rate is reflected in their pricing structure.

If you knew that say a good mate was going to buy from Play, would you not tell him of their dodgy conversion rate or would you stand back and let him waste his money? This is the bargain alerts forum and some good deals can be posted up here but where bad deals are being announced, someone should give a heads up to unwary punters as we all need to spend our cash sensibly nowadays.

• Advertisement

It's a dodgy converstion rate yet some of their offers still end up better value than buying from others..

For example - you'd be hard pushed finding any of those €2.99 titles above for the same price elsewhere. Not impossible I'd imagine but hard pushed.

I'd bought numerous times off Play.com since they brought in this exchange rate.. yes, it's not fair that we've to pay over the odds when compared to the UK. But couldn't care less if I can get a Band of Brothers boxset for €14!

If I see a deal at Play, I price around other online shops and funnily enough even ones that allow us to pay in sterling works out dearer than Play's "dodgy conversion rate" - if it's a good deal, go for it.

But even with this exchange rate, their deals are still popping up here and being snapped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

As dastardly as the Play conversion rate is you still have to convert it to Euro before you complete the transaction so you know exactly what you are paying so I really don't think it is that much of a problem. I use Play as often as I ever have, if its a good deal its a good deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Makaveli wrote: »
    I've noticed they've increased the price on a few things over the last couple of days, probably so they can reduce them again for the sale and make it look like you're getting an amazing bargain. It's kind of hard to stomach buying from them at the moment because the exchange rate they offer is pretty bad even factoring in delivery costs, which is what we're being charged more than likely.

Isn't that illegal though? AFAIK, prices have to remain constant for 28 days before being eligible to be dropped in sales. So if that's still the case, the price rises would have to have been made before end of November.

Or else its different because its not an Irish company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

No the law is the same in the UK but it nearly even enforced, pkus iirc the fine is very low as well if they are changed.

Mushy wrote: »
    Isn't that illegal though? AFAIK, prices have to remain constant for 28 days before being eligible to be dropped in sales. So if that's still the case, the price rises would have to have been made before end of November.

Or else its different because its not an Irish company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I emailed their tech support last night stating there is something wrong with the site as it's displaying the currency incorrectly in relation to the current exchange rate.

I wonder if they will get back to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

muffler wrote: »

sorry to steal the thread, but where do you get those prices for RAM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

doesnt appear to be a sale that i can see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    No the law is the same in the UK but it nearly even enforced, pkus iirc the fine is very low as well if they are changed.

Also they're based in Jersey which almost qualifies as an imaginary land and doesn't count as a proper part of the UK or the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Landing page for the sale, for anyone who cant find it.

http://www.play.com/HOME/HOME/6-/Campaign.html?campaign=6230&cid=1775162&P36=BM2YCY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Half the page (the important bit) doesn't load :(

Edit: It does load, just way off to the right where you can't see it without scrolling across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Is it just me or are all the games the same price that they were before this sale?

Nope, thats just Play's way of doing business, i.e. they put up the word "Sale" in big red letters without changing their prices or else they might even put the prices up. I've bought DVDs from them during one of their non "Sale" periods and found they had their prices increased a few weeks later in the "Sale", e.g. Enchanted and Grease for the kids were €5 each and 2 weeks later they were €7.50 each in the "sale" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Could have been worse you know. I was going to say that the reason the didnt post RAMS to Ireland (as mentioned in the post earlier) was something to do with the sale of live animals or maybe foot and mouth or the likes :D

Anyways B. you know "I'll never find another ewe" ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Post here if you find something good, although I've been looking and have seen bugger all that hasn't been the same price the last couple of weeks.

http://www.play.com/HOME/HOME/6-/Campaign.html?campaign=6230&cid=1775162

Merged with existing Play.com Monster Sale thread.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Merged with existing Play.com Monster Sale thread.

d'oh!

Didn't notice tehre was a thread already for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Prince of persia is there for 25 but its a pretty shocking game.

Fallout 3 collectors edition 35euro
    little big planet 35
    thats about the best of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Been looking on here. Thinking of getting either Fallout 3 or Far Cry 2 for the 360, some good prices. Which would anybody recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

GBX wrote: »
    Been looking on here. Thinking of getting either Fallout 3 or Far Cry 2 for the 360, some good prices. Which would anybody recommend?
    Get the fallout collectors edition lunchbox for €35, its a brilliant game and deal. Fallout 3 is one of the best games ever for x360. Far Cry 2 is good, but not great, its VERY hard and sometimes gets boring walking around. Id go for fallout 3 anyway, but if you like MP far cry 2 is what youd go for I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Got supernatural season 3 for 13.99. not too shabby considering i saw it in the shops for 39.99 recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

Prince of persia is there for 25 but its a pretty shocking game.

Fallout 3 collectors edition 35euro
    little big planet 35
    thats about the best of it
    Blahdvd cheaper with better service: Fall out 3 = £28.99. Little Big Planet = €17.99. £1 p&p

Advertisement