Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can people not understand the Price disparity north/south re: debenhams

Options
  • 21-12-2008 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭

The gf's mum works in debenhams blanch and was telling me today that nearly every customer is whinging on about the sterling prices on the goods, people trying to pay in sterling then getting stroppy when they cant etc.

Why cant people educate themselves on this whole thing? she actually had someone walk away from the till without paying in a strop today over this, the customer obviously thought they were right etc but jesus christ is it so hard to understand the higher vat rate, higher wages, higher costs and the fact that the stock was bought months ago at a worse sterling rate??

Im not defending debenhams as they oviously stick a bit on for themselves but walking out of a shop in a huff because they wouldnt give you an exchange rate you liked is ridculous.

Just thought i would vent.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm no expert on how the price is broken down. And I'm sure someone will start quoting figures and how the difference isn't justified, it's been 100 times before in this forum. I just don't know

But I do think the customer is a fool is they think ranting at sales and customer service staff is going to have any effect on price.
    Price is set by head office and at best, only the store management has the power to do anything.

It's like going to a pub and shouting at the teenage lounge staff if the price of a pint is high! And I've been in that sitation many times :(

Fools who try to pay in sterling deserve to laughed at

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

and if it was the other way round do you think debenhams would take so long to change the price???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

They're a business not a charity. Grow up and don't shop there if you think their margin is too high. This country is full of whingers really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

jim_bob wrote: »
    and if it was the other way round do you think debenhams would take so long to change the price???

Nobody is defending debenhams here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Jaysoose wrote: »
    The gf's mum works in debenhams blanch and was telling me today that nearly every customer is whinging on about the sterling prices on the goods, people trying to pay in sterling then getting stroppy when they cant etc.

Why cant people educate themselves on this whole thing? she actually had someone walk away from the till without paying in a strop today over this, the customer obviously thought they were right etc but jesus christ is it so hard to understand the higher vat rate, higher wages, higher costs and the fact that the stock was bought months ago at a worse sterling rate??

Im not defending debenhams as they oviously stick a bit on for themselves but walking out of a shop in a huff because they wouldnt give you an exchange rate you liked is ridculous.

Your points are good, except, the stores in Ireland don't buy their good seperately from the rest of the group.

That and the fact that I priced a coat at £150.00 that was €280.00 here. Are they taking all of the extra costs out on my coat?!!!!!

The problem would be alleviated if they had the intelligence not to show the Stg price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

This country is full of whingers really!

there arent enough whingers in this country who'll do something about it

thats our problem

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Helix wrote: »
    there arent enough whingers in this country who'll do something about it

thats our problem

Exaclty I wouldn't mind it if people actually walked the walk!

Exaclty I wouldn't mind it if people actually walked the walk!

Its simply a case of DONT SHOP THERE and if enough people do this then th epenny should drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Scottie99

nipplenuts wrote: »
    The problem would be alleviated if they had the intelligence not to show the Stg price.

+1

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Some of the Debenhams'sprices are very dodgy,

I was looking (under duress) at their Star Wars toys. The UK> Eur rate was very poor. However and more to the point , the original UK price was shocking high and was thus avoidable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Debenhams are considered expensive in the UK. Then they add insult to injury by using a 1.55 - 1.6 exchange over here.

But it no good complaining to shop staff - they have no blame in this rip off.

Simply don't shop in Debenhams until they charge more reasonable prices. I've seen local shop in Newbridge charging 30% less than debenhams for identical item.

Good news is it is likely that Oasis, Karen Millen & Coast will announce € for £ pricing for the spring season. If it happens (I'm fairly sure of it) then others will have to follow.

darc wrote: »
    Debenhams are considered expensive in the UK. Then they add insult to injury by using a 1.55 - 1.6 exchange over here.

But it no good complaining to shop staff - they have no blame in this rip off.

Simply don't shop in Debenhams until they charge more reasonable prices. I've seen local shop in Newbridge charging 30% less than debenhams for identical item.

Good news is it is likely that Oasis, Karen Millen & Coast will announce € for £ pricing for the spring season. If it happens (I'm fairly sure of it) then others will have to follow.

Bingo bongo bango....my main point is that people would rather throw some childish wobbler at the till to somebody who only works part time because they reckon they should be getting .95 of an exchange when in reality they do not have a clue how and why the prices are calculated in this manner. Debenhams are no doubt expensive and the prices they charge are really only idicative of the flagrant abuse of customers by the irish retail sector for the past five - ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

nipplenuts wrote: »
    The problem is people with no intelligence, why should the intelligent people who do understand the differences have to suffer and for these retards.

i.e. dual pricing results in lower prices for people on both sides, due to economies of scale. They just get one label printed up, they can sell it in € or £ zones, so can freely move merchandise around without the added cost of relabelling. Dual pricing should result in a lower priced product.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The only way to stop this rip off from UK retailers is to vote with your feet or contact head office and complain about the price difference.

Last Thursday I went to buy a Table and chairs from a well known UK hardware chain.

The price in the UK was £299.00,price here was €450.00
    I rang head office in the UK,told them I was going to Newry to buy the same item on Saturday and that I would no longer use this chain of stores in the Republic and they dropped the price by €70.00.

So they can obviously drop their prices at the drop of a hat if a customer complains to the right people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

Hellrazer wrote: »
    So they can obviously drop their prices at the drop of a hat.

This is my problem with retailers in the south. On the one had you have govt. banging on about patriotism - the hell with that! Shops in the south are going to do alot of price cutting to get me back in the doors.

My family and I were in Enniskillen on Saturday and my wife went into Argos looking for something for me, she won't tell me what it is. Anyway I do know it costs €99.99 in the south. More than double the price in the north.

Riv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Patriotism my 4R$€ ! Not patriotic when Harneygets her hair done for €370 abroad is it ?

But people in Ireland prefer to do it an whine and feel hard done by. Its either how they get off or how they like to live.
    I dont understand it. Just go UP THE NORTH!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Firstly I don't agree with complaining to or abusing shop floor staff at ALL.

These Euro to Sterling price increases are not 100% justifiable as some posters claim.The NCA did a survey in June revealing that there was a price differencial of 31% on a basket of identical goods in Tesco North and South of the boarder when all excises and taxes were excluded.Since then the currency exchange rates have changed by 12% which means the differencial will have widened substansially.That's just one example.

If these large chain stores are siphoning off any unjustifiable percentage for themselves in this economic climate then it is a percentage too much(often 30% too much!!!).If we pay more per item we have less to spend elsewhere.Our quality of life will suffer and so will retail employment rates. The only people we do any favour to by not complaining are fat cat bosses of chain groups like Arcadia, Tesco and Debenhams etc.What is unpatriotic is to sit back, say nothing and watch our own economy and country suffer to make a minority of greedy people even more wealthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 shifers

I think dead right for people to protest at the till and refuse to purchase. Though I would personally make my complaint to the manager and then leave the item unpurchased.

I don't expect the shops to take sterling, but i recently saw an item in Debenhams for £55, which "converted" to €83... Just makes me feel like they think we're some kind of idiots who will pay anything they ask. Anyway, I won't shop there, nor in Oasis who are equally bad for the made up prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

The only way to stop this rip off from UK retailers is to vote with your feet or contact head office and complain about the price difference.

Last Thursday I went to buy a Table and chairs from a well known UK hardware chain.

The price in the UK was £299.00,price here was €450.00
    I rang head office in the UK,told them I was going to Newry to buy the same item on Saturday and that I would no longer use this chain of stores in the Republic and they dropped the price by €70.00.

So they can obviously drop their prices at the drop of a hat if a customer complains to the right people.

this is what annoys me, no offence OP, but the company still would have made the sale no matter where you shopped so why should they bother listening. you were just proactive

you got lucky that they did what they did, also unless we all start calling nothing will happen

this is what annoys me, no offence OP, but the company still would have made the sale no matter where you shopped so why should they bother listening. you were just proactive

you got lucky that they did what they did, also unless we all start calling nothing will happen

You need to read the thread a bit better:

1. i wasnt buying from debenhams
    2. I never defended the prices once and said they are over the odds
    3. I was pointing out the fact that screaming at somebody that works part time looking for .96 exchange rate when people dont understand basic business costs etc is moronic.

• Advertisement

chilly wrote: »
    Firstly I don't agree with complaining to or abusing shop floor staff at ALL.

These Euro to Sterling price increases are not 100% justifiable as some posters claim.The NCA did a survey in June revealing that there was a price differencial of 31% on a basket of identical goods in Tesco North and South of the boarder when all excises and taxes were excluded.Since then the currency exchange rates have changed by 12% which means the differencial will have widened substansially.That's just one example.

If these large chain stores are siphoning off any unjustifiable percentage for themselves in this economic climate then it is a percentage too much(often 30% too much!!!).If we pay more per item we have less to spend elsewhere.Our quality of life will suffer and so will retail employment rates. The only people we do any favour to by not complaining are fat cat bosses of chain groups like Arcadia, Tesco and Debenhams etc.What is unpatriotic is to sit back, say nothing and watch our own economy and country suffer to make a minority of greedy people even more wealthy.

I have not seen anybody say this on this thread once, read through and you will see this.

shifers wrote: »
    I think dead right for people to protest at the till and refuse to purchase. Though I would personally make my complaint to the manager and then leave the item unpurchased.

I don't expect the shops to take sterling, but i recently saw an item in Debenhams for £55, which "converted" to €83... Just makes me feel like they think we're some kind of idiots who will pay anything they ask. Anyway, I won't shop there, nor in Oasis who are equally bad for the made up prices.

What woud you expect to happen? they are not gonna drop the price as they are unable to do so. Why wait in line with a dual priced item knowing you are going to complain and then feel all self righteous and walk out? We know its crap but then some people just like complaining and stamping their feet it appears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Hookey

Until 3 months ago I worked at the head office of a large UK retailer (I ran the online dept), with stores here in Ireland. There's a very simple reason why the Irish Euro price is so much higher than Sterling, and this applies to pretty much all retailers other than grocery; accountants. The finance dept will typically adjust its exchange rate every 3 or even 6 months (usually in line with reforecasting), because its too much hassle to do it more frequently, so lots of UK-owned chains are still working on an exchange rate from as far back as May or June when the rate was much higher. When I left we were still working to about 1.5 euro. Add in their own high street woes, and they will keep the rate for as long as they can because frankly they're going to gouge all the profit they can right now.

However, now its reaching rioting in the supermarkets stage in Newry etc. I'd expect to see most of them adjust their rates in the new year (its making their Irish stores uneconomic and screwing up store and ops targets). It will still be more expensive in the Republic due to VAT and distribution costs (although that's a pretty spurious cost if they operate in NI), but quite a lot closer. This is already starting to happen in the supermarkets and with some of the online sites (looks at Dabs Ireland and the UK and its pretty close).

Of course if the pound continues to crash then all bets are off. There's very little the UK can do to strengthen the pound without putting interest rates up (which would be a disaster for other reasons), so Ireland will continue to look expensive - that's just the downside of having a strong currency. Don't knock it, at least Newry's only a short drive away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Jaysoose wrote: »

Your first paragraph does actually sound like a defence of the position.Perhaps you were bemoaning a lack of education on the issue of supermarket etiquette.

As it happens I was refering to several posts I've read throughout boards when I wrote that,not just yours.

Also hassling staff is ridiculous but politely making your point and walking away when you realise you're being ripped off is what people need to do if things are to change.

chilly wrote: »
    Your first paragraph does actually sound like a defence of the position.Perhaps you were bemoaning a lack of education on the issue of supermarket etiquette.

As it happens I was refering to several posts I've read throughout boards when I wrote that,not just yours.

Also hassling staff is ridiculous but politely making your point and walking away when you realise you're being ripped off is what people need to do if things are to change.

My first paragraph show reasons why the price would be different, the second states "im not defending debenhams as they obviously stick something on for themselves" People looking for .95 exchange in irish shops are morons...end of.

Cant comment on other threads or posters and it isnt clear that you are talking about othe threads...Anyway we all know its a ripoff but then dont buy it. It seems irish people love to be on the high horse wasting everybodies time complaining (really badly) to people that have no control over the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

I just can't bring myself to buy anything from Debenhams... seeing the discrepancies between the UK and EURO price is an eye-opener. The only thing I use Debenhams for is window-shopping. I take my money somewhere else.

I don't believe in people getting stropping with sales staff...

The way I see it, if you have a problem with the price either:
    a) ask if that's the lowest price they can offer the good to you
    b) or simply DON'T SHOP THERE

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

. you were just proactive.....

Thats the point Im trying to make.The UK retailers have enough room with their price differences to actually give discounts if a customer complains hard enough.

Personally I got so pi$$ed off with this item in particular that I went out of my way to make a complaint about the price difference to the head office and it got me somewhere.

Irish people have a habit of giving out about everything but doing nothing about it and until that mentality changes we are all going to continue being ripped off by UK chainstores who pull the prices out of their arses just because they know that they will sell them at that price here in the Republic.

Thats the point Im trying to make.The UK retailers have enough room with their price differences to actually give discounts if a customer complains hard enough.

Personally I got so pi$$ed off with this item in particular that I went out of my way to make a complaint about the price difference to the head office and it got me somewhere.

Irish people have a habit of giving out about everything but doing nothing about it and until that mentality changes we are all going to continue being ripped off by UK chainstores who pull the prices out of their arses just because they know that they will sell them at that price here in the Republic.

Basically you complained effectively and saw little point roaring at somebody behind a till....good for you, if people complained like this then something would be done but then throwing a hissy fit in a shop is more common unfortunately and managment are not gonna do anything about it as nothing comes of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

There at least is some point here.

If I advertise a product for 20 quid sterling and also 25 quid euro, both labels on the product , I then shouldn't refuse if someone hands me an english 20 and says "there you go squire"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

If I advertise a product for 20 quid sterling and also 25 quid euro, both labels on the product , I then shouldn't refuse if someone hands me an english 20 and says "there you go squire"

Rubbish. What is the currency here? Its euro. If you are given sterling, you'll have to change it, pay commission on top of that to the banks, and then you end up with even less than €20, generally on this amount it would end up being around €19.30.

Its the exchange rate they based and projected the prices on that are way off, as someone already said, it could be up to 6 months old.

If you walked into a shop in England, and asked if you could pay for something in Euro, you'll either be politely told no, OR stared at until you walked away in shame.

I totally agree with the OP.

Don't rant and rave at the floor staff about "How much cheaper this is in the North, I could buy 12 for the price of this one, and save the price of college tutition for my half witted son to go on to be a doctor." Floor staff more often than not DON'T CARE! They are just there to earn minimum wage, go home on time, and do their shopping in the North.

Complain in the right place, then something more productive may happen, as with Hellrazer. Complain to floor staff and you'll either be politely told no, or stared at until you walk off in embarrasement, AND give them fuel to bitch about in their own time about this See You Next Tuesday that had a foaming fit and almost swallowed their own tongue.

Oh how quickly this country has gone from boasting about how much everyone was spending on anything to boasting about penny pinching.

Advertisement