Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Do you read all of the bible as non-fiction? Stuff like Genesis?

We'd be sidetracking quite a bit from the thread. To give the mods a bit of peace, how about PMing me?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

At the moment reading a book called 'Wicked Lovely'. It's quite good. I would recommend it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Decided to re-read the Phantom Tollbooth because it's my favourite children's book EVAR. I love it so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

Little Women, I love the movie so my sister thought it would be a good idea to buy me the book for Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭msbrightside

i decided to read twilight to see what all the fuss is about (some of my friends talk about ALL THE TIME)

so far i think it is extremely overrated.

• Advertisement

i decided to read twilight to see what all the fuss is about (some of my friends talk about ALL THE TIME)

so far i think it is extremely overrated.

Please don't. Oh for the love of God, save yourself the hassle and PUT THE BOOK DOWN!

*my unbiased opinion here, of course*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I read the twilight series more than a year before the first film came out and absoultely loved them all. Laughed the whole way through the film because it was so bad and then ended up hating the books because of the film :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

*giggles* wrote: »
    Little Women, I love the movie so my sister thought it would be a good idea to buy me the book for Christmas.

I'm the youngest of four girls and our cousins constantly refer to us as little women...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I read Twilight, and yes I'm very sure I'm male. I downloaded the books...illegally! :cool:

They weren't quite as awful as I thought they would be. They got annoyingly addictive, just cos I wanted to know what would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

No time for reading atm, I'm doing a portfolio so I can apply for a certain college course. Today alone I finished a short film script and a short story, I'm making fast progress. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

No time for reading atm, I'm doing a portfolio so I can apply for a certain college course. Today alone I finished a short film script and a short story, I'm making fast progress. :)

What course?

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

'The great gatsby' by F.Scott Fitzgerald. Finally got around to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Just borrowed brett ellis' "American Psycho" from the library, thought I'd give it a go. Friend of mine said it was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭kev_s88

getting ready to start reading World War Z by Max Brooks before the film comes out this year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Just borrowed brett ellis' "American Psycho" from the library, thought I'd give it a go. Friend of mine said it was great.

Some of it is brilliant, but the endless descriptions of clothes get very tiring after a while.

I started "The Bell Jar" the other night. On Chapter 7 at the mo. So far, so good! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Some of it is brilliant, but the endless descriptions of clothes get very tiring after a while.

I really liked those bits.
    It's very heavy going though, the violence is very intense. I stopped reading it for about two weeks because of it.

Though I thought it was an excellent book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

For some reason i'm reading Harry Potter again.

BTW, I haven't started "American Psycho" yet, I'm finishing Anthony Horowitz-Alex Rider Crocodile Tears first. Ya, its a kiddies book but I started the series before the movie even started being made so I'm not going to leave it now, I want to know what happens him. They are an exciting read even if this one has been released just to make money. The way the pages is formatted, very little text is required to fill one (I'll post pics later) but it means that you can read the book really quickly. Started it Sunday night, almost finished it, and I amn't even proper reading it, I'm just reading for half an hour after going to bed. If I proper read it, it'd have been finished at some stage yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Ah I remember Alex Rider books, read them in 6th class, so 6 and a half years ago?

They were good :)

Then I started reading John Grisham books (Spent a good chunk of that summer doing that!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Im reading Dead Simple by Peter James and its brilliant and only cost a fiver!!

• Advertisement

American Psycho is written in a "stream of consciousness" style:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stream_of_consciousness_(narrative_mode)

It sounds really cool, Requiem For A Dream and Ulysses are written like this. I plan to read them when this blasted Leaving Cert is done and dusted.

+1 on The Great Gatsby :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Jay P wrote: »
    the violence is very intense.

And those were the bits of the book I liked! Violence > Clothes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

*giggles* wrote: »
    It sounds really cool, Requiem For A Dream and Ulysses are written like this. I plan to read them when this blasted Leaving Cert is done and dusted.
    be prepared for ulysses,you can get a "kit" with it to decypher some of the stuff he says,my cousin studied it for here english degree and said it was mind-boggling,even the metaphors have metaphors .you have been warned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

even the metaphors have metaphors

943173786d1244218297-moonlight-xhibit.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Finished The Road on Friday (Amazzzzzing.)
    Starting Looking For Alaska tomorrow, maybe.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭knockane_ali09

i read that its a brillant book.....
    in the middle the girl who kicked the hornets nest its the third book after the girl with the dragon tattoo and if you like crime thriller you should totally read this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Reading an incredibly trashy S.A.S novel at the moment. With all the intensely dense, fact filled history books I read for college it is these types of books that keep me sane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I love that book, and Paper Towns.

Katherines......not so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Halla Basin

I'm currently reading Sun Tzu's Art of War on the fiction side and The Descent of Man on the non-fiction side. I usually read two fiction and two non-fiction at any one time, but whatever.

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    Ah I remember Alex Rider books, read them in 6th class, so 6 and a half years ago?

They were good :)

Then I started reading John Grisham books (Spent a good chunk of that summer doing that!)
    Psst! You only started John Grisham after 6th class.:P I read the Runaway Jury in 4th class and was well into James Patterson and Jeffery Deaver by 6th, reading the odd Kathy Reich's and was reading a bit of Ludlum as well but that got a bit boring!:p In the last year of so it has been Harlen Cohen and Michael Connelly.

Advertisement